Hrej.cz preview (8/6)

Algeroth

8 and 1/2
http://pc.hrej.cz/preview/prvni-dojmy-z-civilization-v-3215/

The google translate doesn't work well on czech, but i'm posting this mainly for the buch of new screenshots.

But there are two points woth mentoning

-They are complaining about the lack of information about other civilizations. They couldn't find out the relations between civs, their military, scientific or societal accomplishments.

-It seems that you don't need transports anymore, after you discover optics, your land units will transform into transports when thy will walk on water hex.

Instead of an OCC, how about a 2CC?

Spoiler :

Plenty of room left to explore. Please tell me these are place holder graphics, or what it would look like on minimum computer specs?

If you look at the newly released screenshots there is alot of graphical bugs that obviously will be fixed before release, I think the graphic will look better in final. And games allways looks better when you run them compared to screen shots.

Future tech is now confirmed, (no surprise), there is some stats for units in the screen shots that I think is new info. (like Kumbi Saleh, 10 str archer unit)

Instead of an OCC, how about a 2CC?

Spoiler :

Plenty of room left to explore. Please tell me these are place holder graphics, or what it would look like on minimum computer specs?

If you look at the Catherine diplomacy screen, you'll realize that it wasn't played on newest PC.

I know some people may think it is "low rent" to not have wonder movies anymore, but I really love the simple artwork they have that displays with wonders and era changes. Plus in Civ4 the wonder movies really slowed down my old PC at the time.

Seems like there is a speed even slower than Marathon in Civ4. Turn 277 in 730BC :eek:

Seems like there is a speed even slower than Marathon in Civ4. Turn 277 in 730BC :eek:

Good catch. I'm happy that they'll have that option. :)

Some information from the article

- the reviewer claims diplomacy is now very limited (no map trading, no contact trading)
- intelligence gathering is said to be very limited
- there is information about others' tech progress at all
- there are no charts comparing your and foreign civs like in Civ IV
- civilizations at very different tech levels can still make the research pack, which is then beneficial for both civs
- there is no option to focus your economy at certain aspect (gold / tech / culture) at civilization level, you have to do that on city level
- combat is now much better than it used to be
- combat result predictions are compared to weather forecast (very inaccurate)
- Mount Everest and Lake Titicaca are confirmed as natural wonders
- the reviewer was annoyed at victory music playing even when your unit is destroyed

Generally, the preview is surprisingly negative. The game is said to be extremely simplified when compared to Civ IV.

Btw, this screenshot is also new to me:

The water & cloud effects certainly look like the dx9/low performance rendering - at least when comparing them to the GDC presentation. Other screenshots released over the past two days look much nicer.

Some information from the article

- the reviewer claims diplomacy is now very limited (no map trading, no contact trading)
- intelligence gathering is said to be very limited
- there is information about others' tech progress at all
- there are no charts comparing your and foreign civs like in Civ IV
- civilizations at very different tech levels can still make the research pack, which is then beneficial for both civs
- there is no option to focus your economy at certain aspect (gold / tech / culture) at civilization level, you have to do that on city level
- combat is now much better than it used to be
- combat result predictions are compared with weather forecast (very inaccurate)
- Mount Everest and Lake Titicaca are confirmed as natural wonders
- the reviewer was annoyed at victory music playing even when your unit is destroyed

Generally, the preview is surprisingly negative. The game is said to be extremely simplified when compared to Civ IV.

I'm pretty suspicious of previews that complain about missing features that weren't even in Civ4 (contact trading).

Just for clarification, direct translation of the part regarding contact trading:

Němci mají s Napoleonovými šiky zřejmě velké starosti. Během třiceti kol nás s tím otravovali snad desetkrát a jejich písnička je pořád stejná – chtějí s námi spolupracovat. Dobrá. Jenže handlování s mapami už neexistuje a dopis s kontaktem na neznámou civilizaci byste také hledali marně. Nezbývá, než Francouze najít. Zanedlouho jim klepeme na dveře. Bude se bojovat? Je třeba nejdřív něco zjistit. Jsou Francouzi vyspělejší, než my? Jsou silnější? Jak technologicky pokročili? Přátelé, vždyť my o nich nevíme skoro nic a přitom to není to naše vina.

The Germans seem to have a lot of trouble with Napoleon's armies. The bothered us like ten times in thirty turns and their song is still the same: they want to cooperate with us. Well. However map trading is nonexistent and search for contact letter to an unknown civilization also comes in vain. So we had to go find the French. After short while we are knocking on their door. Will there be a war? We have to gather some intelligence first. Are the French more advanced than us? Are they stronger? How advanced are they? Well friends, we don't know virtually anything about them and its not our fault.

Just for clarification, direct translation of the part regarding contact trading:

The military advisor seems to be able to give quite a bit of information about other civs in the screenshots I have seen. Not knowing where the other civs are with a fairly cheap 3-move Scout unit available from the start of the game seems to me to be the player's fault, not the game's.

I really see little point in posting info from translated sources when the info seems to be kinda jumbled.

Well friends, we don't know virtually anything about them and its not our fault

I'm not quite understanding...these people expect fully detailed profiles of the other civs at first contact?

The military advisor seems to be able to give quite a bit of information about other civs in the screenshots I have seen. Not knowing where the other civs are with a fairly cheap 3-move Scout unit available from the start of the game seems to me to be the player's fault, not the game's.

That's sort of what I was thinking.

Top Bottom