LENES: That Noisome Silence

The Chronicles of the Yallwin Elves.

About the Creation, The Fall and the Curse and After The Fall.

Memories of an Old Elf King, or Eledaen and the death of Caladhros.

I still remember it like if it were yesterday. I can still feel the ashes on my face, my throat dry because of the smoke and the blood shed at my feet.

Under the moonlight the blood acquired a crimson hue, giving my sword a deadly beauty. Before me was lying the body of my old King. Dressed in his once magnificent white armor, wrapped in a black cloak, Caladhros still preserved his haughty appearance, reminding everyone that one day he was the King in the Tower. At his feet was lying among the grass his sword, Skyscraper, stained with the blood of many good elves. That night, Caladhros the Heartbroken gave his best, but it was not enough. He could have been the best warrior of his people, and a powerful wizard, but he was also the oldest of all the elves, and the weight of the years was present on his shoulder during the fight. Moreover, the old King carried on his heart many sorrows of the past, which surpassed even his hatred. It seemed that his mind and his body begged for a rest. And they were given a rest, and Caladhros was finally at peace.

However, the fight was hard, because although weakened, the old King was still a formidable opponent. The duel lasted for hours, and while we fought the battle raged around us. The troops of the Empire, composed of legions of men with minds and hearts corrupted by the evil Lord of Darkness were fighting against elven troops. But for our grief, we were not just fighting humans. The gallant prince Vadwen, the heir of Aewen, the King of the Night Elves, brought an army of elves with him to the battlefield, and on this day, brother killed brother. In that day, we were sure that Aewen and his people had betrayed the their own race. And for such an act, they will never be forgiven.

But I'm digressing again. Returning to the duel, Caladhros and I fought on a small hill, causing a true show of lights in the middle of the battlefield, impressing the soldiers on both sides. When both of us came to the conclusion that a duel of magic would end in a draw, we unsheathed our swords and we started a fierce duel, the result of which is already known to you. But I could feel that my victory did not come without a cost.

And, in that ravaged field, surrounded by nothing but my fallen opponent and the ground covered with ashes, with the sound of screams coming from the agonizing Imperial city burning to the north, I, Eledaen, realized that my years of fighting were over, and that I should retire my sword. But today I live peacefully, knowing that my sacrifice brought our victory, and helped to destroy a great evil in the world.

The Origin of Atalladania

The people of Saipan were a prosperous tribe. The forests were filled with game and flora, the rivers overflowing with fish. But most curiously of all were the shiny stones that protruded from the ground. The villagers would collect them and play with them as toys, until one day a ship arrived at their village. Off stepped the fairest folk the people of Saipan had ever seen. They came in search of people to trade with, and when they saw the stones the villagers played with, they immediately began offering the finest goods the city had ever seen. Fine weapons, exotic foods and spices, even items inlaid with minor magic (unheard of by the people of Saipan). The village grew into a town, bringing in foreign men and even a few other races. Walls were put up, a mine was built, and the people were never wealthier. The town even had the honor of hosting an Elven ambassador, and at a great feast held in their honor, the men and elves toasted to their mutual friendship.

In the town, the children could now play, and one of those children was a girl named Serrah. Kind and generous, she happily enjoyed her childhood playing with friends, eating good food, and even going to the new school that was built in the town. Life was good for the people of Saipan, and Serrah was happy with her friends and family.

Yet their prosperity did not go unnoticed. Walls went up around the town to protect it from minor bandits, but as the town grew bigger, so did their enemies. Rival cities on the river vied with Saipan to be a trading hub, and some wanted to take over the mines around the city for their own personal exploitation. The elves sent a battalion of men to guard the city in honor of their friendship, and that deterred many would be conquerors. It would, until the city came in the sights of the Empire.

The Empire wanted the mines for themselves, but also it wanted to break a key aspect of elven trade. One day, as Serrah and the other townsmen went upon their day, they saw a great dragon in the sky. Serrah, like many others saw it and was astounded. They had never seen a dragon before; they only had heard of it in stories. It would have been one of the greatest moments in her life until she heard the words

“I AM ISAROTH. BURN”

The entire world went up in flames it seemed. Buildings collapsed instantly from the fires and screams of panic and terror filled the streets. The elves and some of the townsmen gathered as men in shiny armor came in and charged. The elves and armored men fought, and while the defenders were brave, they were slain before the men and their mighty dragon ally.

The people of Saipan tried to escape, fleeing into the woods, but they were rounded up by the soldiers. Serrah and the others were brought before the men’s commander, a thick man, bald and fat hanging from his chin. The commander declared that the people of Saipan were traitors to the race of men and that those who died today deserved it due to their allegiance to the elves. But, there was also a chance of redemption. They were now ruled by the Empire and guided by the mighty dragons. With dragons, the Empire would bring men to the forefront of races, and humanity would help the dragons rule the world. There was no point trying to argue it for the people of Saipan, as they had seen the might of the dragon Isaroth. There was fear and resptect, but there was also hatred. The remaining people would be allowed to atone for their betrayal though by helping the Empire build a glorious monument. They would be forgiven in the next life by becoming slaves for the remainder of this one.

The slaves were brought on a horrific sea voyage beneath the decks of the slave galleys, chained to the oars as they rowed. They arrived tied neck to neck, arms bound as they walked shackled. They saw the tower they would be building. The tower itself had a presence that could be felt everywhere, a feeling of despair and hatred. The tower sapped the hope of the slaves the second they saw the tower, and were malleable in the hands of their wizard masters.

The masters were cruel, beating and breaking their slave, but none were as cruel as the highest master of all; the dragon Rathalos. Rathalos would fly around the tower, up and down, watching his slaves. If he felt they were slacking, or if he wanted to “inspire” others working nearby, he would blast the pathway with fire, burning the slaves into the tower. The slaves were broken to the will of the Empire, and they accepted the fact that they would stay here until they died.

