World wrap

Tboy

Future world ruler
I'm not sure what the difference between a toroidical and cylindrical world wrap is on games on civ4warlords; as in, what effect does it have on gameplay? I understand the flat world wrap, but not the other two.

A cylindrical world just has x-wrapping. You sail off the eastern edge of the screen you appear at the west. It's the closest map type to the real globe. The toroidal world has both x and y-wrapping. As well as being able to sail round it east to west, head off the north edge of the map and you'll appear at the south. This world is effectively doughnut shaped, and so is not a realistic type, but a few people use it.

Ah, thanks! Just checking how it worked. I thought toroidical might have something like being thinner nearer the poles, but looks like I was wrong.

So we have a choice as to which of the above-mentioned map types we can play on?

Chazcon said:
So we have a choice as to which of the above-memtioned map types we can play on?

when setting up a custom game, yes. I'm not sure if you use the "play now" option(as I never do).

Ahh, well yes, I must say I go back and forth.

Sometimes I set up a custom game, but other times I'll hit 'Play Now', then set the terrain to 'Fractal' or 'Shuffle', and the climate / sea level to 'Random', and have at it. Quite a challenge sometimes.

Always 'Huge' map and 'Marathon' speed.

MrCynical said:
A cylindrical world just has x-wrapping. You sail off the eastern edge of the screen you appear at the west. It's the closest map type to the real globe. The toroidal world has both x and y-wrapping. As well as being able to sail round it east to west, head off the north edge of the map and you'll appear at the south. This world is effectively doughnut shaped, and so is not a realistic type, but a few people use it.

How is that less realistic? If there was no ice in the way at the poles, that's exactly what would happen. . .It makes it seem more spherical. Or am I missing something?

It means that when you go to the north pole, you appear at the south pole, so its not realistic.
If you dissapeared at the north and reappeared at the north half way across the world that would be more realistic, but perhaps not good to play on.
Hope that helps

The way maps have been implemented in Civ has always been like if you took a poster map of the world and rolled it up so that the east and west edges met, then played on the outer surface. Toroidal maps (only available on some map scripts) are like joining the north and south edges too, producing a torus (hence the name). Manic is right - a realistic representation of a spherical map would somehow allow you travel across the polar regions around to the other side of the world - in order to remain intuitive that'd require a 3D map (a bit like the one in the recent, and otherwise rubbish, UFO games).

Manic_ said:
It means that when you go to the north pole, you appear at the south pole, so its not realistic.
If you dissapeared at the north and reappeared at the north half way across the world that would be more realistic, but perhaps not good to play on.
Hope that helps

Okay right, I understand now :p

What was I on?

Hi all,

I don't have the wrap option on mine. Would this mean I don't have the latest version or something? Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to take a screen shot of what I have. Whenever I take a screen shot it just takes a picture of the desktop (not Civ, which I have open).

If anyone knows why I don't have this option, please let me know!
Thanks.

Hi all,

I don't have the wrap option on mine. Would this mean I don't have the latest version or something? Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to take a screen shot of what I have. Whenever I take a screen shot it just takes a picture of the desktop (not Civ, which I have open).

If anyone knows why I don't have this option, please let me know!
Thanks.

Wrapping is built into the map. Many maps are only flat, cylindrical, or toroid. Some have options to select among two or three of the choices. Many do not. What map are you trying to wrap or remove wrapping from?

All wrappings are unrealistic, but spherical or any other realistic one would require different-shaped tiles. Someone at Realms Beyond announced a map script with Möbius wrapping, but it was on April 1st. You have to play a Custom Game (which I always do, for No Events, No Cheating and Unrestricted Leaders) for a non-default wrap.

Top Bottom