Unique Resources

Mobilize

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
Well I am up very early in the morning browsing around the forums and an idea just came to me.. UNIQUE RESOURCES.

Let's see. Let's say that every civilization has a unique resource, every other civ can get the resource, but the civ it's unique too get's bonuses. Kind of confusing, here's an example.

Iroquois, Unique Resource = Furs
Others = Luxury 0/1/1
Iroquois = Luxury 0/1/2 (+1 to commerce)

Arabs, UR = Oasis
Others = Bonus 2/0/0
Arabs = Bonus 2/0/1 (+1 to commerce)

French, UR = Wines
Others = Luxury 1/0/1
French = Luxury 1/0/2 (+1 to commerce)

Most UR's would only add +1 to commerce but Oil, Horses, Cattle, Rubber, Aluminum on the other hand would add to productivity or food.

Just an idea. Also is there any way to implement this? I don't think so but I know I would like to see this idea. Maybe in Civ4?

bah, civ 4...lets just keep on with expansions... I like that plan better...besides they could make it possible in a patch...just simply allow civ specific traits to things...

Actually, while you can't make it so that civilizations would get bonuses from a resource everybody can get, you can quite easily make resources that are civ-specific using civ-specific techs.

I've implemented this with civ-specific Bonus Resources in my mod.

That's a great idea. I think I'm gonna implement it in my Mod just for seeing how it would work out.

Do you have any examples on how you used it, like what resources and what civs? I know your smart so I want to see your good ideas.

Well, right now, the only two I currently have are really there more for the fact that I can't add Worker functions and they are Terrace Farms for the Inca, and Kraals for the Zulu. Basically, they give high food bonuses.

As a note, Luxury Resources wouldn't be good since only that civilization can use it, i.e. no trading with other civilizations. So you DO get that +1 happiness, but you can't sell it for profit. The same goes for Strategic Resources.

Another strategy I do recommend if you want to improve the value of existing resources is civ-specific buildings that give nice bonuses and require certain resources... like a Brewery and you have to have Barley for example. Or a Jewelry Store, but you have to have a supply of Gems.

Top Bottom