Yet for all the despair, for whatever reason, the children still could find joy. Perhaps it was because they knew little of life before. Maybe it was the optimism of children in general. It certainly wasn’t for lack of work; the masters hit them harder than anyone. But the children persevered.

Among the children, one stood out among them; Iskan. Iskan was, for all intents and purpose, a normal child. He had no magic, no great strength or intellect. All he had was his attitude. No matter what the slavers threw at him, he still had the resolve to live on. His attitude was infectious; the children started becoming more defiant, and slaves who had been there for years began having hope for the future.

The masters were unconcerned though, and only made their slaves work harder to combat this new energy. The whips cracked down harder and faster than ever, Rathalos flying above sinisterly, as they added level after level to the tower. After six days of straight work with no sleep, the slaves were at their breaking point. The masters magic could not keep them working, and at last, one slave collapsed. An old slave could no longer work. The other slaves tried lifting Bomir, but it was no use, and they too collapsed from exhaustion. Rathalos at last descended from the sky, landing to the ground gracefully in front of the old man, and smiled a cruel smile. As he was about to unleash a torrent of flame, something unthinkable happened; a rock hit Rathalos. It hit with a loud thump, and then another, and then another. Rathalos turned and saw the young Iskan throwing rocks at him. Serra was about to scream but another slave held her back as Rathalos flew to Iskan and grabbed him with his tail. Rathalos flew up, clutching the boy in his tail, and then released. Iskan screamed as he fell, flying down towards the tower and as he was about to hit the tower, Rathalos grabbed him in his claws and flew him back up into the sky. Once he was high enough, Iskan was released again, plummeting towards the tower until Rathalos caught him again. This went on again and again, the world deathly silent as the slaves watched in abject horror and the masters in awe of the dragon’s power, silent except for the screams of Iskan. At last the dragon flew up higher, higher than anyone had ever seen a dragon fly up, and then he threw Iskan into the tower. There was no sound as he hit the tower, and his mangled corpse hit the tower without sound. His body laid there, broken, and the slaves began to weep. They wept uncontrollably, what little hope they had brought back gone. They had at last seen the hopelessness of their situation.

The slaves fell to their knees in their despair. The young girl Serrah cried. She cried tears of such pain and despair that even Gods took notice. Atalladan, a god of justice and a hater of dragons took notice of the girl and went down to her. In her head he whispered

“You have gone through something no child should ever have gone through. And I am now going to ask you to go through something even worse. Will you, to protect your people?”

“Yes” Serrah whispered

“Then take my light, and dispense my justice”

A blinding light came down and there stood Serrah, adorned in a brilliant golden armor. Swinging a mighty sword, she sliced her closest master in half, and began rushing the others. The other slaves, encouraged by her act of rebellion began standing up, and even though they had not slept for six days, began rushing their masters, invigorated by their new savior. They killed master after master, and Rathalos burned slave after slave. Rathalos began searching for the golden woman. He flew up slightly but then a blinding light came out from above his head. As he turned his mouth opened in shock:

In a moment of great power, the girl had flown. Above the dragon she cried “PERISH” and brought her mighty blade down upon the dragon. With a loud scream, Rathalos was brought to the ground and died an agonizing death for his punishment.

Serrah raised her blade and the slaves cheered. She announced they were free due to the justice of Atalladan. She asked them to join her in making a society dedicated to purging the evils of this world and creating a society that would uphold Atalladan’s tenants. Most importantly, she asked them to join in the most important quest that the God had given them: to wipe out the Dragons. The now-free men cheered loudly. They burned the tower, and sailed off to find a new home. They found their promised land: They found Atalladania.

M'kay, I can't hold back anymore.

Nuka, I totally stole the name for that dragon from some Japanese game :p

Culture Name: Atalladanian Humans
Starting Location: The river mouth
Society: Atalladanian society is based around their worship of and faith in Atalladan. The monarch MUST be obeyed, for he or she is seen as the highest instrument of Atalladan’s will, and the enforcer of his decrees upon this world, as well as the top of the VERY rigid caste system. The monarch rules through two wings: the Priesthood and the Military. The Priesthood runs the civil governance of towns and cities to ensure their well-being, well-running, and prosperity. The Military is responsible for the physical safety and security of the populace. Beneath them are the “honest” laborers; craftsmen, farmers and those who do honest work. Beneath them are the merchants, who try profiting off of others work. Beneath even merchants are the tainted and the heretics, who are for the most part unable to participate in society. Slavery is completely banned. Bringing slaves into Atalladania is illegal and it carries a strict prison sentence (citizen or foreigner). Men and women are equal under the law, which is very strictly enforced.
There is a holy war upon Dragons
Religion: The state religion is (obviously) the worship of Atalladan. It is a requirement to live in Atalladanian lands to declare your first and foremost allegiance to Atalladan. Most only worship Atalladan, though some do honor other gods (highly frowned upon though, and few dare do it openly, usually called “tainted”). Worship or honor of Falladan is completely forbidden, and those who do are called “heretics”. Atalladanians declare an unending war against heretics for the honor of Atalladan, and will not stand the blemish they place upon the Lord of Morning’s world.
Mythos: Mythos
Economy: Fishing, Farming, Mining. Smithing, trading, crusading.
Country Names: Chaldia
City names: Joresum, Sidan, Ceres, Atovia, Kellal, Helca, Atalladanios,
Person Names:
Male: Soren, Jellal, Natan, Laxun, Lio, Sammat, Joffen, Kibal, Halco
Female: Eza, Maja, Kayl, Maraga, Serrah, Sia, Jia, Kia, Aia
Place Names: Ia-Land, Ios-a respectful honorific, Fal-Fort (So if you wanted to make Fort Kellal, you’d all it Fal-Kellal) Al-village (Village Kellal would be Al-Kellal). Town-Av (Town defined as any village with a permanent priest residing their full time with a fully dedicated religious building there, town Kellal would be Av-Kellal) City-Tel (Any area with a full garrison, governor, walls, fulltime religious staff, and a non military population of over 1,000. Kellal, reaching city status would be called Tel-Kellal). Mountain-Faya. River-Freija (J is silent)

