The Official Mac Civ3 Editor Thread

DiamondzAndGunz

Lurking
This is the official thread to post stuff about the recently released editor. For those of you that still don't have it, you can get it here:
http://www.macgamefiles.com/detail.php?item=17571
Make sure to put in in your Civ 3 folder, or it won't work!

Now, I'm a little disappointed about a few things. One, we can't Add/Remove Units/Civs/etc. Yes, I know this was added into the editor a little later, but I would still like to see it in our editor.

Next, we could use a mini-map. I know this also was added in later, but... It's just so hard to map edit without a mini-map.

Last, and least, the other "complaint" I had posted in the scenario editor thread: You can't hide the application from the Civ3Edit menu. Yech, nothing major, it's just bugging me though.

Attachments

• newapplication.jpg
    newapplication.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 713
One more thing. Mentioned in the other thread, most of the icons are really ugly and look like they haven't been updated for the increased icon sizes in X. I've taken it upon myself to edit these, at least for my personal use (I plan to use this editor a lot, and just can't stand that icon, and those in the app). I'm not sure if I can distribute my own edited icons for this editor, so I'm gonna keep em to myself, for now.

Originally posted by DiamondzAndGunz
Now, I'm a little disappointed about a few things. One, we can't Add/Remove Units/Civs/etc. Yes, I know this was added into the editor a little later, but I would still like to see it in our editor.

Next, we could use a mini-map. I know this also was added in later, but... It's just so hard to map edit without a mini-map.

Both of these were implemented with the PC 1.29f patch and editor, so yeah, it's unlikely to be implemented until/unless something happens with a Mac 1.29f patch or PTW.

Last, and least, the other "complaint" I had posted in the scenario editor thread: You can't hide the application from the Civ3Edit menu. Yech, nothing major, it's just bugging me though.

Interesting. I'll take a look. Please continue to post stuff about the editor in this thread so I can find it easier. The other thread is starting to go off on several different tangents.

I saw in the download description that OS X is required to run the editor. Just out of curiosity, has anyone using OS 9 downloaded it, and if so, how's it working?

I am thinking the same thing, I was really hoping that we would be able to add some of the many new Unit Types created. It is a shame that we can't, I hope it is added quickly? :cry:

Other than that I am still digging in the to editor

I have to agree though, the icons do need some work.

But I also am glad to have the editor out in the our hands. They could have chosen to hold onto it longer...:crazyeye:

I'm not sure if I can distribute my own edited icons for this editor, so I'm gonna keep em to myself, for now.

If you (or anyone) wants to fix the icons, I'll gladly include them in the app. Now that it's released, I can post interim/unofficial updates to the editor to my own website, so we won't have to go through this agonizing wait again.

Originally posted by Raijer
I saw in the download description that OS X is required to run the editor. Just out of curiosity, has anyone using OS 9 downloaded it, and if so, how's it working?

Tried it in 9; no dice. Upgrade to X! It's worth it :).

Originally posted by Brad Oliver
If you (or anyone) wants to fix the icons, I'll gladly include them in the app. Now that it's released, I can post interim/unofficial updates to the editor to my own website, so we won't have to go through this agonizing wait again.

Well, it's not so much as a "fix" for the icons, but I'm sure as hell gonna make them look much better. Here's a preview of what I've done with the app icon, for example.

Attachments

• icon.gif
    icon.gif
    7.5 KB · Views: 678
Hi

Wonderful that the editor is available at last. Thanks, Brad, for your work on this.

There seems to be a bug. When I try editing French city names, to make them Orléans, Besançon, etc, the editor allows the new spelling, but when I press OK and then return to the French page, the accented characters are incorrectly displayed, e.g. OrlÈans. The game itself allows accented characters in city names, of course. I have not yet tried seeing what happens when I play with the new city list.

Also, on redisplaying the civilisation's page, the editor seems to add extra characters to the last selected name in for example the great leader names or the city names box. So I got CharlemagneacArthur, for instance. I deleted the extra characters, but they reappeared with slight variations when I returned to the France page.

Hope these are easily sortable.

William (Moonwizard)

In everything at the top of a list, such as bronze working in the tech selecter, settler in the units list, anarchy in the governments list, palace in the improvements menu, etc. seem to get "nuked" by the editor, i.e., cleared of all flags, all values set to 0, etc. Also, I can't get the editor to accept some new values that I give it, such as to give all civs a scout to start out with: it makes the change, but when I close the window and re-open it, my new values have been rejected. Finally, in selection screens such as that for what civs are allowed to be played and what rules a map uses, I can't figure out how to select and deselect what options I want.

