Civ Rev, Colonization or Civ 3 Complete?

allunderheaven

Settler
I want to get a Civilization game for Christmas...again ;) but, I don't know which one to get.

I have Civ 3 vanilla but I didn't like it much, I found the game rather tedious, I like my games a little faster and shall I say, a little less epic but I have heard that the expansion packs make it far more enjoyable. I don't need huge maps, and I'm okay with micromanagement. Can anyone tell me if the multiplayer for the CivRev DS works? What would you guys recommend?

Thanks!

Out of those three games, I've only played one, so I can't really give a balanced opinion. However, I think I'll be a heathen to this forum, and highly recommend that you try out Civ4. :lol: :p

Civ3 Complete is still very good, though. The games are still of about the same length as normal Civ3, but there are more things to do, see, and build. If the game length is really a trouble for you, then perhaps you'd be better off with something like CivRev - I've heard from several friends that it's quite a decent game, and much shorter than both Civ3 and Civ4. :)

I've seen Colonization and from what I've been told it's pretty much a clone of the original game, if you happen to have played that. Civ4 is probably the deepest and most replayable of all the current games. CivRev definitely offers shorter games but at the expense of smaller maps and limited options and depth.

I liked civ4 a lot more than civ3 by the way, but others are different and preferred civ3.

I think in any case Civ4 would be a better option than Colonization. If you must get one of the three you mentioned though I'd probably reccommend CivRev. It plays more like classic civ than colonization does.

Civ Rev, easy answer. Colonization and Civ 3 are both too broken. Enjoyable, but given an alternative they're clearly 2nd rate. (Col may be improved when/if the patches mod it to a better state.)

I forgot to tell everyone, but I already have Civ 4 and BTS, in fact, I think its the best Civ game in the series and one of the best games I ever played. But even if it was so fun, I'm not gonna buy it again, that would be crazy! :crazyeye:

I forgot to tell everyone, but I already have Civ 4 and BTS, in fact, I think its the best Civ game in the series and one of the best games I ever played. But even if it was so fun, I'm not gonna buy it again, that would be crazy! :crazyeye:

:lol: why not?

In that case I think you should wait for Civ V. :)

CivRev on the DS can't be patched, but I don't know whether that bothers you or not. I've been told the bugs in the DS version are not great, but I'm hesitant to get a civ game which has a permanent state.

:lol: why not?

In that case I think you should wait for Civ V. :)

CivRev on the DS can't be patched, but I don't know whether that bothers you or not. I've been told the bugs in the DS version are not great, but I'm hesitant to get a civ game which has a permanent state.

Thats a good point; however, I haven't heard about any serious bugs on Civ Rev DS...does anyone know of any?

Thats a good point; however, I haven't heard about any serious bugs on Civ Rev DS...does anyone know of any?

I ventured into the CivRev forum a week ago and someone said there's a bug when you unload a general from a boat. I haven't been following the bug reports closely, but I'd bet there are more bugs, however minor they may be.

I have civ rev on the DS and I've only ever had a game crash once on me in it. Not really sure what happened, but I went to save my game, and the screen telling me the game was saving, please wait, never went away, even after I left my DS for 10 minutes and came back. :confused:

That said, I don't find civ rev on the DS that enjoyable. I played the heck out of it for the first 2 weeks that I had it...got bored and now only ever play it if I'm traveling.

The thing I hate about Civ III is that the corruption is almost game-breaking IMO, and the games usually take longer than my short attention span :)...Has the corruption thing been fixed or is it just me who finds it extremely annoying?

Well corruption was a little bit difficult but communism helped to ease that a lot. Not wipe it out completely of course but it really really helped. Also communism was a great way to support a large army. I remember having an army size around 2 000 in some games, of course I had around 300 cities or so. Civ III also had bigger maps, the only maps that could surpass Civ III on Civ 4 was Terra maps but that's about it. On Civ III complete you have a great degree of choice from user created maps that were included in the pack, much like my favorite Kal El's world map where I played the Russian empire invading the world. I would suggest getting the classic game of Civ III

Well corruption was a little bit difficult but communism helped to ease that a lot. Not wipe it out completely of course but it really really helped. Also communism was a great way to support a large army. I remember having an army size around 2 000 in some games, of course I had around 300 cities or so. Civ III also had bigger maps, the only maps that could surpass Civ III on Civ 4 was Terra maps but that's about it. On Civ III complete you have a great degree of choice from user created maps that were included in the pack, much like my favorite Kal El's world map where I played the Russian empire invading the world. I would suggest getting the classic game of Civ III

I always found when I was playing civ 3 that communism was horrible with large maps. Instead of having my 10-20 core cities as nearly corruption-free and able to produce units, I had every city with like 50-60% corruption, so that, yes, my new cities could get more than 1 shield a turn, but my old ones weren't strong enough anymore to be the military pump that I would have wanted.

If you really hate corruption that much, you could just mod it out or reduce it. That's what I did. If you do that, Civ 3, definitely. I find it much more enjoyable than Civ 4 (let the flaming begin)

If you really hate corruption that much, you could just mod it out or reduce it. That's what I did. If you do that, Civ 3, definitely. I find it much more enjoyable than Civ 4 (let the flaming begin)

That would be a great solution, but I don't have any idea how to mod :(. Are there any mods availabe that reduce corruption?

Well, there is this thread I made... Alternatively, you could go into there and instead of reducing corruption, increase the Optimal City Number to some insanely high number. I believe this will stop 1-shield cities.

Civ III gold, that is what I want to get. It seems to fix the bugs of Civ III and offer new play styles. I do not realy recomend getting Revolution for the DS because the AI is so stupid that it makes them predictable and redundent, and even on Diety they do no pose a threat to people who have payed civ 3 or 4.
Civilization colonization has awsome ideas and gameplay concepts, its just that Firaxis did a bad job organizing it into a game. There are so many bugs you never stop finding new ones and the replayablibity factor is limited with only four civs and one way to win the game.

My Conclusion so far:

Civ Colonization: great game ideas, lots of unfixed bugs, good price

Civ Rev DS: bad graphics, linear gameplay, stupid AI, OK price

Civ III Complete: much better gameplay than vanilla Civ III, cannot find it anywhere anymore

My Conclusion so far:

Civ Colonization: great game ideas, lots of unfixed bugs, good price

Civ Rev DS: bad graphics, linear gameplay, stupid AI, OK price

Civ III Complete: much better gameplay than vanilla Civ III, cannot find it anywhere anymore

Amazon.com is your friend. And occasionally WalMart has the old Civ III complete.

Top Bottom