Culture Name: Sho No Kha
Starting Location: The ruins of To No Rah are south south east of the Collegium, in the foothills of the south side of the northern valley. Let me know if you need a map.
Society: After the destruction of To No Rah, the fledgling troll society that once existed has completely fractured. Refugees from a massive disaster, the trolls scattered to the four corners of their land. In their desperation, they took in refugees from a dozen other places as well. Sho No Kha is not so much a troll society as a society of half a dozen different races, with the shared trait of having been ostracized. In addition, many of the members of the society are descended from or are in fact captives from neighboring peoples. With the destruction of To No Rah, the most imminent threat facing troll society was their low population. As a result, trolls largely abandoned the traditional blood feuds between their own people (though they had already had fairly low kill counts), replacing them with a system of "counting coup". Their attacks on other cultures are largely limited to seizing people and property, and they avoid pitched battle at all costs, both to avoid losing precious lives, and because troll society tends to see the waging of indiscriminate warfare as immoral. Most trolls, to avoid the rays of the sun, live in caverns and avoid going outside unless it is night, though the non-troll elements of the Sho No Kha have been known to conduct their affairs in daylight. Troll society is not intrinsically violent, and will often attempt to trade with its neighbors. However, they have essentially no moral qualms about murder or cannibalism, both of which have put them on shaky footing with their neighbors.
Religion: The trolls do not belief in such nonsense as Gods or demons. There is the universe, and the foremost principles are emergent from it. These principles are the oldest of Troll society, and they are codified in oral history. Most of them regard the idea of religious overlords to be fairly insulting. Trolls are not fond of the stereotypes of themselves as brutish or dumb.
Mythos: In short: The trolls once dwelt in the enlightened city of To No Rah, a place of peace and power and immense constructions. For a hundred years, it was the jewel of their world, even though they had constant, violent altercations with their neighbors due to various philosophical differences. Then, a ritual by the troll mage Koh Ba Kha obliterated the city, sending the trolls to flight. The petrified remnants of trolls, touched by sunlight, still litter the plains near the city. The long version is here.
Economy: A nomadic people, mostly hunters and gatherers, though raiding and stealing from neighboring societies generates much of the revenue as well.
Country Names: No Rah, No Khai, No She, No Mah
Person Names: Si Ro Van, A Ro Kho, Mi Ro Shah, So Ro Shah, Pah Ro Shih (male and female, common name pool; some newcomers to the society still use their birth names from neighboring lands)
Place Names: No Kha (the land of the trolls), To No Rah (the ruined city), Mag Tok Hih (the southern mountains), Va Khe Sooh (the river)

Culture Name: Talakron Phaet (Elves of the Frozen Rock)

Starting Location: Northern mountain range

Society: The settlements of the Talakron Phaet are governed by a council of four elves. Three represent the highest mystical arts (Geology, Meteorology and Divination) and are traditionally magically gifted. The fourth represents the mundane and never has magical talent. Decisions are usually made solely by the member with jurisdiction over the decision. In the event of complex matters the member representing the mundane will decide unless the mystics unanimously back a different solution.
Talakron Phaet society is built on a complex foundation of familial obligation. The level of obligation is determined by the most recent common ancestor, number of common ancestors of equal distance and gender of intervening ancestors (female preference). For most families this is recorded back three generations but prestigious families may remember their (purported) ancestors back to the founding of Talakron Naal. For the most part mundane professions run in families but those rare few that display mystical aptitude are apprenticed to a mage.
Unusually the Talakron Phaet have little in the way of dedicated warriors. They have no interest in raiding or making war with their neighbours, and the ice and mountains are the best defence for their own lands.

Religion: The Talakron Phaet believe they were betrayed by their old gods, referring to them only as the Cursed Lords. A damnatio memoriae placed upon the Cursed Lords shortly after the founding of Talakron Naal has eradicated knowledge of their rituals and even their names from the general populace, possibly to the point that the only ones with any knowledge of the Cursed Lords are those charged with enforcing the edict. Now the elves of the mountains recognise few gods, only two of them their own. Talan, Lord of the Stone, is worshipped as the patron of the Talakron Phaet, allowing them into his embrace when he revealed the cavern that became Talakron Naal.
Makrov is the fickle goddess of the Ice Wind. By turns the saviour of the Talakron Phaet and the greatest danger to their survival. Makrov is neither worshipped nor revered by the elves of the mountains but she is respected and regular sacrifices are made to turn her fury from them or to direct it at those that would do harm to them.

Mythos:
Spoiler :
The Talakron Phaet do not tell a creation myth of the elves as it was forgotten with the Cursed Lords. Instead they sing of the time before the foundation of Talakron Naal.

The song tells that the elves once resided in a warm and peaceful land under the benevolent patronage of the gods. For an age the elves and the gods were at harmony and strife was unthinkable, until the Celestial Battle came.
The war began between the gods, none remember the cause, and at first the elves were oblivious. But the fickle deities soon began to use their worshippers as weapons. Speaking to their followers the gods inspired in them a concept novel to the elves - violence.

The contagion spread quickly as the devoted followers of one god destroyed the holy places of their masters enemies, only for their own to be razed in return. In the midst of all this some held to the ancient principles of harmony, attempting to mediate a peace. For their efforts all turned upon them.

Forced by circumstances the mediators took up arms to defend themselves, but their numbers were small and their enemies many so with heavy heart they were forced to abandon their once beautiful land. The journey was long and the fanatics harried their trail, forcing them into the mountains to the north. Many fell victim to the ice and rock but they pressed on, urged by a vision from their Diviner that at the end of their journey would be a new home of peace and beauty. Eventually even that hope failed when their supplies were all but exhausted and half their number dead.

