1492: Onwards to Glory (Sign Ups and OOC Discussion)

1. Spain
2. Austria
3. Hungary
4. China
5. Genoa

Re: advisor suggestions, did you want people who were, at this point in time, historically advisors to the throne in question or just prominent figures during this timeframe who could have been advisors to a royal court?

Both :)

1. Japan
2. China
3. France
4. Muscovy
5. Kalmar Union

Its weird being back in NESing...

Suggestions for Advisors.

Timurids:
On doing some reading about the region, I'm not really sure what you mean by 'Timurids'. The Timurid Empire collapsed in the 1460s. Persia was broken up into a group of feuding dynasties before they were united by the Safavids in 1506. I'm not sure if by Timurids you mean Khurasan (today north-eastern Iran and Afghanistan, capital Herat), which was ruled by the Timurid scion Sultan Husayn Mirza, but they don't appear on the map. Neither does Samarkand, which was still ruled by the Timurids. As such, I'm not 100% sure what the advisors should be.

Songhai:
Monarch: Askia the Great (full name Muhammad Ture)
Possible Advisors: Askia allied himself very closely to Malian scholars in Timbuktu. Among these were
Mahmud Kati - Nephew of Askia himself. Scholar of Islamic Law and history. Published Tarikh-al-Fattah, chronicle of Askia's reign (I think, having trouble finding data about it).
Ahmed Baba - Scholar of Islamic law.
Abdul-Rahman as-Sadi - Historian. Published Tarik ul-Sudan, or Chronicle of Africa.
Kanfari Omar - Brother of Askia. His commander in chief.
Muhammad al-Maghili - Scholar of islamic law. Organised the expulsion of the Jews from Tlemcen, was later picked up by Askia. al-Maghili was responsible for the conversion of the Songhai nobility to Islam.

Bohemia Hungary:
Monarch: Vladislaus II Jagellion
Possible Advisors:
Tamas Bakocz: Archbishop and statesmen. Was largely responsible for Bohemia-Hungary's foreign policy during this period. Also became Cardinal, attempted to run for Pope but was defeated.
Stephen Zapolya: Prominent nobleman. No idea what he actually did but everything I find mentions him as existing.
John Bornemissza: Prominent nobleman. Can't find anything about him other than that he was entrusted with Vladislaus' young son Louis after Vlad died, so at a guess he was some kind of statesman?
George of Brandenburg: See above.

England:
Monarch: Henry VII Tudor
Possible Advisors:
Thomas Howard, Earl of Surrey: Treasurer to Henry. Part of his 'Executive Triumvirate' of his closest advisors.
Richard Foxe: Archbishop and Lord Privy Seal. Another member of the Executive Triumvirate.
William Warham, Archbishop of Canterbury: Archbishop of Canterbury and Chancellor to Henry. Member of the Executive Triumbirate.
John Morton: Cardinal, and a later Lord Chancellor. Noted for inventing Morton's Fork as a means of taxation - if the subject lived frugally, they clearly had great amounts of money saved up to pay increased taxes. If they lived extravagantly, they clearly have enough money to pay taxes with.

Venice:
'Monarch': Doge Augustino Barbarigo
Possible Advisors:
Antonio Grimani - Merchant, Commander-in-Chief of the Venetian navy. Pretty much useless. Later became Doge.
Gentile Bellini - Painter, famous portrait artist.

Sure, but which one? In terms of Timurid ruled states in 1492, there were actually quite a few. The biggest one at the time was Khorasan (ruled by Hussayn Mirza), but there was also Samarkand, Balkh, Ferghana, Hissar, and Kabul. All of these are independent states in name as well as in fact - Abu Sa'id Mirza explicitly split his kingdom among his sons.

Given you're playing as a single ruler, you can't really be all of them. At the time the most important Timurid splinter state was Khorasan, (Babur, who laid the framework for the Mughal Empire, only became Emir of Ferghana in 1495 and was driven out to Kabul before he began invading India).

None of these appear on the map, which is partly why I'm confused. There weren't any Timurid dynasty members in that blob in Persia in 1492 that the map has.

You don't get a single ruler claiming descendancy from the Timurids until about 1510, when the rest of the Timurid splinter states have been conquered by the Uzbeks except for Babar's kingdom in Kabul. I guess what I'm getting at is that calling a single player the Timurids in 1492 doesn't make a whole lot of sense. They'd have to be just the Shah of Khorasan or Samarkand or Kabul or something, but perhaps members of the wider Timurid dynasty (in European terms, the 'House of Timur'). Not vassals, not even allies, but part of the same family.

So yeah, if we have a specific playable state in the region I could probably find a great many possible advisers. Its just that you've got to have one. :p

Incidentally, I can find advisers for other countries if anybody wants, I'm incredibly bored right now.

