The Ancient Mediterranean Info

TAM 0.90 works with BTS 3.19 now :)

Download it here
Thanks to Shkype :goodjob:
It's SHQYPE! There is NO "K" sound in my name.

I've been a fan of TAM since Civ 3. What's more, I never post online. I have a complicated love/hate relationship with the internet, but online communication is what I abhor most of all. That said, I've been dropping in to visit civfanatics.com now for years, and though I've said my thanks for TAM in the past to the team members then involved, I just saw your post and... well I just had a twinge of fear that if I didn't give TAM the praise it deserves again, that the project might actually be abandoned! So I registered and am responding here to tell you to keep up the fantastic work. Civilization IV is a great game, but ever since TAM it's been worlds better to me. Thanks for your work.

Oh, and your ethnic units in another thread are looking good too. Can't wait for more.
Wow, that's a delight to hear! Thank you very much for the praise. It's always encouraging and motivating when members of the community appreciate the hard work that you've put into something. The TAM team has done a lot to continue this mod, and I'm sure we'd all enjoy reading your words.

Thanks again for signing up and welcome to CivFanatics! I hope you continue to visit and post in our sub-section with thoughts, comments, and suggestions on how to make TAM better. :)
Sorry for being blunt, but does multiplayer work too? Since we had serious crash issues with the version for 3.17... you know its hard to convince people to install a ton of mods :)

Yes, there's no reason why it shouldn't! Let me know if you have any problems.

Long live TAM :goodjob: What a great delight to see the best Mod on civ4 to be updated for BtS.

Kudos to the maintainers :clap:

Hm, I seem to have some problems here... installed BTS from steam and now my file associations are broken. Is there any other way to start it? I can "load the mod" but then what do I do to launch a map?

Hm, I seem to have some problems here... installed BTS from steam and now my file associations are broken. Is there any other way to start it? I can "load the mod" but then what do I do to launch a map?

Select "Play a scenario", then you should see several TAM maps. If not, it means you did a bad TAM 0.90 installation

There is definitely something wrong.

But what, that I don't know. Mod seems to be loading properly, what else could be wrong? I've put the maps in both steam and my documents public maps folder. There must be something trivially crazy. Or a bug (pray not:S).

What happens if you go into "Beyond the Sword\PublicMaps" folder and double click on your preferred TAM map file?

Read up, I have broken file associations...

But I also tried "opening the file with specific application" though that only launches civ4 for me. Probably some parameters should be passed or such. Maybe you could export your registry key dealing with whatever filetype this map is? Maybe it would help if I knew how should it be called.

I haven't Civ4 installed on the PC where I'm answering now.
Furthermore your "bad association" seems a Civ installation fault.
I can't say you more, sorry :confused:

There seems to be no way whatsoever of launching the TAM scenarios from within the game.

You have to import the correct registry settings for the file association... Civ has to be ran like so: civ4 /FXSLOAD=foo

Meaning in registry you need to find the correct registry key, for example:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/CivBeyondSwordWBSave_auto_file/shell/open/command (that got added automatically when I chose to open file using civ.exe)

And modify the key from "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword\Beyond the Sword\Civ4BeyondSword.exe" "%1"

to

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword\Beyond the Sword\Civ4BeyondSword.exe" /fxsload="%1"

I'm not skilled enough on registry keys.
I've checked my key and it is

"C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Civ4BeyondSword.exe" /fxsload="%1"

I've a Vanilla-BTS (no WRLD) DVD installation on XP and another on Vista. Maybe some wrong steam parameters during the installing procedure ? :confused:

A general question on diplomacy:

Do any countries sign open border agreements? I've played as Rome and as Carthage now, and no one ever signs them, which makes merchant vessels useless so you can never enter foreign cities.

Am I missing something?

Edit: In my Carthage game now, people have actually started to trade techs with me and signed some open border agreements, but in a long Roman game they never did.

Are the Romans hard-coded to be everyone's enemy?

Absolutely not, although there are some LHs more annoyed than others.
Usually, when you are at a war against a shared enemy within other civs, those civs sign a open border agreement with you.
Generally civs with pleased or friendly relationship with you sign open border agreements.

Now I haven't been on this site or played Civ in a long, long time, but I am curious. Why were the ancient Israelites not included as a civ in this mod?

Now I haven't been on this site or played Civ in a long, long time, but I am curious. Why were the ancient Israelites not included as a civ in this mod?

Well, maybe for one thing, the historical territory occupied by Israel is not that large in comparison to the other nations included there (Rome, Celts, Carthage, Hittites, etc.)

Sometimes there area also debates about what is historically known, and what are just Biblical assertions, so sometimes it avoids a bit of trouble if they're left out.

Just guessing,though...

Well, maybe for one thing, the historical territory occupied by Israel is not that large in comparison to the other nations included there (Rome, Celts, Carthage, Hittites, etc.)

Sometimes there area also debates about what is historically known, and what are just Biblical assertions, so sometimes it avoids a bit of trouble if they're left out.

Just guessing,though...
Hmm, maybe one of the mod-makers will enlighten me. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Maybe you could add the Israelites as another civ for a modmod. It's not that difficult to add another civ to the mod. The most difficult part would be opening up the scenarios and adding them to the map.

You will find a broad variance if you play enough games in TAM. One game will be generally peaceful, and the next could a warmongers feast. Especially playing the Huge Med map with 24 civs, all the variables introduced by the number of civs makes each game a new adventure.

There are some patterns that we are picking up on as we test thru our way to Version 1.0 that we will be working on so as we come across them.

Rome is not Hard Coded per say, but it can be aggresive at times. Once more of the mechanics are fixed we will be trying to tweak things a bit so that the Historical Great Civs will tend to reflect their historical greatness in the games.

A general question on diplomacy:

Do any countries sign open border agreements? I've played as Rome and as Carthage now, and no one ever signs them, which makes merchant vessels useless so you can never enter foreign cities.

Am I missing something?

Edit: In my Carthage game now, people have actually started to trade techs with me and signed some open border agreements, but in a long Roman game they never did.

Top Bottom