Just when all hope was lost Berreth, the greatest geomancer of the time, collapsed with a scream. Few stopped to help, so many had been left behind. An old woman helped him back to his feet. "Tell them to stop," he whispered to her, "here is where our new home shall be."

His words were greeted with rueful laughter but some stopped nonetheless. He placed his hand on a frozen cliff and spoke words of power. A terrible cracking followed as the cliff split as if hewn by an axe, sending the elves scattering.

When it was clear there would be no landslide or avalanche they returned to the cliff. The old geomancer was prone in the snow next to a new tunnel into the mountainside. The old woman helped him set up "through there is our new home, the Heart of the Frozen Rock" he said before he died, his last vital energies given to save his people.

The surviving elves went into the tunnel, discovering a vast cavern. A cave river flowed through it, filled with blind fish and lichen grew on the damp rocks by the river. Although the food was meagre the shelter was good and allowed the elves to survive. In accordance with the geomancer's last breath the cavern was named Talakron Naal, the Heart of the Frozen Rock, and became home for the elves who called themselves Talakron Phaet, People of the Frozen Rock.

Economy: Farming is hard in the realms of the mountain elves, but that is not to say impossible. Hardy grasses and small orchards of fruiting shrubs are grown in sheltered areas, providing cereals, fruit and nuts.
The farms of course attract wildlife, as they are the most concentrated food source in the region, but are small enough that it is profitable to fully defend them. This makes trapping an important economic activity. All fields and orchards, and many locations in the wild, are heavily trapped with snares and are regularly patrolled to collect the wildlife harvest for fur and meat.
Although farming and trapping are the main food sources for the mountain elves, hunting still has its place. The elves learn to use sling and spear at a young age to defend fields and orchards from birds and grazers to large for the traps. When they mature these skills are used to hunt larger animals.

Inside the caves mining is the main industry, both to produce resources such as metals and asbestos, and to expand available space. As smithing is yet to develop metal tools are not available for mining so the task is accomplished by heating the rock with fire before rapidly cooling with water to crack the rock and weaken it sufficiently to break it up with stone tools.
Small scale cultivation of lichen occurs for its value as a delicacy and for religious purposes. A more recent development is fungiculture which has begun in out of the way sections of the cavern but is increasingly being seen as an efficient way to get food.
Fishing in the cave river was once an important activity but as the fish stock has declined and more organised agricultural activity has grown it is no longer viable at the same level. Nonetheless cave fish are still considered a delicacy so low level fishing continues.
Major secondary industries are the clothing - primarily furriers although there is some weaving of wool from long haired animals or mined asbestos, stone working (used to produce most day to day items), smithing and pottery (a much smaller industry than other societies of a similar level of advancement due to the fact the raw materials are mostly in lake or river beds so gathering them is a risky proposition in the frozen climate - pottery is therefore mostly used to produce goods that are difficult or impossible to create through stone working).

Country Names: Talakron Naal (main settlement), Olorest, Metregal, Inmust, Hol
Person Names:
Male - Frenek, Jiltrist, Noranek, Destret, Vilwin, Selren, Potrek, Wrovan
Female - Jistraiel, Nemehe, Gollascie, Hanraiel, Petrem, Kontahe, Felre, Yenereh
Place Names: Kastet, Jerelem, Irnatt, Falden, Kassen, Jeredek

Don't touch that dial, LENES will be right back after these messages from our sponsors.

I am going to give everyone the next 48 hrs (roughly until Sunday evening) to add to or revise their backgrounds as indicated by my post earlier before I begin work on update zero. Getting update zero done will probably span across the next week, but once it is posted I anticipate work on the NES to continue at a much faster pace. Failing that, you can all tar and feather me as you have done to Crezth and azale. :p

I have to get all my data back onto my computer and then I can post my revised Ogyr stuff.

I dunno how long that will take.

Sorry about being late, LoE and Thlayli. Kinda busy with mid terms right now.

Spoiler Saga of the Would be King :
The Would-Be-King of Mal​

The Silver-Haired Child runs through the forest. A robe, richly bright-embroidered, has slipped off one skinny shoulder.

A mother's voice calls: not patient nor urgent. The child attends this with the same interest as he sees the bush, the flower, and the fascinating rustling of the grass. He tears off a moist leaf from a tree and toss it into the air. It blows madly about, blown upwards again and again and again as the child dances back and forth.

The mother's voice interrupts his little game. The child spins once more and dashes towards dinner.

The leaf flutters about in the air, but there is no wind. It circles a tree and rises to the highest branch and clings there. It seems to bend this way and that; then it casts loose and drifts determinedly after its thoughtless maker.

The child does not understand the power he wields. He does not understand the role he will play in history. The story of the Would Be King thus begins in the forest of Malich.

.................................................. .................................................. ............................

A simple wooden house in the forest. Heavy beams of wood frame the hall; it is dominated by a high table. At the head of the table, a tall figure with silver hair stands in intricately stitched robe.

A young boy at the side of the table frowns, and begins to ask the figure a question, but suddenly a hush falls across the room. The door opens and two well-armed men appears, carrying with them a bundle of cloth.

A guard, moved by the silence, unfolds the cloth. Eyes jerk, but there is still no sound. It is the flag of Malich, the city which banished the Would-Be-King and his mother nearly a decade ago. Eventually, the tall figure moves a hand again.

The embroidered symbols in the flag sparkle, glow, and slowly vanish from the cloth. It is simply a gesture; it is nothing.

The Guardsmen of the Empire nods and stands apart as the silver-haired figure walks out of the door. The Emperor will be pleased to know that yet another has pledged himself in his service.

.................................................. .................................................. .................................

In a darkend library, someone walks alone. The tall shelves are crowded, but the rows of titles fade into shadows. Only the desk is illuminated. A map is spread upon it. The pen, moving across its face, annotates and speculates. A single window to the side of the desk reveals a sprawling city-the Seat of the Empire.

Nearly half the map is tinted red. Along the border, marks and notations cluster like wasps. Those marks and notations for another person-the silver haired figure is merely borrowing the map for another purpose.

