Alternate History Thread V

Iggy's right, the Senone-dominated force was mostly just a raiding party. Not numerous enough to colonize Latium like the Tectosages et al in Galatia a hundred years later, plus they lack the motivation.
  • The Rise of Macedon was imminent and only and less than forty years away.
No, it wasn't. The outcome of even Chaironeia wasn't preordained, much less that another ruler such as Iason of Pherai wouldn't have achieved preeminence instead.

Moderately interesting news- In my tl, I just realized a really fun idea. William Walker has taken control of Nicaragua, and now after the Civil War, there was a large influx of diehard confederate types. I believe this will lead to the conquest of Honduras and some serious screwing with the Mexican Empire.

^^
EDIT: Though I am, unfortunately, totally stumped on what to do with Europe for the rest of the 1850's leading up to the Luxembourg Crisis.

Guess the PoD. The year is 1600. Some of the colonial borders might be a bit inaccurate/exaggerated.

Attachments

• RuthGuessThePoD 1600.GIF
    RuthGuessThePoD 1600.GIF
    223.3 KB · Views: 265
They don't, but that's a very distant consequence/butterfly effect.

(And actually, they do unite, if under rather different circumstances; the union fell apart a few decades later, though)

Something happened to Burgundy and England...... Charles the Bold has an heir or something? I don't know what this would have to do with England, or Austria for that matter though.

Who was the heir/ess that the English had to Holland (and Zeeland?) etc but they never really pushed the case as I recall...

EDIT: my bad, how does Austria Get united with the UKoEaN ?

so united via the Austrian Inheritance of the netherlands somehow? and then Austria+England, likely austria due to the reduced colonial focus of England?

so united via the Austrian Inheritance of the netherlands somehow? and then Austria+England, likely austria due to the reduced colonial focus of England?

More or less (if what you are saying is that Austria first inherited the Low Countries, then entered a personal union with England), but I wouldn't say the English colonial focus is all that reduced as compared to OTL 1600 (albeit the Hapsburg colonial efforts are at least as much Flemish or Dutch as English; still, the incipient settler colonies and fisheries in America are mostly English, and the English are involved in all the other enterprises as well to one extent or another).

How did the French acquire Navarre? What is the nature of the Geneva-lacking Swiss? Did Venice's history go exactly as in OTL as it seems? What is the Transylvanian/Hungarian state? More queries later.

I'd guess something really bad happened to the Turk in the mid fifteenth century, since Venice still has Negroponte. For that matter, how did Venice get her hands on Chios and Lesbos? Why does Burgundy still have the Somme towns; did the dissolution go better, or did the Austrians take them back at some point? What happened to Lithuania? Union with Novgorod instead of Poland?
Who was the heir/ess that the English had to Holland (and Zeeland?) etc but they never really pushed the case as I recall...
Gloucester married Jacqueline of Hainault, but couldn't press the case hard since his brother was rather busy conquering France at the time.

What's the butt-ugly salmon-colored thing...Moldavia?...Some kind of cossack state or Tatar khanate? Is that the Rhenish Palatinate under Bavarian control? And the Order is in charge of Kurland but not Livonia...but doesn't have Samogitia? :confused: By the way, what is the makeup of that Livonian thing - Confederacy a la OTL 16th century, the Livonian Order, or something else?

well first thing seems to me is no treaty of tordesillas, or maybe it was just ignored?

He did say the Union of Castile and Aragon occurred (and failed) for different reasons, which presumably puts the PoD considerably prior to that.

The salmon thing looks like a swollen Ruthenia or something like it to me.
Could be, in the old sense of Ruthenia though, right?

Speaking of Russia, to expand on Perfectionist's query, that doesn't just look like a Lithuanian union with Novgorod, but one that also includes, in some sort of autonomous status, Pskov, and what look like Smolensk and Polotsk. What...how...who...why...yeah.

