Hitler

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShooterSix

Chieftain
I’ve bee thinking of making this thread of a few days now, but have been somewhat scared due to the tragedies that he has committed. Then I thought for a second… and thought to myself “What the hell!?.”

Hitler was an evil, sinister man no doubt… one of the worlds greatest conquers and one of the most influential people in the world!

Why was he left out? He is the reason USA is a superpower, he is the reason Russia was a superpower. He conquered most of Russia and Europe in 5-6 years.

The Holocaust! I know, horrendous, disgusting, outrageous and evil. What did the Romans do? Enslaved and murdered millions? Correct?

Is Hitler not a faction leader because of the holocaust?

Basically, I’m sick of political correctness, and want a game with real people that REAL influence on the world… like Hitler, and Stalin, but I won’t go there.

I've lost count on how many threads about Hitler we've had. Most of them go nowhere, just like this one probably will.
Even if you use the horrible forum seach, by searching for "Hitler" you will get 3 or 4 threads like this one on the first page.

Yes, yes, he'll be in a mod. Calm down mister, we'll have your hitler ready in a moment. There was a hitler provided for civ3, he could command black-clad ss guys and build a concetration camp. He even smiled. Just shhh, don't make such noise, some people who were on his kill-list are still alive, which cannot be said for those murdered by Romans. Just give him a second and he'll be all available.

I agree with you about being sick of political correctness. However, they still have to market the game. It's ok to offend some people (supporters of either Al Gore or Dan Quayle - see the soap box thread.) but it isn't ok to offend others. I'm sure you've seen in the news about Muslims all enraged about some comic strips?

I would guess not including Hitler is more of a marketing decision than a gaming decision. They do quote him in the game, as I'm sure you've noticed.

In the expansions thread, there is a lot of discussion about suggested leaders and civilizations people would like to see added to the game.

- Sligo

ShooterSix said:
I’ve bee thinking of making this thread of a few days now, but have been somewhat scared due to the tragedies that he has committed. Then I thought for a second… and thought to myself “What the hell!?.”

Hitler was an evil, sinister man no doubt… one of the worlds greatest conquers and one of the most influential people in the world!

Why was he left out? He is the reason USA is a superpower, he is the reason Russia was a superpower. He conquered most of Russia and Europe in 5-6 years.

The Holocaust! I know, horrendous, disgusting, outrageous and evil. What did the Romans do? Enslaved and murdered millions? Correct?

Is Hitler not a faction leader because of the holocaust?

Basically, I’m sick of political correctness, and want a game with real people that REAL influence on the world… like Hitler, and Stalin, but I won’t go there.

I agree. Look at Mao Zedong and Genghis Khan, they are responsible for the wholesale murder of millions but are featured in the game. Adolf Hitler was able to motivate an entire nation(ality) to wage a war of expansion and murder millions of innocent people because they were "inferior" not to mention the blitzkrieg which revolutionized modern warfare forever.

Iosef Stalin industrialized the largest (land) nation on earth and tuned back the German advance during world war two with some help from "General Winter".

Yes, these people are responsible for inconceivable acts of violence but their places in history and leadership shouldn't be denied, for better or for worse they are huge parts of the history of mankind and the inclusion of Chairman Mao and Temüjin really throw political correctness out the window.

Eternalsteelfan said:
I agree. Look at Mao Zedong and Genghis Khan, they are responsible for the wholesale murder of millions but are featured in the game. Adolf Hitler was able to motivate an entire nation(ality) to wage a war of expansion and murder millions of innocent people because they were "inferior" not to mention the blitzkrieg which revolutionized modern warfare forever.

Iosef Stalin industrialized the largest (land) nation on earth and tuned back the German advance during world war two with some help from "General Winter".

Yes, these people are responsible for inconceivable acts of violence but their places in history and leadership shouldn't be denied, for better or for worse they are huge parts of the history of mankind and the inclusion of Chairman Mao and Temüjin really throw political correctness out the window.

Thanks Eternal, I'm glad someone sees it clearly and agrees with me!

oagersnap said:
I've lost count on how many threads about Hitler we've had. Most of them go nowhere, just like this one probably will.
Even if you use the horrible forum seach, by searching for "Hitler" you will get 3 or 4 threads like this one on the first page.

Here are some of the latest ones:
[thread]156198[/thread]
[thread]153569[/thread]
[thread]148696[/thread]
[thread]132957[/thread]

The Condor said:
Here are some of the latest ones:
[thread]156198[/thread]
[thread]153569[/thread]
[thread]148696[/thread]
[thread]132957[/thread]

Thanks for contributing.

I honestly don't think it's about political correctness. I think it's about effectiveness. Yes, Hitler was an influential and, for a very brief time, effective leader. But compare him to most of the other leaders in the game. Hitler's reign was short, and at the end of it his country was in far worse circumstances than at the beginning of it. Hardly the mark of a great leader. Perhaps that's the reason why he's not in the game....

chewbaccad said:
I honestly don't think it's about political correctness. I think it's about effectiveness. Yes, Hitler was an influential and, for a very brief time, effective leader. But compare him to most of the other leaders in the game. Hitler's reign was short, and at the end of it his country was in far worse circumstances than at the beginning of it. Hardly the mark of a great leader. Perhaps that's the reason why he's not in the game....

Mansa Musa ruled the Mali empire for a few decades; Montezuma's reign and the circumstances surrounding his fall hardly improved his empire; and Kubai Khan was a complete failure when compared to Genghis.

It is illegal to put any imagine of Hitler on or in a product that is marketed in Germany (and possibly other EU countries). That alone is reason enough from a commercial standpoint.

From a historical standpoint, Hitler was pathetic. His "empire" was fleeting and he commited suicide as it crashed around him. Hardly the mark of a great leader.

german here: i'm glad hitler didn't made it into the game. he's a bastard that isn't worth to receive any tributes.

Armorydave said:
From a historical standpoint, Hitler was pathetic. His "empire" was fleeting and he commited suicide as it crashed around him. Hardly the mark of a great leader.

I disagree. As much as I hate Hitler and nazism, I´m impressed by the awesome military power of Nazi-Germany. The country fighted almost alone against the entire world, created an empire from France/Norway to the Black Sea, and it was just through an emormous combined effort from USA/Soviet and massive loss of lives that they were finally defeated.

That said, I don´t think I want to see him in this game. How many German Civ 4-players would like to have that maniac as leader of their country?

Moderator Action: As several users have posted before, there've been more than enough threads on this topic. They've all turned pointless or turned into a flame war. Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom