Onan's Naval GMR game (G&K)

Probably not less than 24 hours, but I'm not clear if that's for an entire game turn, or per player. If it's the latter, it would be much too long. If it's the former, I think it may cause difficulties for some players, because we can only set it to one time zone, and with us being spread all over, someone might face their turn ending in the middle of the night, or only being left with two hours to play, or something like that. I guess the only way to really know is to test it. I'll probably start the game without it, get some answers to some questions, and maybe implement it later.

Hmmm ... given mel's reply in the GMR thread, it's starting to sound to me like the turn timer might not work very well for us -- might be more trouble than it's worth?

One things, this will be my 1st multiplayer game, so if there is anything I need to know please tell me before I act like a fool!

What he said.

One common MP strategy is to do a sword rush early against a close neighbor. Tab (and me sometimes as well) like to do this. With the new expansion, it's not quite so simple as a sword rush, but I'm sure there'll still be some early action.

Also, just to start the propaganda off: Carthage already has early harbors--if we let him get God of the Sea, he'll be a complete beast with insane early production. Get building those shrines, people! :)

Launching the game now. :cool:

Hey guys, as I just expounded upon in the main GMR thread, the new turn-timer could probably be of value to you in a game like this. The main time limit is per player, not per game turn. This means that if you were to set it to 8-hours for example then each player would have exactly 8-hours from the moment the previous player submits to take their turn. If they don't do it within that limit then the AI will take their turn for them and the game will progress to the next player. You probably don't want to bother with the optional expiration zones or disabling just specific days.

If all the players and their time zones are arranged such that the game should be at each player during their playable time, this could work really well. If not no big deal, games have persevered without it :)

I personally dont mind a good ol rush, tough with the kind of game we are playing, it might be a lot more difficult(swordman are notoriously bad at crossing ocean)

Also, I plan to do an early religion if able, and yes, carthage will be a beast if we let him get the extra hammer!

Also, any special rule on ElDorado and Fountain of youth? Those can be very game breaking if they spawn close to anyones capital.

One common MP strategy is to do a sword rush early against a close neighbor. Tab (and me sometimes as well) like to do this. With the new expansion, it's not quite so simple as a sword rush, but I'm sure there'll still be some early action.

Also, just to start the propaganda off: Carthage already has early harbors--if we let him get God of the Sea, he'll be a complete beast with insane early production. Get building those shrines, people! :)

Launching the game now. :cool:

@ Denmark: Sword rush in a naval game?

I think the Vikings are propaganda ing hard early on.

Edit: Could you please edit your first post with settings, civs players etc. so that these information is easier to track once we get to 10+ pages? Thank you

@Polynisian and English: William thinks a good advice is keeping an eye on the military strength in the demographics, if you see you are falling behind, you need to give up some crazy wonder only strategy. Before that wonders are ok to go. Watchout after turn 50 when most civs will go aggressions.

@All: William found his people standing on the poor tundra terrains, without forest. Normally he will forget about religion, but who knows better than the civ RNG god.

trireme - Caravel - Ironclad - Destroyer

Privateer - Destroyer

(dromon) - Galleass - Frigate - Battleship

Iron, Coal, Oil are important resources to grab.

Dont worry EEE_BOy, I know how the game is played :) I was mostly if there was any special rules that is a given in a CIV game that I wasnt aware of.

Dont worry EEE_BOy, I know how the game is played :) I was mostly if there was any special rules that is a given in a CIV game that I wasnt aware of.

Since the game has started, no rule will be attached I guess. So feel free to take whatever advantage you can get:p

That upgrade line was intended for myself as well. :lol:

If all the players and their time zones are arranged such that the game should be at each player during their playable time, this could work really well. If not no big deal, games have persevered without it :)

True, if the turn order is all synced up. But if not, and a player's 8 hours starts about when they go to sleep, they might miss out, through no fault of their own. It seems about the minimum time each player should have would be about 12 hours, so they have a good chance for that time to line up with their lives.

Probably most wouldn't use much of their timer...but, theoretically, in a turn a day game, with eight players, you'd only want to set that timer to 3 hours per player, to maintain that turn a day. Though of course it probably would go quicker as a result. But missing turns would be pretty easy.

A little fantasising here: included in GMR, a scheduling service: players input their time zones and play times. GMR then provides the optimal turn order, with a turn timer that matches all or some of their play time.

Imagine that! You'd end up with a civ experience on a par with, or even exceeding, a pit boss game. :D

One can dream, right? ;)

Hey, I want to join if possible!

GMT + 1 and can play these times 19:00 - 00:00. Plus minus some hours if I required.

I am new to multiplayer but I hope I can join anyway! My steam name is Phantaquh.

Hey, I want to join if possible!

GMT + 1 and can play these times 19:00 - 00:00. Plus minus some hours if I required.

I am new to multiplayer but I hope I can join anyway! My steam name is Phantaquh.

This one has started, but there will be more GMR games coming. Please keep an eye on the new thread;)

I can't load the game because i don't have a dlc. I don't have them all. The only one missing is the maps+wonders pack.

A little fantasising here: included in GMR, a scheduling service: players input their time zones and play times. GMR then provides the optimal turn order, with a turn timer that matches all or some of their play time.

Imagine that! You'd end up with a civ experience on a par with, or even exceeding, a pit boss game. :D

One can dream, right? ;)

Added it to our to-do list ;)

I can't load the game because i don't have a dlc. I don't have them all. The only one missing is the maps+wonders pack.

Uh oh, I didn't realise I had to set this manually. We'll have to scrap this game and re-do the setup, I'm afraid. Either that or somebody gives Tab $3 to buy the ancient wonders pack (mine came with Korea). :p

Added it to our to-do list ;)

Awesome!! :D:crazyeye::D

I would give the 3$, as long as he drive to Ottawa lol

What do you think, Tab? Should I hold out for the chance you might buy the extra DLC? Or should I stop being lazy and remake the game? :D

Top Bottom