The King of the World Throne Room

Kyoto - Elizabeth
[...]
Karakorum - Hatty

I would swap these. Kyoto is very similar to London; an island that you get 3 cities on. It would be more interesting, IMO, to see Elizabeth on the continent. Say, in Karakorum. Hatty, on the other hand, is always on the continent, so it would be good to see her on one of the islands to start with, say, Kyoto.

As long as civs have reasonable access to the materials needed for their unique unit it sounds like fun. I wouldn't want to see Hatty put somewhere without horses within reach (like South America).

Looking forward to this game Neal. HC on the Nile is going to be awesome!

Slight digression about Earth map tweaks: After playing around with it in a few games I've found HC does a lot better if an Andes pass is placed farther south rather than directly into the jungle, which seems to hinder him almost as much as the mountains. Try putting the pass 1E of the southern copper sometime and watch a new world power emerge... (I understand you don't want to help Qin this time out though!)

If we're altering geographic locations and modding the Andes, why not add horses to the new world and allowing some degree of balanced resources. This gives the western hemisphere a chance when the east comes visiting before the age of tanks.

If we're altering geographic locations and modding the Andes, why not add horses to the new world and allowing some degree of balanced resources. This gives the western hemisphere a chance when the east comes visiting before the age of tanks.

Perhaps because horses aren't native to the Western Hemisphere? :p

Though I have lately played Earth34 instead of Earth18 ( so I don't know how good the comparison is), I've had good results for the Inca by opening up the Andes for them in Ecuador, so that there is a only a coastal route open to them. Since barb units don't seem to step on resource tiles unless you've got a unit on them, this also allows the Cuzco location to grow in peace as it is sheltered by the dye tile to the North.
I also tried once to allow them access both through the North and the South through Chile, but that caused them to grow rather too fast IMO (the road to Cuzco is similarly shielded by the Chilean copper tile here).

The geographic alterations are merely making the map more comparable to the real world.

For example in the real world panama is passable (no massive mountain blocking it) and you can in fact go along the caost to colombia without running into the Andes (and for that matter pass into argentina through the mountains.

The geographical alterations are therefore within reason, as merely correcting the map to make it more realistic.

---

The whole point of switching civs is to see how they'll do in a different position. Adding resources to help people in said positions would be counter-productive to the purpose of switching people around.

I think the map was made with the intention of historical realism. The Europeans and East Asians show up in North America only to find several backwards civilizations.
neither are humans...pigs...cows...or for that matter any other animals

Wait, what?

Well a few animals are native to the New World, but not many.

Anyway, perhaps Roosy can go where Thebes usually is? He is industrious after all.

Apparently the diverse creatures of the Amazon don;t exist then:lol: The amazon alone is home to an estimated 50% of the worlds species.

There are however relatively few domesticable animals native to the america's and the ones that exist are not placed in game.

Sorry, I meant North America. I forgot about that jungle. :p

But, if you believe in plate tectonics, South America was connected to Africa, so yeah.

Apparently the diverse creatures of the Amazon don;t exist then:lol: The amazon alone is home to an estimated 50% of the worlds species.

There are however relatively few domesticable animals native to the america's and the ones that exist are not placed in game.

From a civ standpoint, only Deer and Furs exist in the new world (though Cows might be substituted for RL Bisons)
OTOH, why can e.g. horses only exist in one plot, i mean, they could be fed and bred on any grassland as soon as you have some stock..

Looks fascinating; I've just shuffled everyone around according to Neal's plan, and will start (Prince, Epic) as Catherine in ... well, where London used to be. Suspect Rome and Persia will be massive...

I think the original neolithic Native Americans caused the extinction of horses along with most North American megafauna when they arrived 10.000+ years ago, at least it happened at about the same time. Even before agriculture and large societies humans were frighteningly effective predators.

Watch out for Greece. Alexander seems to do much better then Germany in that location.

---

Despite the perceptin to the contrary Native americans were just as bad at ruining the environment as eeryone else. You just need to go through the list of extinct pleistocene fauna to see that.

The new game is up. I figure this is the place to have the "PETER!?!?!?!?!?" discussion. Basically, it came down to three things: On the Earth map, Louis is Creative, and Elizabeth is not. On the Shuffle map as originally posited, Catherine is Creative, while Saladin is not. Elizabeth can make up for that disadvantage by being able to settle more cities on the British Isles. Being stuck in France without Creative, Saladin will have no such luxury. So I did it for him. Secondly, Catherine is one of the "core" leaders, and I feel that she deserves a better game than the freakshow this game could potentially devolve into. And finally, well, after the last game, the Cathy jokes are a little played out, wouldn't you agree?

The new game is up. I figure this is the place to have the "PETER!?!?!?!?!?" discussion. Basically, it came down to three things: On the Earth map, Louis is Creative, and Elizabeth is not. On the Shuffle map as originally posited, Catherine is Creative, while Saladin is not. Elizabeth can make up for that disadvantage by being able to settle more cities on the British Isles. Being stuck in France without Creative, Saladin will have no such luxury. So I did it for him. Secondly, Catherine is one of the "core" leaders, and I feel that she deserves a better game than the freakshow this game could potentially devolve into. And finally, well, after the last game, the Cathy jokes are a little played out, wouldn't you agree?

Cathy jokes are never played out, but still I agree on your logic with Peter. I would have been funny to culture crush Sal though.

I like taking the British islands so we get a good idea how these leaders play out in their new homes since the intelligent human will be staying out of world affairs, or at least off the mainland (at least that's I thought you said!).

Top Bottom