Your experience playing MP games with new patch.

Rinnero

Chieftain
Is there really no lag/freeze/crash?

How many people can play the game without issues with stability now?

First of all, since I bought Civ 5 vanilla, the game has always been very problematic for me in MP. Both vanilla and G&K, when it came out, were prone to crashes, freezes, problems with loading saved games, etc. etc. I say it for proper context.

Yesterday I played a test game with a friend. Two people and a bunch of AI, so far. But:

- turn times are VASTLY better now on my computer;
- no crashes for almost 200 turns, when we finished for the day;
- no disconnects, no problems or glitches of any kind;
- saved games load properly, which had hardly been the case before (we tested the save we made after we finished playing);
- another friend, who could not play MP for some unknown reason (the game would always crash) now experiences no problems whatsoever;
- Hybrid mode works correctly, as far as we could tell;
- disconnecting and reconnecting does not cause any problems, and is actually pretty fast. You are not taken to a loading screen when someone reconnects, the game is merely paused. So it's possible to look at the map while waiting. I haven't tested if city screens, tech tree etc. work properly when waiting for the player to reconnect. That's among the next things I'm going to check.

All in all, the game seems to work near-perfectly, especially compared to the awful performance before.

Soon I am going to try out if the game works smoothly for a larger number of players and/or AI. I'll post when this happens.

I can't even figure out how to start a game. After selecting the map, civs and whatnot, there's no Start button anywhere. There are just buttons for Invite and Save, which I have no idea what it does.

I can't even figure out how to start a game. After selecting the map, civs and whatnot, there's no Start button anywhere. There are just buttons for Invite and Save, which I have no idea what it does.

After the patch, once everyone has joined and clicked "ready", the game automatically starts within 10 seconds. Have you made sure that all slots are filled in or closed, and that all players are ready?

After the patch, once everyone has joined and clicked "ready", the game automatically starts within 10 seconds. Have you made sure that all slots are filled in or closed, and that all players are ready?

Oh, it starts automatically... I will try that then, thanks :)

As NQ can tell so far, we have found a dozen or so bugs in Hybrid mode and it appears sometimes glitchy, particularly in regards to Hotjoins.

Also! Hotjoins appear not to have been fixed well and the system actually now appears to promote time outs. Outside of those big issues, its been 'ok'

As NQ can tell so far, we have found a dozen or so bugs in Hybrid mode and it appears sometimes glitchy, particularly in regards to Hotjoins.

Also! Hotjoins appear not to have been fixed well and the system actually now appears to promote time outs. Outside of those big issues, its been 'ok'

Can you specify a bit? What are the exact bugs? What does glitchy and timeouts mean?

i hope its not gamebreaking like getting several techs with one GS or unabling to load...

I tried a game with five humans on a large map, one of us kept dropping from the game in the early stages.

We then had that guy host and one other guy dropped out, and then we were able to play to around turn 100 before we had more problems and called it a day.

I think the thing to do is to play on the smallest map size that will hold your number of players and fill the rest of the slots with AIs at high difficulty levels.

I tried a game with five humans on a large map, one of us kept dropping from the game in the early stages.

We then had that guy host and one other guy dropped out, and then we were able to play to around turn 100 before we had more problems and called it a day.

I think the thing to do is to play on the smallest map size that will hold your number of players and fill the rest of the slots with AIs at high difficulty levels.

Or just don't play with AI, that makes everyone's computers work harder and weaker computers may lag behind and cause drops. I'd suggest testing the new patch without as much AI code as possible and see how it performs, and then add in CS, and AI civs one at a time to see how that effects things as compared to before the patch.

CS

I can't get into a game no matter what I try. I go into Internet select a game, and then get kicked or everyone else does. Its borked.

Played my 1st game(public for instance) since new patch and we were all there(6/6) after the turn 100. No auto reloads anything. The host put hybrid as i wanted to test it. It's a nice feature but it takes way too much time for non stop games. If you play with friends and don't bother to save and load the game until its done then i think it's pretty good.

Does the host can boot a player anytime in the game and without any real reason(no votes or something)? Sounds harsh.

Top Bottom