An officer enters. He holds a pale cylinder, the length of a tall man's finger. He places it on the desk; he bows; he turns and leaves. At no point do his eyes rise from the floor.

The cylinder proves to be a length of parchment. The tall figure reads it once. Then the pen is taken up once again. The granary stockpile within the Empire was running low. He draws in the name of the Wind in the seas between the Empire and the province of Mal.

Hundreds of miles away, the Wind stirs from slumber. It only knows and has one purpose: to make certain that the little wooden beings from the banks of the rivers reach a great city safely and as quickly as possible.

The silver haired figure leans back from the map, satisfied with his work. He is saving and improving lives.

.................................................. .................................................. ...................

The Silver Haired Figure frowns upon the message in the parchment before turning his attention to the notations and speculations stenciled at the borders. Erngrym required 5000 more men to shore up defenses and launch counterattacks against the hated elven foes. Yet the Silver haired figure knew that any army that he broke off to send to war would most likely be slaughtered; the province that the soldiers were drafted from most likely left defenseless against the barbaric hordes that always loom.

He sighs and draws in a glyph of the Wind in the seas. There is nothing that can be done. The Empire must be victorious against the elves. The Gods must be thrown down. He takes solace on the Shining City out the window. History will eventually vindicate their works.

A woman stands in the town square, clearly visible from the window. She shouts curses and points at the great palace, pointing upwards and to his tower. The crowd disperses around her. But the guards are coming, pushing through the crowd. In moments, the ragged woman is cleared from sight.

For a moment, the Silver haired Figure is satisfied. Not, perhaps, pleased, but satisfied enough. He turns back to his work on the table. If the Emperor wishes him to help win the war, then he shall.

.................................................. .................................................. ....................................

The Silver-Haired figure watches in disbelief as the the Emperor's Statue is erected in the town square. As he walks through the city, he notices that more and more people have took to wearing a small stone figure of Tyrarth around their neck, as if wearing a talisman. Many did believe it to be one too.

He walks past a small temple-that is the only way he could describe the structure, devoted entirely to the Emperor. A regal statue in gold decorates the alterpiece, around which fervent priests preach the evils of all other gods and praise the virtues of the Emperor.

The Silver-Haired Figure is shaken. Has he helped a dragon ascend to Godhood? Why has the Emperor not stopped this? Filled with doubt, the silver haired figure vanishes into the streets of the Grand City. Just one face among many, at least until he returns to his study.

.................................................. .................................................. ...................................

The Doom has come to the city. The Emperor is dead or missing. Only the gods know what has happened to Erngrym. Whereas a hundred mage served the Emperor before, now only a handful remains alive.

On a ship away from the burning wreck of the Imperial City, the Would-Be-King vows to not allow the Empire break apart with the death of the Emperor. Even though madness overtook Tyrarth, his will: his ideology, needed to continue. He unscrolls the map of the Empire on the desk and begins to speculate and annotate. The few knight-commanders that survived worriedly looks over his shoulders to see the magelord's plans. They cannot fathom how the Would-be-King seeks to reconquer the Empire.

Elsewhere, the other surviving mages have very similar plans. All of them seeks to claim the Empire for themselves. None of them care about the plight of the border states.

.................................................. .................................................. ................................

The Would-Be-King made no sign of acknowledging anyone's presence as the guards dragged in a beaten and bloodied figure into his tent. The bloodied figure lacked any teeth: they have been beaten out of his mouth by a mace: the common fate of captured mages.

The trembling bloody figure carried no weapons, although the guards dragging him looked as though he could pull it out of a any puddle if he wished to. The figure reached into his robe and pulled out a cracked wooden scepter with the figure of a dragon atop it. Once, it could have been a symbol of office. Now, it was simply junk.

The Would-be-King made the barest effort to glance upon the wooden scepter and the trembling figure at his feet. In an instant, both were set alight. The screams lasted only for a second before only things left of them were ash and embers.

The guards bowed and left the tent. Further interruptions for the rest of that day were unlikely, and the Would-be-King needed some time to think. In retrospect, the mistake in his strategram that cost him 4 company of soldiers was obvious. However, now one of his rivals were dead and his armies had pledged their allegiances to him. He planned to make use of them all.

.................................................. .................................................. ................................

All heads turned upwards into the sky. There hovered a silver-haired figure, terrible to behold, a great stormcloud gathering around him. The mailed figures drop their weapons. From the lowliest of the skirmishers to the highest commanders, they all drop their weapons and flee. They cannot hope to best the Magelord in combat, especially not the Would-be-King, whose cruelty was known even to the Horselords of the Steppes and the Dwarves of the North.

But it is too late for these men, for the Would-be-King's terrible wrath had already stirred. The silver-haired figure watched their life force separate into strands. He regards the scene with interest until the last tendril dissipated, noting the patterns beyond the overlay of animal pain and terror. Further experiment would be necessary, he notes.

He returns to the city of Malich with a thought. He plans to make the city into a new capital of a new Empire. After that display of power, further interruptions from his rivals would be unlikely for some time. He would make good use of this time.

........................................................................................................................................

The silver haired figure watched as the city in the distance burned. The city that had sworn its loyalty to his last remaining rival-he ordered it burnt to the ground. Its inhabitants slaughtered. He let out a sigh as the column of smoke rose far into the sky. Peace had finally returned. The Empire was preserved. No other mages existed that could challenge his rule-he's made sure of that.

There was a saying going around. "I was born in an Empire and I died in a Kingdom." There was some truth to this matter. He failed to preserve the border provinces-he had no authority that far out of the Empire. He was still only one man. But now, that was over. With the rivals gone and the civil war ended, he could turn his focus onto other, more important, matters.

When he returned to Malich, the people cheered in the street-perhaps more out of fear of what he would do if they did not rather than adoration. A new library, dedicated entirely to him and filled with books plundered from the ruined Empire, now ruled by arcane might, was shown. As he listened to the adoration of the people and the Wordsmiths lay praise to him in the steps of the Great Library, a mere glorified temple with books, the Silver Haired Figure felt doubt for the first time in 10 years.

