Trade maps?

Alki

Prince
Why no trade maps in 5 or am I missing something blindingly obvious?

I really struggle to get into the game if I can't see where everyone is.

There is an option for map trading to be enabled after researching a technology when creating a mod. Ive implemented it in my mod but it still doesnt work. And no you're not missing anything, there is no map trading.

There is no map trading, use Caravels they have a long sight ;)

I think it's because of the natural wonders, you get rewards for finding them. If you could trade maps the finding part is ruined. Personally I don't care about natural wonders much, I think they should give a happyness bonus only if they are in your territory. And I hope they put map trading back in one of the next patches.

Personally I don't care about natural wonders much, I think they should give a happyness bonus only if they are in your territory. And I hope they put map trading back in one of the next patches.

Yeah it beats me too. I don't see a single reason why the natural wonder at the other side of the world within other country's borders should make me happy. With the possible exception of tourism which should generate money for the owning country or whatever. Another good idea but poor implementation.

And given that a single resource gives as much happiness as 5 natural wonders, there's no reason not to have more of said natural wonders. Perhaps all in the expansion...

And given that a single resource gives as much happiness as 5 natural wonders, there's no reason not to have more of said natural wonders. Perhaps all in the expansion...

Ahhh nooo please don't say something like this when we know they're planning to go for some cheap one or two civ DLC packs...

"Civilization V: Wonders of the World, episode 1. Discover the amazing mountain scenery of Southern Switzerland with four new wonders of the world that each add one happiness to your empire. Stay tuned for episode 2 due for an early Christmas release, where you will explore Northern Switzerland and Lake Constance!"

Ahhh nooo please don't say something like this when we know they're planning to go for some cheap one or two civ DLC packs...

"Civilization V: Wonders of the World, episode 1. Discover the amazing mountain scenery of Southern Switzerland with four new wonders of the world that each add one happiness to your empire. Stay tuned for episode 2 due for an early Christmas release, where you will explore Northern Switzerland and Lake Constance!"

I can see this happening. Everyone wants to follow "The Sims" business model. I have no desire to start chasing the dragon.

So this means they completely deleted map trading,which was a fundamental part of all Civ's so far, for the sake of 5 terrain features? Which, if given an other bonus system like only for the owner of it, would have worked out with map trading?

This is just an other moment where I think: "WTF DID THEY THINK WHEN THEY DESIGNED THIS THIS WAY????"

I like it. This is one part of the game that has become MUCH better IMO, as you really have incentive to keep exploring for a long time, instead of only at the beginning. Also, exploring is much easier since caravels have such huge sight, and you don't need to build transports to carry a scout over to another continent etc.

One thing I can agree with is that a later tech (like satellites) should reveal the whole map (although in most of my games so far, by then I had explored the whole map anyway).

I think having the embark ability is well worth the cost of giving up map trading. To tell you the truth, I always felt like I lost on the map trading in the old games since I'm usually ahead of the AI and have explored much nicer places. It seemed that the UI always knew when you had discovered a new place to settle and would immediately start harassing you about trading maps. Good trade off for me.

I like the fact that you can't trade maps. I often got the +1 movement from discovering the world is round without ever building a ship!

It would be nice if you could trade small maps. So perhaps only from the territory you own.

It would also be nice if you got some tiles discovered by taking cities. In some paradox-games you gain more knowledge of the enemies maps by taking their capital. It would be cool when taking an enemy city you gain knowledge of some surrounding area (same way like with goody huts).

Top Bottom