Caveman 2 Cosmos

Hi , guys

I just recently installed the C2C mod and started playing it....and since i was anyway a fan of RoM ND now i find this one even better. So, i got a bit hooked up :D

but , unfortunately, my game reached a point at which i cannot progress because my turn won't change...or at least just freezes.

Situation is the following: Turn no 632/2170 1836 BC Romans

CPU 3 ghz, Ram 4 gb, video 1 gb...Win Xp SP3 32bit

I looked thorough different issues here on the forum and seems other people do experience these types of problems but i couldn't find and almighty solution

Please, help me because i don't want to restart my campaign :(:(

here's the file too, saved just before the issue

Ok well first off, thx for trying the mod, and Welcome to CFC, now you dont need to post in both places, the mod thread then also the idea thread, thx. One will suffice.

Did you start with Advanced Start by any chance, if you that is a known slowdown bug.

Maybe a 64 bit OS plays a much bigger role in this?
I can match all the requirements outlined by strategyonly except I'm running on XP 32 (and have tried it with Vista 32, which runs even worse).

I'm in ~1950 AD and the game is unplayable.

Maybe some folks that can finish games without too much trouble (a MAF every dozen turns or something should be considered bearable) can post their system specs?

Even when removing all will do/might work's (except the 64 bit OS) strategyonly's system requirements don't cut it.
Well, it's playable, but only until maybe early Industrial age, then crashes get too frequent.
_____
rezaf

Maybe a 64 bit OS plays a much bigger role in this?
I can match all the requirements outlined by strategyonly except I'm running on XP 32 (and have tried it with Vista 32, which runs even worse).

I'm in ~1950 AD and the game is unplayable.

Maybe some folks that can finish games without too much trouble (a MAF every dozen turns or something should be considered bearable) can post their system specs?

Even when removing all will do/might work's (except the 64 bit OS) strategyonly's system requirements don't cut it.
Well, it's playable, but only until maybe early Industrial age, then crashes get too frequent.
_____
rezaf

Please post what speed & mapsize you play on, 1950 AD on a Small map at Normal speed is going to be entirely different than 1950 AD on a Giant Map at Snail speed. I haven't gotten a MAF in RoM, AND, or C2C for years, but I've been running a 64bit (first Vista, now Win7) computer with 4 GB of ram for years too.

Have you read this thread: 3GB Switch for WinXp x32bit for Civ4 ROM (how to do it tutorial) ? I can't vouch for how well it works since I've never needed it, but if you have 3 or 4 GB of ram it might help.

@ Strategyonly... I don't think the bug has much to do with advanced starts. Nor is it a matter of the strength of the computer. Still working to nail it down but so far it seems to have more to do with the AI thinking it has more workers than it does? I'm not sure how this is happening but it appears that has something to do with it as that's the general error we're getting before it stops processing. (It starts closing down some of the subprocessing which makes it 'freeze' where it is.) It could also be an issue with some of the early espionage units and their missions... an error may be lurking there.

Please post what speed & mapsize you play on, 1950 AD on a Small map at Normal speed is going to be entirely different than 1950 AD on a Giant Map at Snail speed.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, and yeah, you're right of course.
I play at Normal speed on Standard mapsize with 7 AIs (since new civilizations do spawn in C2C, it's about 12 AIs, at least half of which are one or two city "minors" or even only rebels that have no cities at all).

I did enable the additional memory for XP back when I set it up in the first place, but thanks for pointing out the issue again, since it also mentiones you need to do something with Vista as well - like I posted earlier in the thread, I couldn't get C2C running on my Vista comp at all, and I thought it automatically dealt with 4GB out of the box, so maybe that'll do the trick there. Who knows, maybe C2C will be playable on that rig - though it only has a 512MB GPU, iirc.

That said, it doesn't help one bit on the other computer, which meets all specs except a 64 bit OS. Ah well, the next upgrade will come, and if I want to go beyond 4GB, I'll be forced to go 64 bit anyway, so I can always try C2C again then.
_____
rezaf

Ok well first off, thx for trying the mod, and Welcome to CFC, now you dont need to post in both places, the mod thread then also the idea thread, thx. One will suffice.

Did you start with Advanced Start by any chance, if you that is a known slowdown bug.

No, i didn't set up any advanced start...straight from prehistoric....i don't think it's a PC issue too, i tried the same savegame with a friend on a computer twice as powerful as mine and also having a 64bit os.....I started again a new game but the fear of that happening again bothers me... cause it's a rather unpleasant surprise to get it after 2 days have gone playing :) but i am a fanatic :d

I play on a large map with 10 civs hoping to reduce possible mafs at later stages? Do u think it has some influence on it?

Thanks for taking the time to reply, and yeah, you're right of course.
I play at Normal speed on Standard mapsize with 7 AIs (since new civilizations do spawn in C2C, it's about 12 AIs, at least half of which are one or two city "minors" or even only rebels that have no cities at all).

I did enable the additional memory for XP back when I set it up in the first place, but thanks for pointing out the issue again, since it also mentiones you need to do something with Vista as well - like I posted earlier in the thread, I couldn't get C2C running on my Vista comp at all, and I thought it automatically dealt with 4GB out of the box, so maybe that'll do the trick there. Who knows, maybe C2C will be playable on that rig - though it only has a 512MB GPU, iirc.

That said, it doesn't help one bit on the other computer, which meets all specs except a 64 bit OS. Ah well, the next upgrade will come, and if I want to go beyond 4GB, I'll be forced to go 64 bit anyway, so I can always try C2C again then.
_____
rezaf

Your rig seems to be about the same as mine and I can play a game past industrial on an earlier version of C2C perhaps as I play huge snail games and it takes about 3-4 (8hr) days to get that far. I do get MAF/CTDs then but not that often perhaps every 10-20 turns. the main thing I learnt was to delete the cache on a MAF before loading the game would extend the time before the next MAF. I also had to but graphics down to lowest setting.