Was this not the path that the old Dragon Emperor had passed through? Was he and the Silver Haired Figure nothing but some piece in a game that Gods played, destined to repeat the cycle of destruction and chaos? Had he killed those people-to pursue Tyrarth's ideology of stopping the worship of impotent gods-for nothing?

It couldn't be.

........................................................................................................................................

The night before the coronation, plagued by guilt, the Silver-Haired figure walks into the library. His statues glared menacingly as he wordlessly passed through the stacks of books. In the end, nobody had gotten it.

Sometimes, things just reverted. Things reverted and everything felt so horribly different. Perhaps his head was twisted by all the evils that he committed.

Or maybe he remained the same and the world was just twisted around him. How could you even tell?

He found the book of Names in the deepest recess of the library and drew a magic circle around him. As he chanted out the spell and felt his consciousness slip away, fading into a 2 dimensional figure and slipping into the Book, his final thought was that it never mattered.

.......................................................................................................................................

Without its ruler, and with nobody left to take his place, the Empire of Men and Dragons crumbled into nothingness.

To speak of the Would-be-King's name is still a taboo among much of Mal and other parts of the Empire. To this day, people say that the Great Book of Names hidden in the library of Mal still contains the Name of the King-so powerful that it will appear on the page no matter how one opens the book.

The small cult devoted to the Would-be-King and the Dragon Emperor still maintains that these two figures would one day return to reclaim their Empire.

Culture Name: Malich Humans

Starting Location: The mouth of that big river around the Mediterranean-like area.

Society: The Malich people are an egalitarian society with heavy emphasis on trade and learning. Recent events surrounding the province means that the Malic-people are without any kind of kings. Instead, the people of the great City of Malich votes a Tyrant into office to hold the position until death

Outside the city of Malich (placed at the mouth of the river), minor independent kingdoms and tribes have formed, some of them building smaller cities of their own.

Names and words hold almost religious significance to the people of Malich, who almost obsessively label everything that they produce. Newborns are generally not named until they are 8 years of age, at which point they are given a name by the Wordsmiths of Mal.

Religion: Much of the religion formerly dedicated to the Creator Mal, the Eternal Sun, has been suppressed by the Empire and the Would-Be-King. As a result, Malich people are more philosophical than religious. However, most Malichi follow several religious customs that are distinct from other cultures.

While there are no priests or any person with clear religious authority in Malich culture, people from other cultures would observe that learned man/scholars seem to fill many of the roles that priests and shamans would fulfill in others. These scholars usually never claim direct communion with any spirits or gods, but is learned in ancient customs and tales.

People in Malichi culture do not receive name until the age of eight, at which point the Wordsmiths determine the child's name from the names of famous ancestors. If a person accomplishes great things in his life, he has a chance to abandon the name that the Wordsmiths had given them and take another that he devised himself. To be the First of his Name is a great honor among the people of Malich.

For the Malich people, there is no afterlife. They believe themselves to be trapped in a neverending cycle of reincarnations. However, they believe that the spirits of the strong would become stars in order to watch over his descendants. Many Malich Scholars devoted themselves to the study of the stars-and what messages they send to the people.

Mythos:

Economy: The City of Malich engages in trading and creating arts and crafts, along with ship building. The independent Malich people living in the province or Malichi Kingdoms near the Great city engages in farming and trading with the city of Malich to get luxury items and other things that they need.

Country Names: Elrich. Lavinum. Laudas. Tralich.

Person Names:

Abida

Bachir

Gibril

Moktar

Zohra

Place Names: Elrich.

Heaven's Fall.

The Sea of Tears.

River of Qod.

@filli noctus, your submission looks fine in principle but could use some refining. I would encourage you to fill out the rest of the template as a start, and tweak here and there. Specifically, in most cases interracial contact is rare or non-existent and for intents and purposes the beginning of the NES is almost analogous to the Agricultural Revolution. Future generations will look back on cultures existing at the beginning as the earliest civilizations and interracial contact and settlement is exceedingly rare at this point. Otherwise, more information about important individuals in your culture's legendary history would be nice, but the core is good.

My attempt at reworking the Ogyr to sit with the lore. Let me know what you guys think/if there's any issue with my lore.

Culture Name: the Ogyr Orcs

Starting Location: Around the volcano in big mountain valley near the river on the southern half of the map.

Society: The Ogyr are a semi-nomadic culture of Orcs, who wander the Ogyr River valley and the surrounding mountains in a nomadic hunting existence during the winter months and settle to farm during the summer. Clans are organised along patrilineal lines, with the eldest male Orc in the clan being the Clan Elder (and normally ancestor of the other clan members). The Elder, advised by the other elderly Clan members (both male and female), is responsible for instructing other members of the Clan where to go, how to follow the trails that their ancestors travelled while roaming, and settling inter-clan disputes.

During the summer and the autumn, the Ogyr hunt throughout the mountains. During this time they live in large yurts which they pack up and take with them every week or so when they move on. As winter approaches, they begin hoarding food in greater numbers before moving down to the river valley and planting crops. During this time their yurts become permanent. The Ogyr grow the crops and harvest them in the early spring, saving a great deal for the later summer months to supplement their diets. It is during the winter and Spring that the Ogyr Great Hunts are most frequent.

The Ogyr domesticate rhinoceroses, using them for their milk, their meat, and as beasts of burden. Many members of the tribe ride rhinoceroses while migrating, as well as in combat. War-rhinos are prized by the Ogyr, and are frequently studded out to other clans to breed more.

Once every five years all the Ogyr clans gather at the Morn-e Tarmysal, the Mountain that Smokes (the gigantic volcano on the river valley) for the Ogyrmoot, where all the clans meet to trade and sort out interclan issues such as division of hunting lands and the settling of feuds. The Ogyrmoot is also the time of the greatest festival of the Ogyr culture, the Sacrifice ceremony at the peak of Morn-e Tarmysal.

