Mad Scientists Diplomacy

Lord Parkin

aka emperor
Apparently the Mad Scientists just met us. I'm a little confused as to when - presumably the end of last turn. The game's been down for the last two days, so maybe they're just extremely slow at writing messages? :confused:

HUSch said:
Greetings people of the north! Our brave but very tired sailors are beside themselves with joy at finally seeing signs of civilization. They are eager to enjoy the hospitality of your shores, if you are willing to grant them safe passage through open borders. As you can see, their mission of discovery is entirely peaceful and therefore you have nothing to fear from granting them this boon.

Messages can be delivered to our diplomatic council via Team.Mad.Scientists@gmail.com. We hope to hear a response swiftly so that our sailors' voyage is not delayed.

Respectfully,
HUSch of the Mad Scientists
Can't log in to check, but it sounds like they've met us via exploring Work Boat and have run into our northern shore either from the east or the west. The wording could mean we're the first team they've met, but possibly not (vaguely recalling posts from the forum where I'm sure MS were talking about being delayed by diplomacy).

Shall we accept open borders? Not really a big deal, and we'll seem a bit like a bunch of dicks if we don't. ;) With the show of goodwill opening borders we might be able to press them slightly for some information about how far away and what direction they're in. :)

Do we want to set up a team email address for diplomacy, or just accept PM's on the forums? I'm very regular on CFC (as you may have noticed ;) ), so I can post diplomacy very soon after we receive it. On the other hand though, a team email would ensure that everyone could access the diplomacy even if I was away for a day or something. :)

Absolutely want to open borders, we should be friendly and welcoming until we have good reason otherwise. No problem with letting their work boat go though. Maybe they have alphabet already, I'd be great if we could trade Code of Laws for something.

We're both buddied together at the lower end of the score chart, so it's actually nice we met over the other civs. Hopefully we'll be able to raise each other up to the others.

Absolutely Open Borders.

Please check for Alphabet and if they have cities on the top 5 cities list.

Do not tell them what our tech plan is and how much land, etc. we have. However, if we could get some info on them that would be great (esp if we're the first they've met).

I would say yes to a team e-mail. Lord Parkin can make it.

EDIT - Er, has Joshua been logged on the game for hours? I would like to connect. :)

Will check for Alphabet and such when the game is up again.

Obviously we won't immediately reveal our tech plan to them. However, anyone can easily see how much land another person has simply by analysing their number of cities in the diplomacy screen.

Anyway, once I see the situation I'll exercise my diplomatic capabilities and draft an email. Let's try to see if we can't get a few snippets of information out of them. :)

I'll organise a team email soon.

Don't forget to show us the e-mail before you send it to them. :)
Yeah, of course. :)

Also, what is Joshua doing in the game? He's been logged on for ages. :lol:
Which game are you talking about? He hasn't logged in in the MTDG, so I presume you're referring to the Saturn game... try to keep the discussions of that game to its own thread so we don't get confused. ;)

Which game are you talking about? He hasn't logged in in the MTDG, so I presume you're referring to the Saturn game... try to keep the discussions of that game to its own thread so we don't get confused. ;)

Me being online in the Saturn game wouldn't keep him out because we have separate civs. ;) Must be something with daveshack's big server hiccup or whatever is stopping us from making our move.

Erm... I don't know which version of Civstats you're looking at. ;) Mine shows that Joshua logged in and out over 3 days ago. Then our score increased yesterday. That's it. :)

According to CIVSTATS, Josh has been on the Demogame since 1:32 am in their time zone... I assume it's a mistake.

Actually he didn't log in. Our turn ended at that time and Joshua was last 1 that had logged in before that. We didn't play our turn since we thought it was paused.

Open borders - yes
Team email - yes

We should not tell immediately about our research, especially whe they didn't ask about it and didn't tell about theirs. However I don't see much point being very secretive especially when we're hoping to co-operate with them.

Checking espionage would make sense also. Of course they can turn it fully to us temporarily even if they have met others to fool us.

Yeah, I'm a bit confused about how DMOC is seeing Joshua as being logged into the MTDG. Maybe he's mixed up the different games or something. Remember that the MTDG is DOWN at the moment, so nobody can log in regardless. ;)

Hopefully we'll be able to cooperate with MS - that'd be really great. As Joshua points out, they're probably our best bet of a tech ally, since they're lumped at the bottom of the score chart with us.

Plako, that's a very good point - seeing 4 EP's directed towards us next turn won't prove anything one way or the other, but seeing less than 4 EP's will conclusively prove that MS know of someone else. ;)

Suggested email to MS:

Greetings, Mad Scientists!

We are very pleased to finally encounter another civilized nation in this cruel and barbarous world. Your brave sailors are the first foreign people our citizens have ever seen! Our people have thrown a celebration in your honour and would like to extend their warmest greetings. We are happy to immediately extend full open borders to your sailors as a show of goodwill. :)

Understandably, our people are very curious about your culture, and have many questions for your sailors. They are interested to know where your glorious nation is located with respect to ours: west or south, near or far. They are also very interested to hear if you have encountered any other cultures in these strange lands. Of course, we fully respect if you wish to keep this information to yourselves. However, we would be very appreciative if you would be willing to share a little of your knowledge of the world with us - sadly, our own explorers have not fared well to date.

On a different note, we have heard rumours of much more advanced and powerful civilizations existing in this world - some almost frighteningly so! We have noticed that our two nations share a lot in common in this respect: we are both ranked by scholars as being relatively weak compared to these other growing superpowers. Perhaps it would be in both of our interests to begin negotiations that could help our two nations to avoid falling behind in technology? Please let us know what you think. :)

Once again, a very warm welcome to you and your people. Enjoy your travels through the nation of Saturn!

Kind regards,
Lord Parkin of Saturn

P.S. You can continue to reach us by PM for the moment; we will have an email account soon.
Let me know of any corrections I should make. I want to send this off soon, so MS get it before their turn (ideally). :)

Okay, I'll give this a few more hours to get further replies and then send it off if there are no issues raised. :)

Top Bottom