some good 80's songs...

Istanbul " not Constantinople" was written by Jimmy Kennedy in 1953. However in 1988 They Might be Giants did a remake of the song. Look at the title of this thread. Some good 80's songs. Btw I believe you failed to get the joke. A two part joke- Ottomans, and listening to a constant reply of the song for hours on end.

Oh, I was aware of all that, I've just met far too many people who were firmly convinced that TMBG wrote that song, I just wanted to make sure people knew.

And I did get the joke. ;)

When I play crowded maps, as I often do, I usually play Queen -I Want It All - to get me in the right aggro-mode.

If I'm in an 80's mood, I'll listen to things like 80's metal or hard rock, or even some of the "overproduced" 80's rock, like Def Leppard. My preference is for things like Michael Schenker, UFO, Black Sabbath (not really 80's but WTH), Queensryche, Megadeth, Rush, Dio, Motorhead...

On the flip side, sometimes I just listen to 80's music in general. In some respects, I wish I hadn't been so young in the 80's. By the time I was old enough to really appreciate the music, the decade (and the good music) was almost over. Oh well, you can still buy a lot of the CDs.

Lately, I've really been enjoying listening to anything by King Crimson, as well as Ian Hunter, Montrose, Todd Rundgren, and a Canadian band from the 80's called Streetheart. I recommend any of the above to add your Civ playing soundtrack. :) (Er, well, maybe not Streetheart. They're a more just "listen-to" band. They don't really go with Civ. I just like them.)

Wow! Forgot all about Queensryche. Great band and sound! I have found ANY Scorpions song goes well with the game as well. Nice choices.

Similar to LM, I'm a 80's metal head. Oh, and STEINMAN, you also forgot about Dream Theatre :)

I usually just listen to hardcore punk or stoner rock: Black Flag, Dead Kennedys, Queens of the Stone Age, Minutemen, Hüsker Dü.
Sometimes, when I feel like it, I might listen to reggae, or third wave ska, or indie rock, or overproduced 80s hair metal, or hard rock like The Who or Queen.

I can see Rush being good Civ music, strong atmosphere with little distraction. I'd give that a try.

...I'll switch the soundtrack source folder in the game options to one where I've copied the game music that I like and added some other era-appropriate music.

Good tip, I didn't know you could do that.

I guess most people have heard the intro of "Bad to the bone", but somehow the song never became a major hit
although it has been used many times in other media.

Spoiler :

Duke Ellington (I know, not 80's) and any early jazz is pretty good background for industrial and modern era. It can make for a nice change of pace for background music.

Top Bottom