Ogyr Orcs are monogamous, and marry for life. Each couple typically produces five to six children in their lifetimes, which are raised communally by the eldest female Ogyr of the clan. Ogyr children are regarded as the children of the Clan itself, rather than the parents.

The Ogyr particularly enjoy as a supplement to their hunting and agriculture the flesh of the other sentient races, which they call 'the Delicious races'. As such, Ogyr clans regularly gather together for 'Great Hunts', or raids on the villages other sentient races. Frequently the Ogyr descend on these villages and sate their hunger there and then, but at the same time many captives are often carried off to eat later. As such, they are widely regarded as savage barbarians by many other sentient races in the region.

Religion: The Ogyr worship their ancestors as their Tribal Totem. It is believed that after the Death of Sheshu, the Ogyr creation deity, the spirits of the Ogyr attained divine qualities and thus can act beyond the confines of their eternal rest on Morn-e Tarmysal. To this day, the spirits of all the Ogyr that have passed still watch over their Clan, guiding them and protecting them from harm. The remaining Ogyr offer small sacrifices and libations to their Ancestors every spring during the Harvest Festival, as well as before every Great Hunt, and as directed by their Shaman in times of crisis.

All Ogyr clans have as their unique tribal totem the very first member of their Clan, who they believe is descended from Amun, the first Ogyr. Normally, a Shaman is responsible for interceding between the Tribe and the Prime Ancestor, and will carry the supposed skull of the Ancestor on a pole. This staff (the Pal-o Manzadrum, or Staff of the Prime Ancestor) is a sacred object to the Ogyr Clan, and the entire tribe must go to any lengths in order to get it back above all else.

The Shaman will sometimes go into a trance state when he asks the Prime Ancestor and the other Ancestors for advice. It is believed that in this state he speaks with the words of the Ancestors themselves, and thus his advice is the advice of the Prime Ancestor.

Once every five years, all the Ogyr gather at Morn-e Tarmysal for the Ogyrmoot. This Ogyrmoot includes the most holy ceremony in the Ogyr pantheon, the Great Thanksgiving. The Ogyr sacrifice 128 sentient prisoners (powers of two being regarded as holier than other numbers in Ogyr mathematics) to all their Spirits of every clan as thanksgiving for the aid that the Ancestor spirits provide the Ogyr today. The sacrifice evokes the sacrifice of Sheshu to allow the Ogyr to breed and live free, as well as being a significant sacrifice for the Ogyr themselves (128 prisoners is good eating, after all.) The prisoners are sacrificed by hurling them into the smoking mouth of Morn-e Tarmysal, where it is believed that the spirits inside devour them all.

Mythos

Spoiler :

The Origin Story of the Ogyr

"Let me tell you, wee younglings, of the origins of the Ogyr."

"In the beginning, there was only the Cosmic Grub. The Grub was ravenous, and in its hunger it began to eat itself. From its juices flowed the seas, and its flesh became the land, and its skeleton supports the land as it bites its own tail. Its spines became the mountains, and its curves became the valleys, and so it was that all became as it is now."

"But upon its carapace two of its teeth broke, and from its flesh sprang Sheshu and Ka-u. Sheshu and Ka-u were brothers, and great friends, and were wise and strong, for that is their names - Wisdom and Strength. They were the First Walkers, the First Beings to walk upon this Land. The First Walkers looked upon the Flesh and saw it was barren, and forged the trees and flowers from the Earth. And so it was that the Land was flowered."

"But Sheshu and Ka-u now grew hungry, and they did not desire to eat the flowers, for despite their form they tasted bitter. So they made from the Flesh the beasts of the Land, and the beasts of the Sea, and the beasts of the Air, and dined upon them until they grew full."

"Ka-u was strong, but he was not wise. He was quarrelsome, and angry. Ka-u was envious of Sheshu's wisdom, and desired to make quarrel with him."
"Sheshu," said Ka-u one day, "I question your wisdom. Is it not wise to make only one form, slow and fat, so that we may dine upon it without difficulty?"
"Ka-u," said Sheshu, "I think not. Would we not ourselves grow slow and fat, and if we had no test of our skills?"
"I think you yourself have grown fat and slow, for it is I who did all the hunting today," said Ka-u, "And I think that it was just as our mother, the Cosmic Grub, was when you killed her."
"I take offense!" cried Sheshu. "For not only am I strong and fit, but yours was the first fang that pierced our mother!"
And Ka-u grew enraged by this, and drew his spear, and cried that he would smite Sheshu where he stood for this insult. And Sheshu was wise and saw that he could not overcome Ka-u, and so he fled to the Forn-e Pyran, the Sky Pillar, the highest mountain of the earth where he was hidden."

"Now Sheshu was wise, as that was his name, and he knew that he could not overcome the strength of Ka-u alone. So he ruminated atop the Pillar for a hundred cycles of the sun, as Ka-u searched for him. Ka-u was wise, and heard the spirits of the beasts call to him, and thought of how he could overcome his brother. Suddenly, the idea came to him. Sheshu used his wisdom to summon to him the spirits of the beasts, and of the flowers, and of the birds, and all those beings that had died, for their spirits did still linger around the earth at that time. And using these spirits, he bound them into his spear, and made the greatest weapon the Land has ever known, the Kundar-him, or the Spiritspear. With this weapon, Sheshu knew that he could smite Ka-u."

"Ka-u had heard the spirits gathering, and knew that Sheshu was near. So he climbed the Pillar and saw Sheshu ready. With a mighty cry, Ka-u hurled the pillar at Sheshu, but Sheshu was swift and moved. Sheshu struck at Ka-u with the Spiritspear, but Ka-u was yet swifter and the Spiritspear merely struck the ground."

