New Cumulative history Quiz VII

So,

1. A language known in 1512 in Venice, well known enough to have a book printed in it...

That narrows it down...

Though it could be any European or Middle-Eastern language. India might be a bit of a stretch.

2. Significant enough to have a Bible printed in it in 1666 in Amsterdam. 1666 is a rather late date for it to be a major European language...

3. And presumably with enough speakers in Madras to have a newspaper published there in 1794. Let's see - major European merchant communities... English, French, Dutch, Portuguese... Spanish... German... Danish?... Catalan?... Greek? Armenian?...

I'll go with Armenian.

There are three great Russian Emperors of the seventeenth century, each for modernizing/Westernizing a different aspect of Russia. Peter the Great, for borrowing Western technology; Catherine the Great, for borrowing Western ideas...who is the third, and what did they borrow from the West?

Are you sure you mean 17th century not 1700s? IIRC Catherine reigned in the 1700s so...

Are you sure you mean 17th century not 1700s? IIRC Catherine reigned in the 1700s so...
Yeah, I thought of this too...if it is 1700-s, then after Peter I and Catherine II is out, we are left with a bunch of relatively insignificant people, none of whom can really be called "great".
An exception could be Elizaveta, who can be said to have "borrowed" Berlin. But I don't think this can be called modernizing?
So unless Cheezy wants us to say that Peter III borrowed capitalism, I really can't guess what the answer is.

Catherine reigned from the 1760s to the 1790s. In the 1700s she had not yet been born.

"1700s" means the first decade of the eighteenth century - not the whole century.

Catherine reigned from the 1760s to the 1790s. In the 1700s she had not yet been born.

"1700s" means the first decade of the eighteenth century - not the whole century.

In the US frequently when we say things like the 1700s we mean the entire 18th century :blush:

CHEEZY I TAKE ISSUE WITH YOUR VAGUE STATEMENTS
In the US frequently when we say things like the 1700s we mean the entire 18th century :blush:
No, only Catholics do that

I know. But that's wrong, not to mention confusing (what do you call the first decade of the century then?).

I like to say the Noughties :)

My textbook says Peter didn't want to westernize Russia

Then your textbook is stupid.

If it helps, Yeekim was right, the empress in question is Yelizaveta Petrovna.

I know. But that's wrong, not to mention confusing (what do you call the first decade of the century then?).

Call it whatever you want, just don't call it late for dinner. :3

No, only Catholics do that

All of my history teachers have done that and between them I've had Calvinists, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Greek Orthodoxy and an Atheist and they have all done that so I resent your false statement

If it helps, Yeekim was right, the empress in question is Yelizaveta Petrovna.
She was also remarkable in that, allegedly, during her rule not a single convict was executed in Russia... could the answer thus be "humanism"?
EDIT: or possibly "fashion"? As most female rulers, she also had a gigantic wardrobe. Maybe she could be declared somewhat responsible for introducing Western-style clothing into Russian court?

(what do you call the first decade of the century then?).

The aughts, if you're old fashioned. Otherwise, either specific dates, early x century, other general vagueries, or just avoid it althogether :)

Top Bottom