Mac Mod Installation Solutions

Is it related to the error dealt with above, in post #25?

Screenshots on a Mac are available using Command-Shift-3. This puts a screenshot file on your desktop that will open in Preview. You can export it as a JPG or use it as-is.

If you use Command-Shift 4 then you can select an area of the screen instead of the entire screen.Corrected

If you add Control to the above two combinations then you can create the screenshot on the clipboard instead of in a file Corrected.
Then you can use Preview's "New with clipboard" menu option to display the screenshot in a window. This may reduce the number of files you end up with.

These commands work better in Windowed mode than in Full Screen mode in Civ4. Choose Windowed mode by holding down Command when you launch Civ4, or select it in the in-game Options/Graphics tab.

[Updated - thanks MickyKitsu]
yes, it is related to 25...sort of. I am missing an entry but it's not the same one. It's called ICON_BLDG_Hippodromus or something. I did a search but came up with nothing. I'll keep workin on it but any ideas meantime?

ICON_BLDG_Hippodromus is a reference in the PediaIcons.txt file for RFRE:

#ICON_BLDG_Hippodromus
SINGLE
art\civilopedia\icons\buildings\circusmaxlarge.pcx
art\civilopedia\icons\buildings\circusmaxsmall.pcx

It tells the software to look for files called circusmaxlarge.pcx and circusmaxsmall.pcx in the /art/civilopedia/icons.buildings/ folder in RFRE.

In the RFRE installation on my system those files are present, so it should all work fine. If they are missing in your set-up then your installation failed somehow.

If the error message is that the ICON_BLDG_Hippodromus entry is missing from PediaIcons.txt, then somehow your system is not finding the correct version of that file for RFRE.

ya exactly, so should I just type it in there or do I need to reinstall or it won't work for me or what?

ya exactly, so should I just type it in there or do I need to reinstall or it won't work for me or what?

... exactly what? If the PediaIcons.txt file in RFRE doesn't include the relevant lines, then it's the wrong file. There's probably no point in adding that entry, because there will be others missing as well. You need the right files in the right places to get the mod to work.

what am I doing wrong then???!!! I have all the folders and .biq's in the scenarios folder in Conquests data, I patched everything to 1.322, what could I have possibly done wrong? I want answers on how to fix it not explanations of how it isn't working

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I'm just trying to find out exactly what you have installed. "Ya exactly" wasn't a very precise description of the problem.

If you open the PediaIcons.txt file in your RFRE folder, do you find the lines I quoted? If you don't then the installation is not correct. That means you have installed the wrong set of files, or put some of them in the wrong place.

It isn't there when I install it.

I've installed Rise & Fall of the Roman Empire and updated it to v 1.3, and I don't have a file called LegionaryRunFoot1.wav in my /Hastati/ folder. Spotlight finds one in Civ III Complete/Civilization Game Data/Art/Units/Legionary/, so I copied that to the Art/Units/Hastati/ folder and the mod loaded up OK. I don't know whether there are any more problems if you try to play the game, but that one looks like an oversight by the mod designer.

Presumably the Windows version of Civ3 manages to search more extensively for incorrectly defined mod file paths, so it works on Windows more by luck than judgement.

Hi there,

Great compatibility thread you have here., keep it running :)
Just reading the post above, I went for a check ("damn, did we forget that file?"), but well... it is there, look!

It is an .amb file, maybe that the issue with Macs? Anyhow, I am unsure what the file does since its size is just 1 kb. Likely just a placeholder. PC users never reported a problem with the hastati unit and it was added a while ago already.

Attachments

• It is there Macfans.jpg
    It is there Macfans.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 261
Sorry if I wasn't clear, I'm just trying to find out exactly what you have installed. "Ya exactly" wasn't a very precise description of the problem.

If you open the PediaIcons.txt file in your RFRE folder, do you find the lines I quoted? If you don't then the installation is not correct. That means you have installed the wrong set of files, or put some of them in the wrong place.

sorry if I got a little mad, but you were right. There are definitely other entries missing because when I tried again after moving around some stuff it said something else was missing from the same file. I have thrown everything away and I will try again next time I feel like connecting my mac to the internet.

Hi there,

Great compatibility threat you have here., keep it running :)
Just reading the post above, I went for a check ("damn, did we forget that file?"), but well... it is there, look!

It is an .amb file, maybe that the issue with Macs? Anyhow, I am unsure what the file does since its size is just 1 kb. Likely just a placeholder. PC users never reported a problem with the hastati unit and it was added a while ago already.

Hmm. The error reported by the OP was that LegionaryRunFoot1.wav was missing. As you say, there is a file called LegionaryRun.amb, but that was not the one giving the reported error. I've no idea why the .wav file is even causing a problem, as it isn't listed in the Hastati.ini file. Could it be referenced directly from the .biq file?

No, there is no scope for such linkage in the editor. All sounds used by a unit are referred in the .ini file within the unit own folder.

I overlooked the complete name above. So, yes, no such mention to that sound file in the hastati. This is very odd.

ok i have done some more screwing around with my mac since I last posted. I finally got Civ 3 Complete patched to the latest version and i figured that would solve my problem....NOT. Now when I try loading, I get a load error message saying: File Not Found: "art\advisors\VA_all.pcx"
actually when i tried looking in the art folder, there wasn't even a folder titled "advisors" in there. what should I do? and don't say dl again cuz I've tried that at least 7 times.

I found that file in:

~/Documents/Civilization 3 Complete/Scenarios/RFRE/Art/Advisors/VA_all.pcx

I didn't find anything in that file. the scenarios file in my documents is completely empty.

in Macintosh HD\Civ 3 Complete\Conquests Data\Scenarios

I think the scenarios folder in my documents is different

Mac OS is a back-slash-free zone :) It's also generally a bad idea to put folders or files of your own on the top level of your hard drive, as you may not always have full permissions to access them. But are you saying there's no /Civ 3 Complete/Conquests Data/Scenarios/RFRE/Art/Advisors/ folder, and no VA_all.pcx file in it? If so then you haven't installed it properly.

I'm saying that there isn't and advisors folder in the art folder. and I'm certain I've installed correctly

One possibility: I assume you installed the 1.30 patch? Did you simply replace the RFRE folder with the new one from the patch? If so, you deleted a whole lot of stuff. You have to go through the RFRE folder in the patch and add new folders and files from the patch. You should never replace existing folders, only existing files.

Yeah... thats why i always wind up extracting and patching mods over in parallels, before copying them over - can overwrite folders without deleting everything.

That's what my drag and drop installer did for mods in vanilla. Trouble is I don't think it is properly set up to deal with Civ3 Complete mods that can be installed in at least three different places, and I haven't worked out a good way to deal with that ...

Top Bottom