Hmm. Has the (Holy Roman) Imperial title become hereditary as in OTL?

De facto (i.e., as in OTL), yes.

How did the French acquire Navarre?

A combination of dynastic claims and a fortunate intervention in Spain's aforementioned break-up. Though, that was far from the greatest prize of that intervention...

What is the nature of the Geneva-lacking Swiss?

Militant, aggressive, widely shunned and radical even by the measures of many of their fellow Republicans (a religious as well as political movement in this case). They had some egalitarian excesses that made them appeal rather less to some of the nearby cities, though they had mellowed out/threw the worst radicals overboard since then.

Did Venice's history go exactly as in OTL as it seems?

No, as you will notice if you look closer. Its Mediterranean policies and the struggle against the Ottoman Empire has been much more successful than in OTL.

What is the Transylvanian/Hungarian state?

Transylvania, with unrecognised claims to the Hungarian crown. A mostly independent Turkish tributary (like early Wallachia or Moldavia, though a bit less prone to breaking away due to greater internal weakness). Despite everything, its rulers are still Catholic, presumably as a last bid to save their power from being eroded by the ostentatiously Republican aristocracy.

I'd guess something really bad happened to the Turk in the mid fifteenth century, since Venice still has Negroponte.

Turkey did rather worse than in OTL in general, but something really bad happened rather later than you say (early to mid 16th century).

For that matter, how did Venice get her hands on Chios and Lesbos?

By taking advantage of a) their maritime superiority and b) the aforementioned series of most unfortunate events for the Ottoman Sultanate. Some of the eastern Mediterranean islands had changed hands several times over the years, but as can be seen the Venetians mostly won the war at sea.

Why does Burgundy still have the Somme towns; did the dissolution go better, or did the Austrians take them back at some point?

A bit of both; most importantly, the War of Burgundian Succession was a much more drawn-out and serious affair than in OTL and spawned a series of conflicts that basically replaced the Italian Wars in this world; in the end the Hapsburg kingdoms managed to force the French out of Flanders and even Picardy, but the French seized much of Lorraine. Both sides settled on that as a compromise being exhausted and very troubled internally at the time.

Union with Novgorod instead of Poland?

That's one of the things that happened to Lithuania, yes. Originally there was some other union still, but it didn't work out too well in the end...

das you are cruel, giving us bits and pieces of the TL :(

Isn't that the point? ;)

What's the butt-ugly salmon-colored thing...Moldavia?...Some kind of cossack state or Tatar khanate?

This will suffice for now:
North King said:
a swollen Ruthenia

It could also be translated differently, but that would make it too easy.

Is that the Rhenish Palatinate under Bavarian control?

Yes. There was some upheaval preceding that and certain other changes, ofcourse.

By the way, what is the makeup of that Livonian thing - Confederacy a la OTL 16th century, the Livonian Order, or something else?

The Kingdom of Livonia, a Danish satellite state though ruled by a German dynasty founded a renegade member of the Order's local government.

well first thing seems to me is no treaty of tordesillas, or maybe it was just ignored?

On the contrary, the local equivalent of the Treaty of Tordesillas has been kept relatively well until more recently, and is still a big deal for those who signed it, despite some adjustments. They are currently engaged in a drawn-out war with one of the violators. It wasn't exactly between Spain and Portugal, though.

Speaking of Russia, to expand on Perfectionist's query, that doesn't just look like a Lithuanian union with Novgorod, but one that also includes, in some sort of autonomous status, Pskov, and what look like Smolensk and Polotsk. What...how...who...why...yeah.

Yes, that was supposed to be Smolensk and Polotsk; I was afraid the borders were not close enough to the originals to show that clearly. They are not autonomous states, though; Lithuania is more of a feudal confederation at this point, bound by mutual treaties, interests and a ruling dynasty, if not necessarily the same rulers (not entirely unlike a more consolidated, less quarrelsome version of later Kievan Rus).

Top Bottom