Sure, but which one? In terms of Timurid ruled states in 1492, there were actually quite a few. The biggest one at the time was Khorasan (ruled by Hussayn Mirza), but there was also Samarkand, Balkh, Ferghana, Hissar, and Kabul. All of these are independent states in name as well as in fact - Abu Sa'id Mirza explicitly split his kingdom among his sons.

Given you're playing as a single ruler, you can't really be all of them. At the time the most important Timurid splinter state was Khorasan, (Babur, who laid the framework for the Mughal Empire, only became Emir of Ferghana in 1495 and was driven out to Kabul before he began invading India).

None of these appear on the map, which is partly why I'm confused. There weren't any Timurid dynasty members in that blob in Persia in 1492 that the map has.

You don't get a single ruler claiming descendancy from the Timurids until about 1510, when the rest of the Timurid splinter states have been conquered by the Uzbeks except for Babar's kingdom in Kabul. I guess what I'm getting at is that calling a single player the Timurids in 1492 doesn't make a whole lot of sense. They'd have to be just the Shah of Khorasan or Samarkand or Kabul or something, but perhaps members of the wider Timurid dynasty (in European terms, the 'House of Timur'). Not vassals, not even allies, but part of the same family.

So yeah, if we have a specific playable state in the region I could probably find a great many possible advisers. Its just that you've got to have one. :p

Incidentally, I can find advisers for other countries if anybody wants, I'm incredibly bored right now.

I see what you're saying, I'll get back to you on it :)

Incidentally, I'll be confirming countries probably after a week or so to give everyone plenty of time to check out the game, and to make switches accordingly. In the meantime, I'm making stats! :)

Spoiler :
Papal States
Alexander VI
Personal Treasury: 130,000
Prestige: 45
Initiative Points:
National Income-Expenses (Debt/Treasury): 220,000-113,000 (0/80,0000)
Army: 10 companies infantry, 4 companies horse
Navy: 3 Ships
Factions (Loyalty/Power):
Alexander VI (5/4)
Cardinals (4/3)
Italian Barons (1/3)
Peasants (1/0)
Advisers:
Cesare Borgia

Though I don't currently have the time to play this, I endorse it. Hopefully it's part of a Matthew McConaughey-esque renaissance for nuka's NESing reputation.

Or at least to be the historical NES the forum needs, if not the one it deserves right now.

Though I don't currently have the time to play this, I endorse it. Hopefully it's part of a Matthew McConaughey-esque renaissance for nuka's NESing reputation.

Or at least to be the historical NES the forum needs, if not the one it deserves right now.

rofl.

1. Vijayanagar
2. Delhi
3. Venice
4. Genoa
5. Mamluks

Edit:
-The Bahamani Sultanate was in the midst of disintegrating in 1492. Bijapur, Ahmadnagar, Berar, and Golconda were already de facto independent with their provincal governors in charge, and the Bahmani sultan himself was just kept around as a puppet of the governor of Bidar for another 30 years after this time. (It's somewhat understandable if you want to represent it as a single polity for simplicity's sake, as the post-Bahmani Deccan sultanates were still loosely aligned - especially against Vijayanagar - I don't believe it should not be a playable country however.)
-What are the green and yellow Central Indian states supposed to be? (Malwa?)
-What is "Gujat" :p
-You might find this helpful

Advisers during the reign of The Great Monogamous Hongzhi Emperor:

Wang Yangming; neo-confucian philosopher official, moonlights as a general
Liu Jin; trusted up-and-coming eunuch official

1. Vijayanagar
2. Delhi
3. Venice
4. Genoa
5. Mamluks

Edit:
-The Bahamani Sultanate was in the midst of disintegrating in 1492. Bijapur, Ahmadnagar, Berar, and Golconda were already de facto independent with their provincal governors in charge, and the Bahmani sultan himself was just kept around as a puppet of the governor of Bidar for another 30 years after this time. (It's somewhat understandable if you want to represent it as a single polity for simplicity's sake, as the post-Bahmani Deccan sultanates were still loosely aligned - especially against Vijayanagar - I don't believe it should not be a playable country however.)
-What are the green and yellow Central Indian states supposed to be? (Malwa?)
-What is "Gujat" :p
-You might find this helpful

@Bahamani, I honestly figured because the polities were so fractious, it would be easier to represent it 'united', though their Sultan will likely have '0' power (making it near unplayable). I may decide to make it NPC :) The other ones

-Malwa, Rajput, and Gondwana

-Gujarat :p

I do not know how many of the Indian States I will make available, aside from the very least of Delhi and Vijayanagar though aside from those two I have seen little interest in the subcontinent, though I'll open it up by request :)

Here are some more stats, constructive critiques and such are, as always, appreciated :)

Spoiler :

Name: France
King Charles VIII (b. 1470)/Valois
Heirs:
Personal Treasury: 49,000
Prestige: 50
Initiative Points: 3
National Income-Expenses (Debt/Treasury): 525,000-488,750 (0/23,000)
Army: 50 companies of infantry, 15 companies of cavalry
Navy: 6 ships
Charles VIII (5/3)
French Nobles (5/3)
Non Integrated Provinces (4/1)
Catholic Church (3/2)
Localized Parliaments (3/1)
Peasants (1/0)
Advisors:

