Teach me and you. Give me a gem.

Taking a detour to Robotics and putting 2000 hammers into the Space Elevator would slow down your space race most of the time. Better to forget about it.
True in BTS. Not true in vanilla (and I think not true in Warlords either).

This might be well known already but AI is especially reluctant to attack with damaged units so keeping a catapult (or any collateral damage unit for defense is a good idea ;) ) In later game air superiority should be a priority for any warmongering leader for the same reason + bombers paired with artillery can soften up even the strongest fortress or severly slow down an invading army quite efficiently. With tactical nukes any invading fleet might be nearly wiped out in a second (and finished of with attack subs) without the fear of fallout. Also a good reason to build zeppelins (airships) are their great range and scouting capabilities (this checks out especially on a map where You are separated from Your enemy by a big ocean) they can also bomb frigates and galleons without the fear of retaliation.

Taking a detour to Robotics and putting 2000 hammers into the Space Elevator would slow down your space race most of the time. Better to forget about it.

Forgot to mention "when you are building all the parts, and you have a GE spare"

Make sure you have a planned victory condition. If you have loads of friends, beeline Mass Media and build the UN. Saved Great Engineers/forests/gold help with that. If you have 2 good commerce/production cities and one good food city, go for culture unless it's too late for that. A tech lead means you should go for space/domination/conquest. With >60% population you should get cheese diplo with a colony or domination to get the land. It's no good being highest in score but not being able to win!

Forgot to mention "when you are building all the parts, and you have a GE spare"
Even then, you have to detour to Robotics, which will likely slow down your spaceship. In vanilla, the SE was on the spaceship tech path, so the only question was if the hammer investment in the SE would pay off; a GE in vanilla would almost certainly make that a good (or at least neutral) play. In BTS, the hammers saved by the GE are still unlikely to pay for the detour to Robotics.

:bump:

Thought that once an AI started researching something, they would stick with it until completion. However, I just noticed something different. I was teching Code Of Law, and Mansa was doing the same. I was ahead of him and got it first, in addition to founding Confucianism. Instantly he changed to Theology instead. Guess he really wanted to found a religion :shrug:

:bump:

Thought that once an AI started researching something, :

happens all the time if you or someone beats them to the religion or the freebie

Okay, I've never noticed it then, probably because I didn't happen to have enough spy points on whoever did it.

Granted, late game AIs jack up EPs silly time. However, for a good portion of the game, if you manage EP rights, you can pretty see techs of multiple AIs

Granted, late game AIs jack up EPs silly time. However, for a good portion of the game, if you manage EP rights, you can pretty see techs of multiple AIs

This reminds me of what i used to do.. i went to the cheapest ep cost city in the world and settled my spies there. Eventually, i was stealing a technology every 5 or 6 turns at about 75% odds.

Enemy cities show up with name identifier in Top 5 Cities upon meeting them, before you get visibility on the city itself.

Huts popped by city borders are treated as if popped by a recon unit (i.e, no barbs).

(Because apparently some people don't realise this) worker turns into an improvement are 'saved' and can be completed later.

Prioritise wiping out Aggressive AIs first - and of all of the, Monty is THE priority. Zero value in trading with him, he will DOW on Pleased and even when no chance of winning. Ideal scenario is to have him as an early neighbour and rush him.

You should think of tiles as having two less food than they have. This allows a better evaluation of tile improvements - for example, lumbermills double the hammer output of the tile.

Pay attention at the start of every turn. If you see a rival civ has produced a Great Merchant keep an eye on the unit and or foreign advisor screen. When the rival civ completes a trade mission they will have a large stash of gold. That gold is YOUR gold not theirs. Offer to trade a tech to them receiving 1000-1500 gold for the trade. Been making good use of this tip in my last several games.

- Don't underestimate Cavalry Archers. They are one of the best, the most effective and the most fun units in the game.

No-tech trading option completely change gameplay... Game in general is much longer and its harder to keep enemies busy with someone else... and trade missions + World map brokering (buy map until get +1 bonus, than trade it to everyone for many many gold) now has much higher impact on game (because you can't bulb or trade everything - you have to tech most things.. and for that you need money)....

If you see a a civ with your religion getting a GE, gift it Theology, and he'll build the AP in your religion, for you to become resident and for nice hammer-temples.

What causes global warming was discussed somewhere recently, though I don't recall where. Took a brief look in the patch notes now, and this is mentioned for the 3.17 BtS patch.

Global warming in forests and jungles just removes those features, without turning plot to desert
Global warming takes into account the number of forests and jungles in the world
Global Warming is affected by unhealthy buildings in addition to nuclear explosions.

How does that work out? I've done that before, and haven't noticed an extra turn of golden age. It goes from for instance 1 turn left to 13 - unless I misremember right now.

Top Bottom