TURN BASED - how long can we wait?!

Balamutas LT

Chieftain
OK, I am so sick and tiried of waiting that I even desided to log on to this great forum and check if anybody else cares about the issue that stops me and my friends from playing CIV 5. 'Couse it's not possible to play this game until it's not a TRUELY TURN BASED GAME.

Yes it takes longer to wait for your oponents to end teir turns. But CIV never was about speed playing/clicking - it always was about thinking. Its like chess but much much more complex and entertaining.

Me and my frieds have played all the versions until CIV 5 FOR YEARS and now we simply can't. I believe that there are many more players who wait for what they paid for, for what they think they should have got from the very first version of CIV5. After all - isn't it possible to make a check box and then people can just choose the version for their liking?

I will be all sad, I do not care about any of these DLCs that is being pumped out every month, I will not buy anything else from PIRAXIS ------ UNTIL THESE ********* FIX IT.

Good bye,

Bala

Present hostile MP environment of CIV5 is very sad indeed.

I was amazed how they managed to destroy possibly very interesting and challenging online game making it "clickfest" instead.

Can't understand, why they can't make it turn based. If time for turn is the issue, than make 2min base time, than make the game add +1min for every 100 turns passed till 5mins.
So It will be 3min at turn 100, 4min at turn 200 and maximum of 5 mins at turn 300.

If players want quick game, they can make small map with 2 players and choose quick speed. So the average game will take only 2-3 hours.

I wasn't aware mp forces the use of turn timers. Is it really that game breaking? I like TBS as much as any other civ player, but turns don't seem to take that long in civ5.

I haven't played mp for civ5 yet, so I'm kind of curious about this if someone wouldn't mind explaining the issue here.

I remember in older Civ you had the ability to choose "Simoleatnous Turns" i.e everyone made their turns (except the A.I) at the same time....

But I do agree, that I've found a lot of things unessecarily removed (animations, leaderheads) but it still lags :/ xD.

Ahh, the game needs some serious optimization.

I would love it if MP had a turn-based option in addition to its current form. The click-fest has its plusses, but turn-based would make the combat more chess-like and less Tetris-like.

I was skeptical hearing about the simultaneous turn taking but now that I've played multiplayer I actually really like it.

HOWEVER I have only played with friends.

I agree. The current click fest doesn't exactly perform strategically. There has to be a way to make it more turn based and thoughtful.

I too, am only really interested in turn-based play. This option not being available is very frustrating, and was the only reason I wanted to play CiV.

And the most interesting thing is that they have already implemented the HOT SEAT game mode. It can't possibly be so much different from traditional MP TURN BASED mode - think about it.

Please, Piraxis, don't be lazy. You prooved that you can launch endlees DLC packages, why not just ad an option that was originaly included in all previous CIV games? For some people TURN BASED mode is the only reason why they baught the game.

It's the same as if you would by set of schess and the only mode you were able to play would be the one with limited time.... Some kind of missunderstanding.

for teamgames with decent folks, turn based will be FASTER than simultaneous turns because people don't need to spend 3 mins running down the clock and they can actually end their turn

Waiting for turnbased MP. Well, its only been OVER A YEAR! I say, let a new team of real game developers make the Civ 6 (and lets release the game at least half-finished), and lets pretend this never happened...mmkay?

I think turn based wouldn't work. What would happen u can move one unit at a time and wait for someone else to move one after? You know how long that would take? Its not a clickfest. Buy a faster computer and get a good connection and compete with the big dogs!

-AwesoMe

I am ok with this as an option, but for me I'd never play turned based MP, and unlike most people I have actually played true turn based MP back with Civ2 before they added simu turns in a patch later on.

Yes simu turns may be a bit of a clickfest, but it is a clickfest for everyone equally. It doesn't give advantage to any one player. Turn based may be slower, but it also means that if it is not your turn you get to sit their and watch your units get decimated by a player that has his turn before you and there is nothing you can do but watch.

And MP players no longer have to run the clock since Firaxis added the ability to move units after the end turn is pressed in a patch awhile back.

CS

Turn based is toooooo slow. Its 1.5-6 times slower than simultaneous. Even at simultaneous turns it may take more than 6 hours per game. Finishing it at turn based will be impossible in one day.

Clickfest can be used by everyone, but even if ping is equal there ARE problems that lead to unfair game. For example, swordsman wants to attack archer, archer wants to retreat: what is more fair to be done first in such situation? Clickfest doesnt provide predictable outcome. And it is often very crucial to move first.

Leave alone situations when one player's ping is at least 100 higher... An enemy will ALWAYS move first. And dont say "get better provider"... Technical issues should be lowered to minimum. (imagine a game where the one who has faster PC wins... pretty strange)

Overall, I mean that both these systems have significant flaws.

But I'm absolutely positive that with several changes in simultaneous system games will be both FAST and FAIR. It may seem that its too much, but that way even the smallest way to exploit something "simultaneous turns"-related will be eliminated. Games will be even faster than now, and more tactical cause now it'll be your ability to predict enemy actions that decides winner, not ping or clickfesting.
http://forums.2kgames.com/showthrea...ouble-turn-issues.-(without-going-Turn-Based)

Or people could just get used to positioning and moving units clever?

Obviously if you position your units like you would do in singleplayer you will loose some vs some1 clever - just like some1 clever will get more production as you.

I m playing enough to get a good sample size and well games are never like the worse player (who gets less production, science and so on) magicly wins cause he moves faster - no!

If there are clever guys on both sides fastmoving is very unimportant - its mainly exchanging units anyway.
And if skills are different its even less important the more powerful one will just overpower the other.

I am not saying that moving might not be "fixed" somehow - but in fact it would be a fix for a very minor problem.

Main problem is just that most players want and try to play mp as sp and wonder that they arent succesful when facing some1 clever instead of dumb ai

I agree with Tommy, if clicking slower is deciding your battles and your game in the long run, you are not using good tactical movement and placement of your units. Fixing your tactics will do a lot more good than playing turn based were your weak tactics won't hurt you as much :-/

CS

Top Bottom