best wonder

Ulan Bator

Chieftain
imho the best wonder is Leonardos workshop.
Its an easy way to get better attackers. UB

Here are a few threads on wonders:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=26309
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=26310
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=26312
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=26313
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=26315

For me, the best wonder is probably Mike's Chapel or Bach's Cathedral. Mike's makes more citizens content, but Bach's effect can't be replicated.

I think the difficulty level also changes the value of some wonders. For example, Hanging Gardens is very useful for helping cities celebrate at Deity level, but is much less critical at Prince level.

As for Leonardo's Workshop, to me it is a wonder that is most useful if you are already ahead. If you have lots of units then Leo's saves you a big effort in upgrading units (especially ship chains). On the other hand, if you have few units it is easier to upgrade them manually.

Here are a few threads on wonders:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=26309
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=26310
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=26312
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=26313
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=26315

For me, the best wonder is probably Mike's Chapel or Bach's Cathedral. Mike's makes more citizens content, but Bach's effect can't be replicated.

I think the difficulty level also changes the value of some wonders. For example, Hanging Gardens is very useful for helping cities celebrate at Deity level, but is much less critical at Prince level.

As for Leonardo's Workshop, to me it is a wonder that is most useful if you are already ahead. If you have lots of units then Leo's saves you a big effort in upgrading units (especially ship chains). On the other hand, if you have few units it is easier to upgrade them manually.
Leo's workshop will help you greatly when you're behind.

I think Mike's Chapel for sure and Leo's Workshop because it upgrades settlers to engeneers, which is crucial when doing heavy improving / terraforming.

Also Coppernicus Observatory for creating a SCC.

I quite like the pyramids for rapid growth.

Great Library is one of AI's favorites and among the least favorites of most human players. Why do you think it is best?

Great Library is one of AI's favorites and among the least favorites of most human players. Why do you think it is best?

If you play with enough AIs, you can put research at 0%, get filthy rich until you make Darwin's and Leo's and never look back after that.

Actually, Great Library is least favorite among strong human players. On the surface, Great Library actually seems quite good -- most of your research needs will be met for half the game for only 300 shields. That's actually quite appealing.

The Library becomes much less appealing when you become stronger than the AI. At that point, the extra technology is increasing the cost of researching what you really want and may make life difficult if you are planning around the tech hiding pattern. Also, good diplomacy and Marco Polo's Embassy are usually a good substitute because of tech trading, at least if you play Classic.

The Library is useful at a tool for catching up, not for speeding ahead. If I were playing against 6 strong humans, I'd put the Great Library pretty high on my list of priorities.

Leo's workshop will help you greatly when you're behind.

Perhaps I should rephrase my statement, because I rarely compare myself to the AI when assessing a game. Leonardo's workshop will help a "well established" nation much more than a nation running on shoestrings. In my experience, I find that Leo's is much more useful to me at Deity level than at Deity Plus Three (where I don't miss it very much). When Leo's becomes available at Deity level, I generally have (or am close to having) a complicated trade network and settlers on terrain improvement duty; at Deity Plus Three, my Civ has far less stuff.

I think this whole "best wonder"-discussion (in several threads throughout all those years) is rather pointless. Most of the wonders are "nice-to-have", but which one actually is the best highly depends on the actual game you play. Might be LH, Marco's, Colossus, Copernicus (especially in OCC), Michelangelo, Bach, Sun Tzu, SETI or maybe something else.
However, if I redefine "best wonder" as "that wonder that I really, really, really do not want to miss in most of my games", I think would vote for Michelangelo's Chapel.

Actually, Great Library is least favorite among strong human players.
Very well said. I agree.
If I were playing against 6 strong humans, I'd put the Great Library pretty high on my list of priorities.
Even then I think Marco beats it hands down.
I think this whole "best wonder"-discussion (in several threads throughout all those years) is rather pointless. Most of the wonders are "nice-to-have", but which one actually is the best highly depends on the actual game you play.
Very well said. I have said it many times but it is worth repeating that it depends on your strategy (how you are planning to win), your goal (early finish, high score, ...), and the map. Nevertheless, it is a favorite discussion of new comers and novice players.