Hungary (Bohemia and Croatia)
King Vladislaus II*/Jagiellon
Heir: John Albert [brother, King of Poland], Alexander [brother],
Personal Treasury: 500,000
Prestige: 35
Initiative Points:
National Income-Expenses (Debt/Treasury): 180,000-493,000 (0/60,000)
Army: 40 companies infantry, 30 companies horse
Navy: 6 Ships
Technology:
Vladislaus II (5/0)
Hungarian and Bohemian Nobles* (2/4)
Black Army (4/4)
Catholic Church (2/1)
Urban Interests (3/1)
Serfs (1/0)
Advisors:
Pál Kinizsi (Leader of the Black Army)
Notes: John Corvinus, pretender to Hungary
*this is not to say that the Hungarian and Bohemian Nobles are the same, but rather my attempt to show their significant power without splitting up the stats (instead of giving them each 2 power)

Poland-Lithuania
King John I Albert (b. 1459)/Jagiellon
Heir: Alexander (b. 1461) [brother] Vladislaus [brother, King of Hungary]
Personal Treasury: (75,000)
Prestige: 35
Initiative Points: 1
National Income-Expenses (Debt/Treasury): 250,000-165,000 (0/16,000)
Army: 15 companies infantry, 8 companies horse
Navy:
John I Albert (5/1)
Polish Nobility (2/3)
Alexander, Duke of Lithuania (3/4)
Catholic Church (3/2)
Catholic Polish Serfs (1/0)
Orthodox Serfs (0/0)
Ukrainian Serfs (0/0)
Advisors:
Friedrich Jagiellon (Bishop)

Name: Spain
Queen Isabella and King Ferdinand/Trastámara
Heirs:Isabella (b.1471), John (b. 1478), Joanna (b. 1479), Maria (b. 1482), Catherine (b. 1485)
Personal Treasury: 14,000
Prestige: 50
Initiative Points:2
National Income-Expenses (Debt/Treasury): 600,000-500,000 (0/18,000)
Army: 50 companies infantry, 15 companies cavalry
Navy: 6 Ships
King and Queen (5/2)
Lords of Castile (4/2)
Lords of Aragon (3/3)
Catholic Church (4/3)
Catholic Peasants (2/0)
Non Catholics (0/0)
Advisors:
Christopher Columbus (Explorer)

Makes sense. The Rajputs were also divided into like five states, but I'm presuming you know that and are operating under similar ideas.

Anywho, the only advisor for Vijayanagar that there is any real record of from around this time is Tuluva Narasa Nayaka, an extremely able general loyal to the royal family, and the one person who was in fact effectively running the day-to-day affairs of the country at this time, in the stead of the largely powerless crowned Emperor.

1. Austria
2. Bavaria
3. Venice
4. Hungary + Bohemia
5. Portugal

Makes sense. The Rajputs were also divided into like five states, but I'm presuming you know that and are operating under similar ideas.

Anywho, the only advisor for Vijayanagar that there is any real record of from around this time is Tuluva Narasa Nayaka, an extremely able general loyal to the royal family, and the one person who was in fact effectively running the day-to-day affairs of the country at this time, in the stead of the largely powerless crowned Emperor.

Yep :) In fact, he is his own 'faction' and is an adviser in the stats already :)

Does every state only get one advisor?

More advisors coming for when I get home. Any nations you particularly need doing?

Just general is fine :)

You can have up to 3 at a time (for now), the people I have are just the people already employed by the monarch (or republic!) :)

Melaka
Ayudhya
Saopha Sawlon Mohnyin
Inka
Great Ming

I changed up some of my choices on the first page, I dunno if you need to be informed or not.

Advisor suggestions:

Austria
Monarch: Frederick III (died 1493)
Advisors:
Prince Maximillian von Hapsburg (Son of Frederick. Ruled as co-ruler from 1483, due to Frederick's supposed infirmity. Later became Archduke and Emperor of the HRE after Frederick's death).
Eitel Frederick von Hohenzollern (close friend of Maximillian, assisted in the defeating rebellions in the Lowlands. Served Maximillian and thus Frederick as a judge during his co-rulership, in 1495 became first chief of the Empire's highest court, but that's a way off).

Bavaria
Monarch: Albrecht IV the Wise
Possible Advisors:
Heinrich von Absberg, Bishop of Landshut

Scotland
Monarch: James IV
Possible Advisors:
William Dunbar, (famous Scottish poet of the time. Was a part of James IV's court.)
Walter Kennedy (canon of Glasgow cathedral. Reportedly very influential at court.)
Gavin Douglas (poet, translator, and politician during the reign of James IV. Did a lot of foreign policy stuff, supposedly).

Top Bottom