So what does one think of the iPad (not iSlate/iTablet/iWhatever) ?

Cheetah

Deity
Apple is holding a press conference and will in all likelihood launch their new product:

A tablet pc that will probably look like an extra large iPhone.

Ars Technica is doing a live blog. EDIT: To much traffic. Everywhere. Neowin has a bunch of reporting links though.

Personally, I think the hardware is going to pretty amazingly cool. And the software will look good, but have way to many limitations for my taste. I doubt this product is what will turn me into an Apple-fanboy, but one never knows...

What does everyone else think?

It'll probably be a pile of iWank.

Honestly, no idea. Shiny with one button? People I know who have bought Apple products seem to suddenly transform into totally different people. It scares me.

Then it's official: iPad

Better than iSlate anyway.

Pics:

Specs:
0.5" thin and weighs just 1.5 pounds.
9.7" IPS display, which has “great angle of view” and multitouch of course.
It’s powered by a 1GHz Apple A4 chip, and has 16GB to 64GB of flash storage.
It has 802.11n, Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR. 30-pin connector, speaker, microphone, accelerometer and compass.
And 10 hours battery life.

It'll probably be a pile of iWank.

Honestly, no idea. Shiny with one button? People I know who have bought Apple products seem to suddenly transform into totally different people. It scares me.
I'm feeling drawn to the dark side already...

Spoiler article :
Apple announces ‘iPad’ touchscreen tablet
Steve Jobs calls it 'truly magical' and 'revolutionary' device
By Suzanne Choney
updated 12:27 p.m. CT, Wed., Jan. 27, 2010

After months of rampant speculation, Apple Wednesday announced a touchscreen tablet computer, the "iPad" for consumers who want to take their movies, TV shows, music, games and reading with them, be it around the house or on the go.

"We want to kick off 2010 with a truly revolutionary and magical product," CEO Steve Jobs told a packed audience at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco on Wednesday.

"So far it really looks like an oversized iPod Touch, which is great, but if that's it, price will be paramount," said Avi Greengart, Current Analysis analyst, blogging from the event itself for Reuters news service.

The iPad weighs about 1.5 pounds, is 0.5 inch thin, has a 9.7-inch display and should have a battery life of 10 hours, Jobs said. It uses what he called Apple's own 1GHz A4 chip The tablet has the company's online iTunes Store built into it, as well as YouTube in high-definition.

Apple's new product comes at a time when e-readers, like Amazon's Kindle and others from Barnes & Noble and Sony are on the market, with more coming this year from companies such as Samsung and the Hearst Corp.

Last year, about 3 million e-readers were sold. Estimates are another 6 million will be sold in 2010 according to the Yankee Group. The Kindle, which has a 6-inch screen and sells for $259, has the bulk of the e-reader sales.

"There are about 6 million people who are gearing up this year to buy an e-reader. And they’re going to spend between $250 and $700 on it," said James McQuivey, Forrester Research principal analyst. "They are already people who care about media, and who are willing to spend money on media."

"So, if you can say to them, 'Gee you can spend $350 on a dedicated book reader, or you’re going to get this amazing Apple device at twice the price, but with the ability to do much more than read books,' " then Apple's tablet has a good chance of success, he said.

While many of the tablet's functions — Web surfing, movie watching, music listening — can be handled on netbooks, lighter and relatively inexpensive laptops, Apple isn't viewing its tablet as a laptop without a keyboard, McQuivey said. "Apple sees this as a personal media experience that they can create."

The tablet's "most revolutionary impact is on the way people consume media in the home," he said. "You take it from room to room, you dock it next to your bed, it becomes your alarm clock. You dock in the living room, it’s a photo frame and a video server for your TV; you dock it in the kitchen, and it displays your recipes for you."

Other major companies are coming out with their own tablets, with many of them announced at the Consumer Electronics Show earlier this month.

HTC and Google are reportedly jointly working on a tablet. HP and Dell are each planning their own tablets. Microsoft may be too, although during CEO Steve Ballmer's speech at the Consumer Electronics Show, he shared an HP slate prototype, not Microsoft's talked-about "Courier" tablet (Msnbc.com is a joint venture of NBC Universal and Microsoft.)

Pen-based tablet computers have been tried over the past decade with little consumer success, although they have made inroads in the business world.

Strong sales of Apple's device are not guaranteed, especially with a still-shaky economy and netbooks — with prices of between $300 and $400 — continuing to be popular.

What may help Apple, said McQuivey, is that the company "isn’t thinking" of tablets as "selling laptops without keyboards," as other manufacturers do; "Apple sees this as a personal media experience that they can create."

ChangeWave Research, which surveyed 3,314 consumers this month, said there is "strong consumer interest" in an Apple tablet, and that 75 percent of those who are interested say they'd be "willing to pay $500 or more," and 37 percent say they would pay more than $700.

Shopping site Retrevo.com's survey of 500 consumers found that 70 percent of them said they will not spend more than $700 for an Apple tablet. Also, 44 percent said they would not buy such a device if it requires a monthly data plan for Internet access.

And while the iPhone and iPod have been huge sellers for Apple, the company has had its share of product launches that went "thud."

Among them, the 1993 release of the Newton MessagePad, a pen-based tablet that cost around $800; the Power Mac G4 Cube in 2000, and Apple TV in 2007, a set-top box for streaming audio and video to a TV from a computer's iTunes program

The Associated Press and Reuters contributed to this report.
© 2010 msnbc.com Reprints

So it's a media player that'll cost $750. What am I supposed to be impressed with again?

Actually, I'm kind of relieved. It's not a tablet, really, and isn't in the same market segment or price point as Lenovo's X-tablet series. It's also not exactly a netbook, as it's twice as expensive as a netbook.

iPod - iPhone - iPad

It's the third product in the trilogy, It'll be the Godfather 3 of Apple products.

That is one big "phone". :lol:

Looks cool. Hope they have some good apps to make it actually useful.

All the apps from iPhone and such can run on it, it seems. And a new SDK will make it easy to develop apps for iPad, iPhone and iPod at the same time...

I don't like the big frame.

I wonder how well this will sell. It's not as small as a phone and not as powerful/usable (for tasks like writing and working) as a laptop.

It's like an Apple Newton. :D

What unique capability it has except as an oversized media playing touch screen?

As someone who loves his iPod touch and is getting an iPhone...

... useless as an upscaled iPod touch. If it were something you could slide into a docking station and use as a monitor (albeit a small one) with more powerful computing behind it, I might be interested (assuming I didn't have to buy a whole new computer).

edit: lol, Ochocinco is in that presentation. Awesome. If I feel like paying twice what I'd pay for a kindle, I'd consider it just for having Ochocinco on it

The Cracked! article on it summarizes my thoughts.

I've been strongly urged not to give links to sites with words that can shatter the delicate psyches of CivFanatics forum goers.

A few more details can be gleaned from this commercial:

Link to video.

Stevie Wonder version. Looks to be a prototype:

Link to video.

Another prototype in the lab:

Link to video.

Another prototype being used by an artist with a scared Apple employee looking on:

Link to video.

Since that commercial doesn't have some quirky indie song, I'm not buying it.

Yay, another piece of equipment people would unintentionally break the screen.

TBH, I am happy with just a iTouch. Just the right size if I am on the go.

and Microsoft is perhaps going "FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF" right about now.

Top Bottom