I think this whole "best wonder"-discussion (in several threads throughout all those years) is rather pointless. Most of the wonders are "nice-to-have", but which one actually is the best highly depends on the actual game you play. Might be LH, Marco's, Colossus, Copernicus (especially in OCC), Michelangelo, Bach, Sun Tzu, SETI or maybe something else.
However, if I redefine "best wonder" as "that wonder that I really, really, really do not want to miss in most of my games", I think would vote for Michelangelo's Chapel.
"It's useless, but let me join the discussion":D

yeah, that's why you use arguments to your opinion. Then others do that too and in that way you share knowledge and ideas.
It's the basic idea of a forum. ;)

"It's useless, but let me join the discussion":D
"Everything has been said, but not by everybody!" :D

So to clarify on Leonardo's, it is great and usually I want to have it, but it is basically a "one-time-only"-upgrade on boats, settlers and caravans. Once you invention, you should be heading for automobile and superhighways, not caring about the loss of Leonardo's effect.
So you gotta decide whether you want your settlers to turn engineer or settle them and replace them with engineers. Whether you want your boats (usually triremes) to upgrade or disband them into better (not-unhappy) boats. Whether you have enough vans that should turn freights to improve the payouts. Well, and on some rare occasions it might be helpful to delay automobile until crusaders(+) turn cavallery or dips turn spies.

If you want to get filthy rich though, try what I call "FUND-raising", build Michelangelo, maybe Bach, and Lady Liberty, then switch to Fundamentalism. Each city then will get you 4 gold for Michelangelo and 2 for Bach (plus 2 for temples), plus taxes that should be set really high. Ignore science, at least for a while.

The best wonder is the one that a weak neighbour has just spent most of his resources building. I've picked up the Pyramids loads of times that way. Just once I got Leonardo's just after it was completed. (And I repaid the favour by allowing all his other cities to benefit from my enlightened rule.)

The one that I fight to get is Women's Suffrage. War as a democracy is so useful.

I like the Lighthouse, so I can settle on an island far away, preventing me from being wiped out in an early war.

The best wonders in MPGE have got to be Magellan's, Michelangelo's, Adam Smiths, and the Hoover Dam.

Because I play diety, Hanging Gardens is pretty advantageous too.

BTW, if anyone reads this and you still play multiplayer gold, I don't play the other civs (civ 5) because I don't bother with anything other than a basic laptop these days.

So I am always looking for multiplayers to play against. Just e-mail me at 3george33@gmail.com or icq : 620890212

The official guide says it's Leo's Workshop. Keep in mind that this is OFFICIAL. Ergo, anyone who disagrees is factually wrong. I hereby declare this debate over and myself the winner :)

--------

But seriously, anything but Pyramids. I cannot emphasize that enough. Anything but the bloody pyramids. Faster population growth just means that you get civil disorder more often, and if you insist on building aqueducts and sewers, you'll have to build them (and colosseums, and cathedrals...) sooner, screwing up the build queue. Extra population means precisely jack if they're all Elvis impersonators.

As Magic players like to say, "By turn six, either you've won the game or you haven't." The sooner you can get something, the more of a difference it makes. I can't say for sure what the best wonder is, but it would have to be one of the early-game wonders. My vote is for Oracle. Why? Same story as the Pyramids: Civil disorder and Elvis impersonators.

My vote is for Oracle.

What goal do you play for? I think the Oracle is used in some early landing strategies, but other than that, it isn't usually regarded as a very good wonder. It has two major drawbacks. The first is that you need to build temples to get any effect (not to mention the cities have to be big enough to need the extra contentment). The second is that it is made obsolete by Theology, which makes the much better Bach's Cathedral available (not to mention the extra content citizen for cathedrals).

The sooner you can get something, the more of a difference it makes. I can't say for sure what the best wonder is, but it would have to be one of the early-game wonders.

The trouble with this statement is that you don't "get" Wonders, you build them. Building a wonder, especially an early wonder, takes resources that would otherwise be used to build more cities. So with early wonders, you have to weigh the cost of diminished growth to the benefits you get from it.

Of the "early" wonders, Marco Polo's Embassy is, in my opinion, the most game changing. Lighthouse, Colossus, Hanging Gardens, and Pyramids are nice to pick up, but are usually better the longer you can put them off. They give most of their benefits in the "middle game," so it doesn't matter too much when you get them.

Top Bottom