Easter Egg Collecting! (spoilers be here)

Well, I guess they don't teach us everything. It's not like there's a difference between polytheism and monotheism (atleast not IMO).

Deathling said:
Well, I guess they don't teach us everything. It's not like there's a difference between polytheism and monotheism (atleast not IMO).

Except that monotheistic religions have one god and polytheistic religions have several ?

Might not be a difference if the monotheistic god is schizophrene.... :D

except that with many gods, they tend to have disagreements and intrigues. Just look at Loke`s behavior in the Nordic mythology. Almost like a soap opera...

This, of course causes cooperation problems for the followers of polytheistic religions; which god is right, and which god shall we follow in this specific situation...

My last post actually got me thinking about the world today. After all, it is a fact that Islam, Christianity and Judaism has the same god... Only different "prophets". Even with the same god, those people are not able to cooperate:crazyeye:

lorgen said:
except that with many gods, they tend to have disagreements and intrigues. Just look at Loke`s behavior in the Nordic mythology. Almost like a soap opera...

This, of course causes cooperation problems for the followers of polytheistic religions; which god is right, and which god shall we follow in this specific situation...

I guess advocating that there was only one god made it easier to rule the populace of your population, and unite them.

Grey Fox said:
I guess advocating that there was only one god made it easier to rule the populace of your population, and unite them.

The relative successes of monotheistic cultures over polytheistic cultures might attest to that...

Grey Fox said:
The problem of uniting never seemed to faze the Romans, As long as you paid you're taxes, and later, worshiped the emperor, you were pretty much allowed to do whatever you want: Worship you're own gods, etc. The reason the Romans did the diaspora was that they had gotten sick and tired of the Jews rebelling. when they burned temple (I want to say the temple of Solomon, but i'm not completely sure) the Jews had already rebelled many times, and refused to Worship any gods except thier own...
Sincerely,
thomas.berubeg

thomas.berubeg said:
The problem of uniting never seemed to faze the Romans, As long as you paid you're taxes, and later, worshiped the emperor, you were pretty much allowed to do whatever you want: Worship you're own gods, etc. The reason the Romans did the diaspora was that they had gotten sick and tired of the Jews rebelling. when they burned temple (I want to say the temple of Solomon, but i'm not completely sure) the Jews had already rebelled many times, and refused to Worship any gods except thier own...
Sincerely,
thomas.berubeg

no, the temple of Solomon was destroyed by the Babylonians, but everything else I agree with.

I am not 100% certain, as this is from memory from what my ex the UU minister in training told me.
I believe that the Romans insisted that you make a sacrifice to Jupiter (Zeus), it was that requirement that caused the issue with the Jews (on a related topic, I spent the evening watching Jesus Christ Superstar, weird.). So it was more like "as long as you worship our god, you can worship yours too".
The mongols may be a better example of "pay us our due and do whatever you want" than the Romans.

*edit*
lostkitten13 said:
no, the temple of Solomon was destroyed by the Babylonians, but everything else I agree with.
Solomon's temple was the first temple, it was destroyed by the Babylonians in 586 BCE. The Second temple was completed in 515 BCE and destroyed by the Romans after 4 years of Jewish revolt in 70 CE. The third temple has yet to be built, and since the particular type of cattle that is needed to consecrate it has gone extinct it is unlikely to be rebuilt in the near future.

Wow, I guess I ruined this thread...

But I'll blame Qes anyway.

One of the FoL theme songs is from the vampire area of one of the last might and magic games (IX or X)

Mordi said:
One of the FoL theme songs is from the vampire area of one of the last might and magic games (IX or X)

I dont think it is. A lot of the music sounds very similiar to Might & Magic or HOMM music but I havent been able to find any that are the same.

BTW, how can you have an Easter Egg list without including the fact that the Pack of the Nilhorn giants are named after Stooges.

Kael said:
I dont think it is. A lot of the music sounds very similiar to Might & Magic or HOMM music but I havent been able to find any that are the same.

BTW, how can you have an Easter Egg list without including the fact that the Pack of the Nilhorn giants are named after Stooges.

DOH! How could I forget?! When I saw those names I freaked. Very nice touch Kael.

Kael said:

It`s quite easy to explain. AFAIK the stooges have never been shown on tv in europe (maybe in GB, but thats the commonwealth.... And they even play cricket (the original version of the worlds most boring game, which the americans have tried to improve with understandable rules called "baseball") So the responsibility for leaving out the stooges lies with our american/canadian/mexican/cuban +++ friends, I hope I`m not discriminating anyone by this statement. AFAIK I think I have added all countries that calls this stick-hitting-a-ball-and-no-one-makes-an-effort-to-run-to-the-base a sport. Else, I`m sure Qes will tell me) Football is the game you have to check out (no, not american football. It ought to be named handball.... The only player touching the ball with his feet is the kicker. And if you name the best game in the world soccer instead of football you have to be infected with lycanthrophy:D )

Deathling said:
Wow, I guess I ruined this thread...

But I'll blame Qes anyway.

Maybe I have contributed to this thread-ruining, but I won`t blame Qes. My excuse is that Qes sheepsors with the fear promotion have influenced and terrrified me into partly ruining this thread.

Sorry. But weresheeps with lycanthrophy, fear promo and no fence to protect the community from these sheepsors is ruining yet another thread.:mischief:

Has anyone mentioned the picture for the inquisitor's special ability?
*edit*
Perhaps I should mention it being from the famous Monty Python sketch "No One expects the Spanish Inquisition"

~p

Top Bottom