What is a stack attack?

gamer9865 said:
What is this option?

if you have several troops selected on a tile and order them to attack another stack it will resolve all the combats at once instead of making you move each guy.

i suspect that it resolves the combats either randomly or inefficiently so i never use it unless im completely overwhelming the enemy and i'm doing late-game mop up.

I would imagine it does with the highest chance of victory first, followed by the next highest, etc.

This is what happens when you select a stack and attack without this option.

Thought it might do something like that.
I, by the way, do not necessarily use the best unit.
If I have both units with a very high rate of success, and one of them is about to be promoted, will usually use that unit. Unless the city is terribly important and I cannot sustain much damage for long.

Stack attacks are like automating workers. Micro-managing your attacks help build unit experience points. I learned that the hard way. I usually have 3 stacks: one cats only, one cheap units, and the other my experienced units. Bombard with cats until the culture is at 0. Then on the next turn throw the cats to weaken with collateral damage and/or throw cheap stuff to weaken the enemy further ... then throw in your stack of level 4's to finish the job. That could be the difference between Heroic Epic (need a level 4) and West Point (need a level 5). And West Point ROCKS if you love to fight. :D :D :D :D

manwiththehands said:
Stack attacks are like automating workers. Micro-managing your attacks help build unit experience points. I learned that the hard way. I usually have 3 stacks: one cats only, one cheap units, and the other my experienced units. Bombard with cats until the culture is at 0. Then on the next turn throw the cats to weaken with collateral damage and/or throw cheap stuff to weaken the enemy further ... then throw in your stack of level 4's to finish the job. That could be the difference between Heroic Epic (need a level 4) and West Point (need a level 5). And West Point ROCKS if you love to fight. :D :D :D :D
Correction, not a culture. It is city defend percentage that you bombard to 0.

Regards,
Arto.

Artosoft said:
Correction, not a culture. It is city defend percentage that you bombard to 0.

As a matter of fact, most of the defense % you bombard comes from culture, no walls or castles ;)

Jep.
Most of the times it isn´t even necessary to build city walls,
as in the time your new city has completed them
(after other important buildings) culture has already grown enough
to give you 50% cultural defense :D

Proteus said:
Jep.
Most of the times it isn´t even necessary to build city walls,
as in the time your new city has completed them
(after other important buildings) culture has already grown enough
to give you 50% cultural defense :D

I got the feeling that the walls and castles (except against gunpowder units) don't ever display their defense in percentages because they cannot be bombed down. I also think that if you bombed one down to zero, although the city wouldn't show it, you would see some sort of defense modifier attributed to these obstacles counted as city defense when looking at a unit. Just a hunch though. I don't think they were dumb enough to make culture so easily surpass walled obstacles.

if you look at the percentages, walls and castles *will* increase the percentage defense. And they can get reduced by catapaults and the like.

Charles 22 said:
I got the feeling that the walls and castles (except against gunpowder units) don't ever display their defense in percentages because they cannot be bombed down. I also think that if you bombed one down to zero, although the city wouldn't show it, you would see some sort of defense modifier attributed to these obstacles counted as city defense when looking at a unit. Just a hunch though. I don't think they were dumb enough to make culture so easily surpass walled obstacles.

Dumb or not culture very easily surpasses fortifications. Plus fortifications don't count against gunpowder units.

Top Bottom