Mad Scientists Diplomacy

Heh, thanks. Sent message as above to Mad Scientists. :)

Sent to MS:

Greetings once again,

You can now reach us at: saturn.mtdg@gmail.com

Looking forward to your response. :)

Sincerely,
Lord Parkin of Saturn

So, MS know someone else - I guess that's not surprising, I do remember them mentioning something a month or so ago about how they were delaying the turn for diplomatic reasons. What worries me is the complete silence in the 2.5 days since our diplomatic message to them. Especially since they've clearly already met someone else... prolonged silence would seem to imply (at least to me) that maybe they already have a nice alliance going with someone else, and aren't quite sure how to turn our eager requests away.

But then again, I guess it's "only" been 2.5 days. We have to remember the fact that MS seem to be incredibly slow at discussing things. Heck, it took them over 3 days after meeting us just to send a cordial "Hello, do you want Open Borders?" message! Who knows how long it'll take them to discuss entering into a potential alliance. ;)

Sent a reminder message to Mad Scientists, after discussing it with Joshua:

Hi Mad Scientists,

It has been almost 6 days since we sent a message of welcome to you, and we have not yet heard a single whisper in response. Even if you have not finished discussing your "in character" response (which we would find surprising), it would at least be nice if you would at least send an acknowledgment that you have received our message. :)

Regards,
Lord Parkin of Saturn
It's a bit snippy, but at least it gets the point across I think. ;)

Received a message of acknowledgment from MS.

[grossly belated] Greetings!
The lack of a response is entirely my fault - I haven't been able to spend my preferred 3 hours a day on the forums :)

Please don't take our lack of communication for a lack of interest - on the contrary! We are immensely excited to have met you.

Please forgive me for this rude omission, and I will do what I can to ensure that we send a response commensurate with the importance of our meeting.

Sincerely,
Peter Grimes, Mad Scientist
So, at least they're around. I still don't understand why if Peter has such a hard time keeping up with the forums, he can't just appoint someone else to be the diplomat to our nation though. :confused:

Sent a brief reply to MS:

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the info. I must confess though, I don't understand why you don't just appoint someone else to take care of diplomacy if you're so extremely busy right now. It makes sense, as you won't have as much to do, and we'll keep in more regular contact that way. ;)

- Lord Parkin

A reply (10 characters):

All good points, my friend :)

However, rashly appointing people to positions isn't the Scientific way ;)

The kicker of all this is that I'm really only very busy 6 or 7 times a year, and for 2 weeks at a time, at most... . . . But then, as I do the math, I guess it works out to a 1 in 3 chance of me being busy in any given week. That's not as rare as I had initially thought!

Just so you know, I will always post any communication I receive from another team - and I hope you do the same. There is no such thing as 'off the record'. At the same time, just because I tell you something in a personal email will not necessarily represent an official position. Those will always come from our team's email.

And just to be safe - please don't use the in-game diplo-communique method, except in emergencies. With a pitboss format, it's possible that someone may connect to the game and not report a diplo message.

-Pete

Shall we send another reminder message? It's been almost 10 freaking days now, and still no reply to our original message.

Still, I suppose the lack of a response is kind of an answer in itself. Even if they were to become our tech trading partners, they'd probably be almost useless because it'd take them 2 weeks to decide on a trade... :shake:

Maybe we should let them know that while we are eager to make trades and alliances and such, we feel they are, well... useless. See if they know they are useless in their silence or something stupid is going on and they're being forgetful or something.

Of course, while being polite somehow. ;)

How about this?

Greetings Mad Scientists,

We are wondering if you have yet come to any decision regarding a response to our diplomacy sent some 10 days ago. While it is understandable that teams need some time to discuss diplomatic responses in a democracy game, frankly we feel that the delay in your response to us is getting to the point of ridiculousness.

If your team continues to fail to respond to diplomacy in even a semi-reasonable period of time, then sadly we simply do not see how we can work with you - regardless of whether or not you are interested in our previous offer of partnership. We cannot be expected to wait for 1-2 weeks for a response to every communication that we try to initiate with you - that is just absurd. :(

Even if you have no interest in our offer (we have noticed that you have met other nations, which you may have preferential relations with), there is no excuse for not even sending a quick polite "no" response to us. Complete and utter silence (except for one brief communication some 4 days ago, saying you would respond shortly - which you did not) is simply rude.

Hopefully you will take this reminder as a wake-up call to seriously restructure the way you handle diplomatic relations with other teams. We look forward to your prompt response. With luck our two nations should be able to restore good relations very quickly - we just need you to fix your serious communication issues. :)

Sincerely,
Lord Parkin of Saturn

Glad you approve. I've made some minor edits since your post, I think it should be good to send now. Any objections?

I'll give it a few hours for people to post their opinions before I send it off. :)

Sent above message. Let's see what happens. :)

Got a quick PM response from DaveShack. For some reason he wanted it to be "off the record", so I'll respect that and not quote him directly. But all he basically said was that MS were having some big problems with a lack of participation on their team. He also said he'd see if he could start taking care of diplomacy himself.

Basically, it sounds as though people who have very little time have appointed themselves the diplomatic chiefs, so that everyone else has to get an okay from them before doing diplomacy. And obviously the rest of the team is getting frustrated because the "team leaders" are never around/available for discussion.

Okay, well good to know it's not a problem with us. Hopefully this will get sorted out soon then.

Top Bottom