Gameplay feedback

Agent327

Observer
(I thought I already had included a thread for this, with screenshots...)

If people feel the need to tell their game stories (or just post a screenshot) this is the place for it!

Here's a screenshot from a testgame with something appearing I've never noticed before: as the Humans I founded Knowledge; apparently I forgot to send an Advocate to a colony and then this happened

Attachments

• Knowledge spreads0000.JPG
    Knowledge spreads0000.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 393
No. I just almost never see a value spread automatically, not even to an owned star system.

I think it's also random. Sometimes in huge civ games a religion spreads to the other side of the planet on a different continent with whom you have no contact, or at least no trade route.

I can accept this, there might've been a lonely, very devouted pilgrim that went there by himself, or hitched a ride ;)

On a planet, yes. But I've never seen it before in MOO2Civ (I did, repeatedly in Star Trek mod, though.)

In the last game I played I only built two knowledge advocates, the rest was spread automatically, and very quickly, it was weird! In not long the entire galaxy had converted to knowledge. It could have been related to the fact I had open borders with everybody too.

I actually think disabling the spread of a value through influence would be better. Is there any benefit to giving it to another player? Sure they like you more but is there a money benefit like in vanilla civ4?

Don't think so, no. Also, I usually have Aggressive AI on. (How do you get Open Borders so early? Is this with your own tech tree or what version were you playing?)

Don't think so, no. Also, I usually have Aggressive AI on. (How do you get Open Borders so early? Is this with your own tech tree or what version were you playing?)

I think I got open borders so early because of the change to allow trading across space in the new tech tree. All the AI's wanted open borders right away and it made it so I didn't have to keep the taxes at 40% to be making money, I pretty much kept them at 70% the whole time.

Yes, I've noticed with Open Borders being available much earlier, the AI will sign open borders quite easily. Don't know if this is realistic though, especially with Xenophobic or Repulsive races, such as the Klackons and Silicoids.

Also, without modding you can set No Tech Brokering on as a playing option.

I agree that they were entirely too friendly with the open borders. I remember always having to give a tech or two to get them to open borders. I don't know how to change this though.

Hm. Apart from attitude modifying, the easiest way would be to move back the ability to have Open Borders in the tech tree (when a number of wars will most likely have occurred). But even then (as in the pre-new tech tree situation) Open Border agreements weren't hard to accomplish; I don't think I ever had more than 1 or 2 races that didn't agree to it.

Minor annoyance could tweak this as he's changing personalities. (Open borders seems like the equivalent of a trade treaty, right?)

Well, that's up to him. (And yes, if you sign Open Borders you get a little treaty icon on the main screen after that race's name, just like in the regular game. BTW, I also noticed contact with another race now immediately results in trade with that race - again indicated by a little trade icon after the race's name in the score list.)

Was it possible to trade with races that you aren't open borders with? I noticed that I was trading with them too, but I think that happens in BTS as well. I'm not sure why but it should be changed for sure. I have no idea how though.... :confused:

I don't know: trade doesn't equal Open Borders (the latter allowing your military to enter another race's territory). I'm thinking that, realistically, some trade will continue even if you're at war.

In the last game I played I only built two knowledge advocates, the rest was spread automatically, and very quickly, it was weird!

Confirmed. I used to send an advocate right after a Colony Ship, but now they sometimes arrive too late, as my value has already been adopted on the newly founded colony!

Also, values seem to spread more easily to other races' systems. ;)

Forgot I wanted to add a screenshot: this happened after I ignored the fact I discovered my now enemy had 4 Destroyers plus 2 Invasion Ships on his home planet; my new colony didn't have a defender yet, but had just grown to size 2...

Attachments

• Silicoids declare war!0000.JPG
    Silicoids declare war!0000.JPG
    132.5 KB · Views: 258
Wow, the Sillicoid were being sneaky there! I wondered if the AI would do such a thing if I left planets undefended. Devious to declare war out of nowhere to take your star just before you got it defended. :)

Currently I build my first three colonies without defenses because they can build marines before the AI can get things there to attack but after that barbarians start wandering around they make me too nervous to leave a star without defenses. :)

I've started transporting ground troops to newly colonized stars now so they can be defended sooner and can start building automated factories first to speed up their production. I think it works great!

Actually I don't dare found a colony without dropping an on-board Marine there anymore. I've noticed there are some races that don't go for the Colony Ship tech, but start building Destroyers and Invasion Ships. On two occasions one of the races was being eliminated within the first 100 turns. (So my founding a colony quite near the Silicoid homeworld was a gamble that didn't pay off - for me at least...)

Hmm, should I weight the tech so the AI will research colony ships first? I usually go for knowledge first, then colony ships then automated factories. Then wherever after that.

Or should we just let the AI do whatever it feels (it does make the game more interesting).

Personally I don't think it's a problem that certain AI prey upon other players. Perhaps if other players think it should be changed? (BTW, I think I was playing at Hard level and I tend to have Aggressive AI on.)

Top Bottom