Your first online experience

I had just played my first online game with two other players and it was a disaster! How does the hell does one player end up getting tanks while i was still developing in the early Middle Ages?! Wtf? It took the dude about an hour to do make them. Is there some strange trick of navigating through the tech tree?

I hope some of you guys had a better experience than I did.

Note:btw I am a fan of Civ3 and to be frank, I am starting to regret purchasing this game for PS3

I haven't had my first online experience yet. I can't find anyone to play with and my connection has been sneaky lately.

NEVER base your opinion of a game on the online component. I learned this back in the day playing Street Fighters, Mortal Kombats, etc. in the arcades. There's all kinds of peepos out there from griefers to noobs to "People that need a life".

If you're getting your butt handed to you online, play some more offline, read some of the wonderful strats here and practice, practice, practice!

I've had the AI pull the same crap that you describe too so it's just a perspective thing.

Online teaches you one thing. No matter how good you think you are, there's a thousand peepos waiting to prove you wrong.

I decided to go online for the first time today, and had a surprisingly good game. I did a teams match and my team mate quit straight away. I chatted to the other team and we got on pretty well. Unfortunately I had to leave around 1750 AD for dinner, and we were in a stalemate. I said I had to leave politely and they understood and said we should have another game. I hope the next time I go online it is as good.

I had just played my first online game with two other players and it was a disaster! How does the hell does one player end up getting tanks while i was still developing in the early Middle Ages?! Wtf? It took the dude about an hour to do make them. Is there some strange trick of navigating through the tech tree?

Note:btw I am a fan of Civ3 and to be frank, I am starting to regret purchasing this game for PS3

Yeah, same thing pretty much happened to me. However, if you can play smart and have tons of luck, you can still win against a technologically superior opponent. I have an example of that in the Stories section.

But yeah, I always get steamrolled by someone with tanks. I got steam rolled by a dude who got knights in the ancient era once too. It wasn't like I was the only one in the Ancient Era either. This was the very begining of the game where I only had one city.

I probably need to learn a lot of strategies before I can win with anything but pure luck.

Yeah, same thing pretty much happened to me. However, if you can play smart and have tons of luck, you can still win against a technologically superior opponent. I have an example of that in the Stories section.

But yeah, I always get steamrolled by someone with tanks. I got steam rolled by a dude who got knights in the ancient era once too. It wasn't like I was the only one in the Ancient Era either. This was the very begining of the game where I only had one city.

I probably need to learn a lot of strategies before I can win with anything but pure luck.

I think what had happened was that the dude was trading tech with another player (he left just before the dude attacked me with his tanks). So, I guess it was tech trading. Maybe.

Some civs are also more eligible to get knights fast, like English. If you are lucky you only need to research alphabet (and writing), get a great scientist and use it to get feaudalism and you get knights really early.

Another way is to get the Knights templar artifact, that will also give you a knight when your in the ancient era.

I remember my first online experience on CivRev, it was on the demo. I was playing with a guy and it took like the whole game for me to meet up with him, then the game ended. :lol:

Dr. Mindbender, if some1 finds the Atlantis artifact, it will give you a future technology. I'm guessing that during ur first online experience, some1 got their hands on Atlantis and got the tech that gives you tanks.

That could of happen as well. I did not see or knew about the Atlantis thing till i had played against the ai yesterday.

Won my first online game after two of my opponents left the game early on and I just walked into the capital of the other (he didn't have it defended at all). He then quit the game giving me a domination victory, not the most satisfying, but a win's a win.

Think i got beat within the first 10 rounds of play... made 2 warriors to explore and someone just walked into my unguarded city, the guy also quite kindly took the time to write a message out of the game using the PS3 message tool advising me how much of a "noob" I am and that I should try another game as this one is clearly too difficult for me...

In hindsight I guess going on multiplayer for the first time without playing the single player first was a mistake but I always tend to lean to multiplayer over single but hey, I am much improved now and won about 4-5 out my last 10 (had the game for 3 weeks now so I dont think I am doing too bad)

Have fun!

First time an opponent didn't disconnect within 10 turns, I got Legion swarmed by a Galleon arriving at my capital. I tend to do OK these days, had a few nasty games with spies smashing buildings, the odd tank rush, but by and large I reckon I've gotten over the steep learning curve good players present when you're used to AI.

There are any number of uncommon things that can give one side a massive lead. Egyptians starting in a desert with a river and Colossus, Spain grabbing Atlantis, simply choosing China - all can give an advantage difficult to overcome.

Top Bottom