AI in multiplayer games-any fix at all?

mrscotty

Chieftain
So, to set a little background, I'm a fairly casual civ player, I've been playing since release mostly around king level, it's gotten to a point where I can win with the 'optimal' strategies so I can fiddle around with more fun stuff. A couple of my roommates picked up the game and we've been trying to play multiplayer with limited success.

The major complaint is, as is common knowledge, the simply baffling MP AI. Diplomacy, it seems, is entirely gone, with AI never talking to the player or proposing or extending deals, though when the player goes to the AI the same systems do seem to be there. At first we weren't sure if this was some kind of screwy "quick diplomacy" that we'd accidentally turned on, but reading the forums it seems like Firaxis just dun goofed somehow. What you get is a contrast between single player's alliances and world wide wars and multiplayer's endless crickets as you hit the 'next turn button' or conquer everybody out of boredom.

The question I have is, has anyone with MP experience had any success making the AI even remotely work? I know they suck at small continents maps but does Pangea help them out any? Do they conduct diplomacy between themselves and just leave you out, so you just have to go initiate all the time, or are they just silent, lonesome wanderers? I've heard hotseat helps, possibly because it's only 1 human player going at a time, is there a way to take turns, but on separate computers, just as a fix until someone with two brain cells to rub together makes a mod to fix the actual problem? I understand the rote response is "play vs humans!" and I've heard it, so there's no need to restate it. We want to play a game with a couple of us competing against a bunch of them, but without the hacks, uber-elite players and racist homophobes you generally get on online games with no lobby screening process and without playing against each other so we want to tear each others throats out.

Thanks for your consideration, folks. If there's any way you can help, we three prospective co-operative players will be grateful.

Also, if anybody knows about a mod or even a mod in progress to bridge the gap, now that the mod community seems to be picking up, that would also be aces.

I too am interested in a mod to enable proper AI and diplomacy in multiplayer. Is it feasible with the new tools?

AI in mp don't respond to you because in simultaneous turns you don't want a stupid window popping when the other human is raping your units in the next seconds of play. It was a major complain from civ4 so they decided to remove this feature. And this is perfect like that.

Anyways, like in sp games, you rarely accept what the AI will propose you but mostly what you gonna decide by your own. So i don't see any problem here.

Well, like every features you probably want an OPTION to decide what you really want in the game or not. I understand this but sim. turns is really against this kind of interactive play with the AI. It can really screw a game.

Just ask the AI what you want and you will be fine.

AI in mp don't respond to you because in simultaneous turns you don't want a stupid window popping when the other human is raping your units in the next seconds of play. It was a major complain from civ4 so they decided to remove this feature. And this is perfect like that.

Anyways, like in sp games, you rarely accept what the AI will propose you but mostly what you gonna decide by your own. So i don't see any problem here.

Well, like every features you probably want an OPTION to decide what you really want in the game or not. I understand this but sim. turns is really against this kind of interactive play with the AI. It can really screw a game.

Just ask the AI what you want and you will be fine.

Wow, you're completely wrong and have no idea what you're talking about. And yes, not having them contact you does significantly change the game and it also disables half of the intrigue system.

First off, it was not a major complaint in Civ 4. Why? Because anyone that was actually bothered would have checked the "Minimize Pop-Ups" option which made the AI contact not show up until after you moved all your units, completely solving the imaginary problem you're complaining about.

They could easily do something similar in Civ 5 or have them function like City-States where a notification of contact appears on the right at the beginning of turn and you can click to address them when you are ready.

Wow, you're completely wrong and have no idea what you're talking about.

I think i mixed another game by mistake. Didn't remember that the AI actually shows after unit moves. That would be a good feature to include to civ5 then.

But still, in sp i very often refuse AI demands because they are just too absurd.

What annoys me in SP is the constant badgering for an embassy. And even if you do give in and grant it, then they constantly ask you for bloody open borders. Why can't they just take no for an answer?

....ok, so how about making the AI dip system to, I don't know, do something like pop up a little yellow globe with an offer that opens up the dip screen on the side when you want to click on it, that'd be a pretty crazy thing to include in the MP and-

Oh wait, it's already in there for when other players dip you.

So the question again, how hard would combining that and the SP dip system be, if the systems are all in place? Do any modders know if that would be possible/impossible/summon cthulhu?

While you're at it, enable mods, scenarios and all the maps for MP. Easy order, I know :)

Wow, you're completely wrong and have no idea what you're talking about. And yes, not having them contact you does significantly change the game and it also disables half of the intrigue system.

First off, it was not a major complaint in Civ 4. Why? Because anyone that was actually bothered would have checked the "Minimize Pop-Ups" option which made the AI contact not show up until after you moved all your units, completely solving the imaginary problem you're complaining about.

They could easily do something similar in Civ 5 or have them function like City-States where a notification of contact appears on the right at the beginning of turn and you can click to address them when you are ready.

I acctualy wanted answer that you might put your head out of your ass - but then I realized that d be against forum rules. And I decided to be a nice guy - people like nice guy.
So I ll give you some help

You want a window to contact ai? IT IS THERE - click ai --> contact --> profit
AINT THAT HARD - IS IT?

And if your mind is not able to suggest deals yourself - civ might just be the wrong game for you and you should stick to counterstrike

Moderator Action: Don't troll around.

So, to set a little background, I'm a fairly casual civ player, I've been playing since release mostly around king level, it's gotten to a point where I can win with the 'optimal' strategies so I can fiddle around with more fun stuff. A couple of my roommates picked up the game and we've been trying to play multiplayer with limited success.

