how do you count the units in a SoD?

henyo10

Warlord
im having trouble counting a gigantic SoD. I can count lets say if the stack is in a city which i have espionage on but if on the field it seems impossible to count the number. I once thought that a Mongolian SoD only consisted of 20 units or so but turns out it contained 70-80 units. I could tell because my machine guns killed 2-3 units each and i had like 17 machine guns but my city still fell and i still could not count how many units were in my captured city. So is there anyway to count?

Yes. Every unit in the stack is represented when you hover your mouse over the stack, either in an individual listing or at the bottom, if the stack is too big to list each unit, where it gives you the unit type, number of that type and promotions. I do sometimes have to hit Ctrl-I (removes the interface) to make sure I start counting at the top unit, but other than that I've never had a problem counting.

F5 might help here.

@Solomwi

seems for me at prince and monarch the AI sends gigantic stacks at me every time usually 50-70 units

@DanF5771

never thought of the f5, could really work.

@Solomwi

seems for me at prince and monarch the AI sends gigantic stacks at me every time usually 50-70 units

@DanF5771

never thought of the f5, could really work.
Happens to me, too. The method I described has worked for far bigger stacks than that. I can't remember if the summary at the bottom was added in an expansion/patch or not, so it may be a version issue.

What level are you guys playing on!!!!!???? I've never seen an AI army with more than 40 units in a stack.

I think it helps to zoom in and hover the mouse over the top of the flag, not the unit icon, to make sure you're seeing the full list.

I have seen a stack of 50+ on monarch.

I think the tip is to do what the AI does. Have 2-3 units defend most cities and ambush the Ai SOD with your own SOD. This is assuming you managed to build enough units to do this and had a tech advantage. Riflemen againt horsemen and you will win most times. If the AI is foolish enough to leave a stack in a city for you to bombard to death your laughing.

I find leave an attacking AI on there own and they will soon overrun you.

A strategy on my last game is to use a vassel as a distraction. The Ai throws the stack at the vassel city. Meanwhile your stack/ units takes out 2-3+ cities. By which time the AI is begging for peace.

End of day use spys to locate the enemy stack and hope they do not detect your spys.

Try Immortal or Deity some time... I tryed a diplomatic game the other day and before I realized it I had my standard stacks of units and nothing to do with them.. You just get use to it I guess.

You don't need to go to immortal to see a gigantic SOD of more than 5 dozen units. Although, the scariest moment was a deity game when I got hit by 5 swordsmen and 3 axemen in 1920BC.

you don't need a tech advantage to knock down a SOD.
If you can have a much larger SOD, say +50% larger with that extra 50% consisting of collateral damage units you can wipe em out too with practically no losses.

I play on Prince, get SoD from the like of Shaka or Huayana with 30+ units pretty much every game.

I favor 3 cannon/arty in addition to 3 Musket/Riflemen in my border cities, as the AI still attacks after you collateral damage them all to hell.

When they work out that one and get the AI to split that one SoD into smaller attack combos, line 'em up on two or more tiles - like I do - then the party will get more interesting, more often!

Top Bottom