I'm running the editor in OS 10.1.4, on a 700 mHz eMac. The editor app was pulled from the unstuffed folder and placed directly into the civ app folder. Why does my editor crash? The editor begins to open, and a title screen appears, and when the title screen disappears and the dialog, "The application Civ3Editor has unexpectedly crashed. The system and other applications were unaffected." Is this just me, then?

Originally posted by snoozz
I'm running the editor in OS 10.1.4, on a 700 mHz eMac. The editor app was pulled from the unstuffed folder and placed directly into the civ app folder. Why does my editor crash? The editor begins to open, and a title screen appears, and when the title screen disappears and the dialog, "The application Civ3Editor has unexpectedly crashed. The system and other applications were unaffected." Is this just me, then?

No, it's not just you. I'm running 10.1.5 and it always says the typical crash message.

One word: frustrating.

Originally posted by nmcul
In everything at the top of a list, such as bronze working in the tech selecter, settler in the units list, anarchy in the governments list, palace in the improvements menu, etc. seem to get "nuked" by the editor, i.e., cleared of all flags, all values set to 0, etc. Also, I can't get the editor to accept some new values that I give it, such as to give all civs a scout to start out with: it makes the change, but when I close the window and re-open it, my new values have been rejected. Finally, in selection screens such as that for what civs are allowed to be played and what rules a map uses, I can't figure out how to select and deselect what options I want.

1. That doesn't seem to happen for me. Might do a few more tests, but so far, that's fine for me.

2. I can't seem to assign them scouts or anything either; the number resets to 0 as soon as i select something else. BUT if i press the up arrow to increase the quantity of that unit, it jumps from 0 to 2, indicating that there was already a value there, just not shown. I might have to test this out in game to see if its just a display error, or if it really doesnt add a scout.

3. Hold down the command button to select multiple civs/victory conditions/rules, etc. The ones that are selected are the ones that will be used.

Now, on to my questions.

Brad: Do the icon files such as "Good_Selected.png," "Overlay_Selected.png," etc, have any use whatsoever? I replaced the "Good_Enable.png" file, and whenever I select the button in the editor, it just darkens it, making no use of the "selected" file. Seems to me as though the "selected" files don't do anything. Or am I just imagining things? Are they used somewhere else in the editor, perhaps? (can't imagine where else...)

EDIT: Nevermind, brad. Found the answer to my question.

1) It doesn't do that anymore on mine either. Maybe just a first-time use incident?

2) As previously noted.

3) I don't know where you found that, but it works. Thanks! :)

Originally posted by Fier Canadien

No, it's not just you. I'm running 10.1.5 and it always says the typical crash message.

One word: frustrating.

I wonder if the infamous Brad :cool: might be able to help... If anyone else has anything, feel free to help us lost souls.

Originally posted by snoozz

I wonder if the infamous Brad :cool: might be able to help... If anyone else has anything, feel free to help us lost souls.

Yep; Brad could probably help. I have no idea whatsoever about the cause of the problem. The only difference I can see between you and me is the fact that I use 10.2.4, and you guys use 10.1. Now, the download site clearly lists the requirements as 10.1, so it should still work under 10.1, and that shouldn't be the problem.

Originally posted by nmcul
3) I don't know where you found that, but it works. Thanks!

;) It's just common knowledge. Command click selects multiple files in the Finder, for example. Then I just tested that out in the editor, it worked and that was that.

Thanks TF! You've been really helpful so far. The speed is indeed much faster on the CivFanatics.

Btw: I noticed this thread was sticked for a couple of minutes, and then was unstickied. Just kinda curious why you stickied/unsticked it.

I'm running 10.1.5 and I have the editor open on my Mac but nothing functions. I have put it in two different folders and still cannot Open or create New files. The Help file opens but I cannot open the links in it.

I'll try to download from another site.

I've finished up a couple of the different buttons, along with the app icon. I'll finish the rest tomorrow (yeah, I need sleep...).

The generate map, resources, toggle grid, and the terrain buttons are finished. Still have to do the overlays, scenario properties, and player properties.

Attachments

• civ3edit.jpg
    civ3edit.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 630
Top Bottom