iAIPerEraModifier

Oldlamehand

Chieftain
I was trying to understand some items from civHandicapInfo.xml.
There is an item iAIPerEraModifier. The item is described as: "A modifier which, multiplied for the current era, affects units cost, buildings cost, projects cost, unit support, unit supply, inflation rate, war weariness, civic upkeep, required food for city growth, unit upgrade cost. (in percent)
(0 for chieftain, 0 for noble, -5 for deity) "
For emperor level, this item equals -3.
Does it mean that on emperor level discounts for AI for unit cost, unit supply, upkeep etc. is increased each era by 3%, so the AI bonuses are getting more and more significant, when AI reaches new era?

Does it mean that on emperor level discounts for AI for unit cost, unit supply, upkeep etc. is increased each era by 3%, so the AI bonuses are getting more and more significant, when AI reaches new era?
Thats what it means, though i'm not sure if its the AIs era, or the 'game' (average) era

Thats what it means, though i'm not sure if its the AIs era, or the 'game' (average) era
This is probably one of the reasons, why I'm having problems in mid or late game on emperor level. As there are 7 eras, it means, at the end the AI bonuses are 18% higher than at the beginning.

This is probably one of the reasons, why I'm having problems in mid or late game on emperor level. As there are 7 eras, it means, at the end the AI bonuses are 18% higher than at the beginning.

Likely. I think the intent is to help the AI keep up with the player who is running away, but if you aren't running away...or worse, if one of the AIs is running away...things go downhill.

I don't like the iAIPerEraModifier, it mainly benefits the top civ which doesn't need it.
A modifier like this, should only help the weakest civs.
Maybe I'll try a few games with this modifier set to 0, because it annoys me for very long time.

I don't like the iAIPerEraModifier, it mainly benefits the top civ which doesn't need it.
A modifier like this, should only help the weakest civs.
Maybe I'll try a few games with this modifier set to 0, because it annoys me for very long time.

You want challenge or cakewalk AI? The AI needs it. Anyways, it's only starting EMP, IIRC, that those bonuses start to kick in.

Each its own. So, different from one to another. Since most players don't play til Future Era, thus it's effectively 6 era changes. The bonus goes from 1% (for Prince IIRC) to 5% on deity. Hence, the reknown 30% discount on modern era allowing the deity to run away insanely.

Awawa.

Hence, the reknown 30% discount on modern era allowing the deity to run away insanely.
In other words : the AI doesn't need it.
Besides the AI getting a bigger bonus, the human player gets more handicapped when going up in level.

Doesn't matter if the AI has 15 or 150 units on a tile in the modern ***cough*** Nuclear era.

AmIRight?

Hence, the reknown 30% discount on modern era allowing the deity to run away insanely.

I believe it's 25% actually, since the ancient era actually counts as 0 and the AI get's no additional discount, so the modern era is era 5.

I can see why they added it, but I don't like it since it can make the game unwinnable if you aren't already winning by the mid-game. That's why I started modding the SDK to give the AI bonuses when it needs it instead.

I prefer to have a bonus system for the AI based on ranking each turn and the position of the human player.
So, when the human player is at the top, all AIs get a bonus the next turn depending on their ranking. The lowest AI gets the biggest bonus.
(In civ2 the AIs got an extra 20% bonus around 1750 AD when the human player was the topscorer.)

Top Bottom