The major complaint is, as is common knowledge, the simply baffling MP AI. Diplomacy, it seems, is entirely gone, with AI never talking to the player or proposing or extending deals, though when the player goes to the AI the same systems do seem to be there. At first we weren't sure if this was some kind of screwy "quick diplomacy" that we'd accidentally turned on, but reading the forums it seems like Firaxis just dun goofed somehow. What you get is a contrast between single player's alliances and world wide wars and multiplayer's endless crickets as you hit the 'next turn button' or conquer everybody out of boredom.

The question I have is, has anyone with MP experience had any success making the AI even remotely work? I know they suck at small continents maps but does Pangea help them out any? Do they conduct diplomacy between themselves and just leave you out, so you just have to go initiate all the time, or are they just silent, lonesome wanderers? I've heard hotseat helps, possibly because it's only 1 human player going at a time, is there a way to take turns, but on separate computers, just as a fix until someone with two brain cells to rub together makes a mod to fix the actual problem? I understand the rote response is "play vs humans!" and I've heard it, so there's no need to restate it. We want to play a game with a couple of us competing against a bunch of them, but without the hacks, uber-elite players and racist homophobes you generally get on online games with no lobby screening process and without playing against each other so we want to tear each others throats out.

Thanks for your consideration, folks. If there's any way you can help, we three prospective co-operative players will be grateful.

Part in bold:You can do this with Giant Multiplayer Robot.Does anyone know if the AI acts the same way in hotseat?Or is it normal?If it is, I think GMR might fix the OPer's problem, but it might be slower.I don't know if the AI's any better in hosteat, anyway, though.

I acctualy wanted answer that you might put your head out of your ass - but then I realized that d be against forum rules. And I decided to be a nice guy - people like nice guy.

AINT THAT HARD - IS IT?

And if your mind is not able to suggest deals yourself - civ might just be the wrong game for you and you should stick to counterstrike

Let's calm down. Multiplayer diplomacy AI is worse than singleplayer diplomacy AI because it doesn't suggest deals or give you any feedback like, "Stop settling cities near us!" or "We're going to kill Catherine, want to come?"

I would like those features back.

I just don't know why people want AI in MP games, when we are trying to replace AI with human player in every MP game we had.

AINT THAT HARD - IS IT?

I was the one being an ass? Really, how does your suggestion address the fact that the intrigue system is basically disabled because the AI never contacts you? How about the fact that the AI radically changes what it accepts on a deal for deal basis every turn and there are plenty of times they will propose a deal that they'd reject the next turn if you made it? How does it address people who want to play MP with more immersion?

And I was completely right that there were no legitimate complaints about this in IV because there was an option in-game which solved those complaints AND I proposed a way to make it work in V.

But I guess answering with all that makes me an ass? Wow! Maybe this is all just a little too hard for YOU to understand so maybe you should go back to counterstrike.

I just don't know why people want AI in MP games, when we are trying to replace AI with human player in every MP game we had.

Because some people actually enjoy playing mixed AI and human games, others enjoy manipulating the AI, and others like playing the "single" player type game co-op with a partner. People don't have to play the way you think is right.

Part in bold:You can do this with Giant Multiplayer Robot.Does anyone know if the AI acts the same way in hotseat?Or is it normal?If it is, I think GMR might fix the OPer's problem, but it might be slower.I don't know if the AI's any better in hosteat, anyway, though.

Actual, since hotseat is built from the SP game and not the MP game, the AI works fine in Hotseat. The problem is that GMR takes FOREVER loading and saving and restarting the game every turn. If a fan mad program can solve this, there's no reason why it can't be officially streamlined and incorporated into the game.

Well, mrscotty, you could try GMR if you don't mind how slow it is.Their website is multiplayerrobot.com, and they've got a video tutorial there on how to use it.

Because some people actually enjoy playing mixed AI and human games, others enjoy manipulating the AI, and others like playing the "single" player type game co-op with a partner. People don't have to play the way you think is right.

Ok he I have to give you an answer which proly wont make you happy:
Firaxis dont care about you at all, your a too small group of players to invest resources.

There arent many mp anyway and we ll have to be happy to have a kind of working mp anyway, and this niche of bad "coop" player is just too slim.

And I write the word bad not to attack anybody but too make clear that a good player would check and propose deals himself anyway. And therefore the missing "hey dont forget me i m still there" ai contact isnt a miss for him.
In fact I m quite anyoed in sp from the popups all the time - if I want a deal i ll tell them - I am the boss

I like to play LAN in person, and a game with only three or four players in it isn't as interesting to me as a game with eight players where four or five are competent AIs.

Also, you've got the thing where in every multiplayer game human players will drop out, and it would be good to have a decent AI to take over from them when they do.

Ok he I have to give you an answer which proly wont make you happy:
Firaxis dont care about you at all, your a too small group of players to invest resources.

Who cares about Firaxis? I'm pinning my hopes on modders these days. And in any case, multiplayer guys will play the good multiplayer games. If you don't put a decent multiplayer mode in your game, of course you're not going to see a good multiplayer community.

That may be true, but it doesn't change the fact that Firaxis did include all of these standard expected featured in Civ IV. So if anything, it just speaks to Firaxis caring less about their fan base than they used to.

Who cares about Firaxis? I'm pinning my hopes on modders these days. And in any case, multiplayer guys will play the good multiplayer games. If you don't put a decent multiplayer mode in your game, of course you're not going to see a good multiplayer community.

even coders usually care more about good and dedicated players, and as discribed - those dont need a mod which forces ai to contact you.

Top Bottom