"Sheshu was dismayed at first, but then, all the Spirits of every being that had ever lived was poured into the Sky Pillar. The mountain came afire, and burned with great might such that Ka-u was hurled into the sky to never been seen again. And the Sky Pillar became the Bro-e Tarmysal, the Mountain that Smokes Eternally. And since then so many spirits were gathered there that the spirits of all that ever lives is drawn to that Holy Place, and it is the resting place for all the beings of the land."

"So it was that Sheshu became the sole Deity, for Ka-u was never heard from again. And all was his, and there were none to quarrel with him."

"Now Sheshu was sated and wanted not. But still he was lonely, and desired someone to speak with. So he forged from the Earth the first Orc, the Great Amun, and the first Rhinoceros for him to ride, and breathed into Amun the breath of Will and Strength, so that Amun would have these. And Amun and Sheshu were in good company, and roamed the Earth, naming the beasts and the plants and feasting on those beasts that were wholesome."

"One day, Amun was out walking, and grew hungry. So he rode his rhinoceros, and caught many animals, but the earth was then plentiful, so he tossed the carcasses where he ate. From these carcasses spawned the other races of the Earth, the Men and the Elves, and the Dwarves, and all the other races. And Amun was pleased with this, for all these races were wholesome to feast upon, and he gorged himself for a thousand years more."

"However, the other races grew faster than he could eat them, and soon the land risked despoliation. Amun spoke to the First Walker, and said unto him, "The delicious races spawn faster than I may, and I cannot eat them all. Soon they risk destruction by their own numbers, and then they will all starve. The First Walker took pity upon Amun, and said to him, "I shall cause my spirit to merge with yours, so that you may too create and make. I shall make for you an Orcess, who is wise and beautiful and kind, and you shall make love with her, and thus create your children." And Sheshu made for Amun the Orcess Amut, and she was wise and kind and beautiful, and so Amun was content.

"And so Amun bred, and so did his children, and his children's children, and the Ogyr became as a great tribe. And they learned the ways of fire, and the ways of metal, and the ways of the hunt, and they made the Broghyr Mountains their home, and feasted on the flesh of the delicious races. But all this is another story, younglings."

Economy

The Ogyr generally live by subsistence farming and hunting. During the winter, they grow staple crops as well as various fruits, supplemented by the meat of the delicious races. In the summer, they continue to eat these staple crops as well as all the meat they can catch. The Ogyr engage in limited trade with other races, exchanging the various foodstuffs of the mountains for high quality pottery and metal tools. The Ogyr domesticated crops are mostly barley and rye, though they also domesticate peas, turnips, carrots, onions, garlic, and cabbages.

The Ogyr do engage in metal work, though this is almost exclusively for tools and weapons. The Ogyr lack the metalworking skills to create armour, and metal ornamentation is usually deemed a waste of metals. Most ornamentation is usually traded for at the Ogyrmoot or from other races.

The Ogyr supplement their diet with rhinoceros meat and dairy products produced from the milk of the rhinoceros, such as cheeses and creams.

Country Names
Broghyr (name of the mountain chain that the Ogyr live in, lit. Ogyr-mounts)
Andar-e Tarmysal (the Land that Smokes)
Andar-e Coyela (the Land of Rhinoceroses)
Andar-e Grumm (the Land of Peas)
Bro-e Amunn (Mountain of the Prime One)
Brotenghyr (Tall Mountains)
Busandhyr (Empty Lands)
Andar-e Emran (Land of Sands)

Person Names

Ogyr children are first named after they survive their first two years. They are normally named after an attribute that the Clan hopes that they will grow up to be, or alternatively another attribute they possess deemed amusing or cute to the Clan. Ogyr names are mono-gendered - male and female Ogyr possess the same names.

Amun (Prime One)
Panamun (Favoured Child of the Prime One)
Panbroghyr (Favoured Child of the Broghyr Mountains)
Pankoyela (Favoured Child of the Rhinoceros)
Hun (Hunter)
Nemhun (Stealthy Hunter)
Katankoyela (Swift Rider of the Rhinoceros)
Katingting (Strong Metalworker. 'Tingting' is an onomatopoeic term for metalworking, named after the sound of beating a sword with a hammer)
Bar-e Grumm (Pea Eater)
Drobhar (Vast Eater. Lit. Big Mouth)
Panbariya (Favoured Child of the Barley)
Bar-e Humm (Man Eater)
Nemrim (Quiet Walker)
Sheshtar (Wise Shaman)
Pataramun (Favoured Shaman of the Prime One(
Sheshhun (Wise Hunter)
Sheshtingting (Wise metalworker)
Sheshkoyela (Wise Rhinoceros)

Place Names
The same as Country Names. The Ogyr are currently nomadic, and thus any country that forms would be based on geographic locations - the hunting range of the several clans that form the polity. Clans themselves do not have names per see, but are normally distinguished by their Ancestor, who typically has a normal Ogyr name.

Thus Bar-e Humm of the Pankoyela Clan may quarrel with Pankoyela of the Bar-e Humm Clan.

@filli noctus, your submission looks fine in principle but could use some refining. I would encourage you to fill out the rest of the template as a start, and tweak here and there. Specifically, in most cases interracial contact is rare or non-existent and for intents and purposes the beginning of the NES is almost analogous to the Agricultural Revolution. Future generations will look back on cultures existing at the beginning as the earliest civilizations and interracial contact and settlement is exceedingly rare at this point. Otherwise, more information about important individuals in your culture's legendary history would be nice, but the core is good.

Thanks. I've now filled out the names and rewritten the economy to remove the trade focus, work out a reasonable agricultural base and dial back the implied use of metals. Will flesh out historical figures later today.

Thanks. I've now filled out the names and rewritten the economy to remove the trade focus, work out a reasonable agricultural base and dial back the implied use of metals. Will flesh out historical figures later today.

Metals are fine. I suspect I should probably speak more clearly on the subject of technology in the OP, but for all intents and purposes you can assume that you have access to iron and the like and the ability to forge it into armor and weaponry.

Top Bottom