We found out that if you use Advanced Start, it does that alot.

The main reason, almost ALL the new buildings are Art/Empty is because of memory space, this is a HUGE mod, and if we put in all the buildings it takes 10 times more memory to use, and then you couldn't even get to Renaissance Era without a MAF. Thus we have adopted for the Art/Empty.nif

If Advance start is causing problems then load game should also.:confused:

If you are using empty graphics you should also reduce the display priority so those with graphics display longer and your city does not look empty. Unless this is what you are after.

The main reason, almost ALL the new buildings are Art/Empty is because of memory space, this is a HUGE mod, and if we put in all the buildings it takes 10 times more memory to use, and then you couldn't even get to Renaissance Era without a MAF. Thus we have adopted for the Art/Empty.nif

And theoretically, the buildings without art sometimes have higher priority than the ones that actually do, resulting in the blank appearance, right?

OMG! What an awesome mod! I've never seen so many techs, units, buildings etc. in any other mod I've played, and I've been playing Civ4 since it came out. Just finished a game as Romans at noble level. It took me 102+ hours to achieve a domination victory. I'll post again with some problems I ran into but I just had to say how very impressed I was with all the work you put into this.

jimmygeo

OMG! What an awesome mod! I've never seen so many techs, units, buildings etc. in any other mod I've played, and I've been playing Civ4 since it came out. Just finished a game as Romans at noble level. It took me 102+ hours to achieve a domination victory. I'll post again with some problems I ran into but I just had to say how very impressed I was with all the work you put into this.

jimmygeo

Glad to see you like it. There are many more buildings, techs (and maybe even some units) to come. This is just the tip of the iceberg. RoM and AND are great mods to build upon and with great modders like Dancing Hoskuld and strategyonly to work with it makes this mod even better. We all love the feedback so please let us know. It makes all our hard work worth while. So thanks for the nice feedback.

Also it saves me time when making the buildings. Honestly when I look at the buildings I look at the button graphics and not the 3D mesh.

I get the unhappy feeling that as this mod develops more and more I'll be less capable of running it (even though those changes will just make me want to play it more!!!). It was mentioned eariler that it's not unusual for MAFs or CTDs to occur every 10-20 turns, that would make the game unplayable for me :-(

Might have to go back to older mods that are no longer being developed.....oh well at least I've discovered the 3GB switch which will make those mods a little more stable.

I get the unhappy feeling that as this mod develops more and more I'll be less capable of running it (even though those changes will just make me want to play it more!!!). It was mentioned eariler that it's not unusual for MAFs or CTDs to occur every 10-20 turns, that would make the game unplayable for me :-(

Might have to go back to older mods that are no longer being developed.....oh well at least I've discovered the 3GB switch which will make those mods a little more stable.

Theoretically, the opposite should be true. We're working on a lot of debugging issues and cleaning things up so while we are also making a lot of additional feature progress, there is also work on making things run smoother. As time goes on, you will see a more solid platform. Honestly, while a lot of new buildings, techs, units, etc... may cause the game to process a bit slower, it should not be causing crashes... that's the result of flawed programming, which is something that is being addressed at this time.

Something I think is worth addressing is the in-game Civilopedia, which is very obsolete (I'm talking about AND 1.75, but since you're building upon it, I humbly believe it applies to your mod also). I've seen entries for stack combat (which were removed since RevDCM because it was buggy, so I've heard), many ghost entries which appear in the index but has no corresponding article, and things like that. For a highly complex mod, proper documentation saves time and helps a lot!

I also think the UI can be polished a little bit, but I haven't played much to give detailed feedback on this.

Something I think is worth addressing is the in-game Civilopedia, which is very obsolete (I'm talking about AND 1.75, but since you're building upon it, I humbly believe it applies to your mod also). I've seen entries for stack combat (which were removed since RevDCM because it was buggy, so I've heard), many ghost entries which appear in the index but has no corresponding article, and things like that. For a highly complex mod, proper documentation saves time and helps a lot!

I also think the UI can be polished a little bit, but I haven't played much to give detailed feedback on this.

Can you give an example, alot of things going on right now, so an example would be nice, thx.

See that just like saying something is wrong, but when doing so, pls put in also what you think it should be, makes it so much nicer to understand, thx.

Thx for writing and trying this mod.:)

Can you give an example, alot of things going on right now, so an example would be nice, thx.

See that just like saying something is wrong, but when doing so, pls put in also what you think it should be, makes it so much nicer to understand, thx.

Thx for writing and trying this mod.:)

Ok, sorry for not clarifying things better, I've just started playing. I'll play it longer and as soon as I have something more consistent to post, I'll do it.

The UI is written in python, is complex (naturally) and looks more like '70s spaghetti code at first glance. I am sure it could be done better but who has the time;) Not that comments are not still welcome.

When I've clicked on the link to the needed DLL, which links to a post from Thunderbrd, I can't find the link to the DLL itself. Is it included with the mod installation package? Otherwise, where can I find the DLL?

P.S. I've just seen I needed the DLL now.

When I've clicked on the link to the needed DLL, which links to a post from Thunderbrd, I can't find the link to the DLL itself. Is it included with the mod installation package? Otherwise, where can I find the DLL?

P.S. I've just seen I needed the DLL now.

Sorry i forgot to delete that line, the one in the DL is still good, thx.

What's this about a 3 GB switch? Sounds like it could be a boon to the modding community.

Top Bottom