Dwarf Fortress

Has anyone ever attempted a hermit challenge? I think it would be kind of neat and adventurous.

I tried quite a few before the z-axis change. It was far to much trouble trying to kill off the other dwarves than anything else.

So there you go. spring 1053. Now show me yours. ;)

Nice, but unorganized. I will play mine tonight and see what I can get going. I like my fortress looking good. :p

I usually make mine layered. They usually take the shape of a square with a plus sign in the middle of it (with the staircase in the middle of the plus sign).

One question, when are immigrants normally supposed to come?

I see an opportunity for learning! If there's any stone left unmined in Rheim's pictures, could you point it out to me?

All the black zone with little grey symbols scattered around is unmined and has potential for all kinds of stones, ores and gems.

Allright organizer, let's see some pictures. :p

Allright organizer, let's see some pictures. :p

I haven't even loaded it yet. I found this other location with like Magma, Kolbold Cave with like 30 of the suckers, and like iron, copper and platinum just sticking out of the mountain. Oh and cinnabar as well. :p

How often do you guys get strange moods? I've had three (including one possessed person) and it's only the third spring.

Also, fun story: one of the kids in my fort got killed by a pike, after going to the river for a drink, instead of the well, which was zoned for drinking and everything. Stupid kid...

Usualy one, maybe two a year.

And yes, you'll want ot watch out for children, they seem to soemtiems do rather stupid things, like get kidnapped by goblins or kobolds (and then raised to be their general).

Yeah, I've had an infant stolen...

Yeah, I've had an infant stolen...

You can fix this by making a zone for children. A nursery with war dogs chained at the only entrance. In the nursery you will lock the kids in with beds, toys, and booze. Possibly a well to go with it. They will be happy and you can let them out when they grow up.

Make the food storage in a room below so you can put a hatch over it and have dwarves bring in new supplies every so often from another locked door.

You can fix this by making a zone for children. A nursery with war dogs chained at the only entrance. In the nursery you will lock the kids in with beds, toys, and booze. Possibly a well to go with it. They will be happy and you can let them out when they grow up.

Make the food storage in a room below so you can put a hatch over it and have dwarves bring in new supplies every so often from another locked door.

No wonder you never see dwarve children in stories.

That's brilliant :king:

Wait, so does the hatch mean that the kids can get food from below without actually going there? Or am I not understanding this nursery concept quite correctly?

Wait, so does the hatch mean that the kids can get food from below without actually going there? Or am I not understanding this nursery concept quite correctly?

The hatch covers the downward stairs like a flat door. You can forbid passage to it while the room below is restocked so the kids never have a chance to escape the room.

If you want to make it high tech have air locks. Two Flood gates with two separate levers. So you open one and then close it, then open the next and walk out.

Also dropping wolves in with babies does not make them happy.

Top Bottom