Tech-Tree Z-Index?

Thezezeal

Chieftain
Hey everyone :)

I was wondering, is there a kind of Z-Index for the tech tree?

What I was thinking (only planning stage now) was a Civ with a unique tech-tree, whilst the other Civs would still use the Vanilla one. Since the physical buttons wouldn't matter to the game, I was planning to just 'overlay' my new technologies across the old-ones, and basically re-create the whole layout. So, what happens if two techs are on the same slot? How does the game decide which is the 'top' one you can click?

Obviously a 'better' method would be to somehow hide the Vanilla Techs, but I don't think that's possible?

I'm also wondering... Is there a way to make a tech 'unlearnable'? Because my plan was to have an initial perquisite (like Agriculture is by default), that my Civ would get, and the others wouldn't, but I'm concerned they might research the new one; so I'd need a way to block that off.

Thanks for any help :)

Make the pre-requisite "Future Tech"? Not the most elegant of solutions, but at least it works (for all intents and purposes :lol:); also set all associated flavors to 0, so the AI will never bother to pick it.

Thanks, that seems to have done it :D

Right, I have another issue... I'm getting CTD on starting an actual game now (as in, after picking my Civ). Looking at the logs, I get this...

Code:
[519593.140] ERROR: Building does not contain valid BuildingClass type!!

And removing the 'Buildings.xml' from my Actions (since that contains <buildings>), resolves the issue. I understand what it's saying, but... The buildings I am using are all exact copies of Vanilla/G&K/BNW buildings, just with their <Type>, not their actual BuildingClass. They all have unique IDs but still have their default class.

Any ideas what's up?

Thanks, that seems to have done it :D

Right, I have another issue... I'm getting CTD on starting an actual game now (as in, after picking my Civ). Looking at the logs, I get this...

Code:
[519593.140] ERROR: Building does not contain valid BuildingClass type!!

And removing the 'Buildings.xml' from my Actions (since that contains <buildings>), resolves the issue. I understand what it's saying, but... The buildings I am using are all exact copies of Vanilla/G&K/BNW buildings, just with their <Type>, not their actual BuildingClass. They all have unique IDs but still have their default class.

Any ideas what's up?

Its hard to tell without any informations about your mod, but a building without the related building class is always a direct ctd.

Edit :

Yes, I seem to have resolved all of my issues :D Thank-you for the help!

OK, one last issue (I think :/ ) There are 'buildings' which convert production to gold and science... Where do I find these? I seem to have not located them :/

Hmm, all my problems WERE solved... And now they're not again :/

I left it once it was working, and came back to it; I've only updated the Text entries for a few buildings, and now I'm getting the same 'BuldingClass' issue... Is there any way to make it give me more information on WHICH building it thinks has a problem?

whoward69's zip your mods and attach tutorial. Otherwise it's awful hard to tell which of the most-common new-modder mistakes you are probably making. Or you may be making a mistake that isn't commonly made by newer modders, which is even more difficult to diagnose without the mod to look at.

Thank-you for the reply and link :D

I've been away a little, so took me a while to reply :/ I've narrowed it down to one set, so that's good :D I'm gonna try and see if I can work it out myself, and if not I'll return :) ::fingers crossed::

Thanks again! :D

Top Bottom