Dwarf Fortress

Not really. You just have to jump into it and start playing around. The game has a massive learning curve, but once your over that it's pretty fun.

The wiki,at least the old one, had informatino abotu pretty much everything, the new one is still be filled in, but iI still recommend keeping a web browser up with the wiki search ready and loaded.

The new version permits variable starting styles. I have tried starting with:

Miner/Mason
Miner/Carpenter
Woodcutter
Grower/Mechanic
Metalcrafter/Weaponsmith
Woodburner
Furnace operator

I'll start producing weapons right off the bat. Fortress value rises quickly and I get immigrants sooner. Weapons also make excellent trade goods.

When there's nothing to dig for the miners they will switch to carpentry and masonry.

I started building but the game tells me my mouse should be able to click on things on the local map. It can't for some reason. I have to do it via arrow keys. And half the time I say to build something following the wiki's example the dwarfs won't build it. I say build, hit enter thinking thats what I should do since it doesn't say, then space to resume which again it doesn't say, and then nothing happens they just run around.

Soem buildings, especially workshops, can only be built by dwarves who have certain (I forget what they're called, let's just call them job tasks, like carpenty, mining, craftmaking, etc). Other structures require dwarves with the archetecture task to be enabled (masons will have this enabled by default). It is also highly recommended to turn off most or all hauling tasks for dwarves you want to focus on their work instead of hauling things.

They also have their own unique way of doing the jobs they need to do, which is often interrupted by them being scared of deer or any other wild animal, hunger, thirst, sleep, and breaks (although in the old version whenever a dwarf went on a break I made him into a recruit then switched back and he would go back to work).

And the game is almost entirely keyboard input.

Some buildings also require architecture profession. All dwarves seem to have it disabled for default.

I was following the wiki and they told me to start by building a down/upward stairway. The dwarves won't do it. I am doing exactly what they told me!

I want to play this because it is awesome and the whole concept is amazing. I just want them to apply easier to understand graphics. Right now it is really hard to understand what is going on.

How do I make a miner do the job? I designate the staircases it gives me no option to tell someone to do it.

All the assigned jobs go in to the job list. When someone with suitable profession has the time it will try to complete the job unless something prevents them. Miners also need picks to mine, so check they have them.

I want to play this because it is awesome and the whole concept is amazing. I just want them to apply easier to understand graphics. Right now it is really hard to understand what is going on.

I don't think the graphics could be any easier to understand with a game of this complexity. Sure, there's a little discrepancy between Elves and Elephants, but hitting v will clear that up. Plus you usually don't see herds of elves, just caravans, unless you manage to piss off the elves.

Once you start to get the basics of the game the symbols start to make sense, and with a little imagination, the graphics become far better than any other game, IMO. I don't think I've seen a more epic battle scene in a game, in very recent memory, than my Axedwarf protecting my trade depot from invading rhesus macaques.

I just had a weird bug happen. My fortress entrance is a tunnel in a low sand hill. The trade depot is inside the tunnel, next to the downwards stairway. A human caravan arrived with their wagons and one of the wagons went on the hill instead of coming in through the tunnel entrance. A while later the wagon appeared on the depot. It had moved through the tunnel ceiling to the trade depot.

Colors are a much quicker way of determining a dwarf's class than difference in sprites. It takes much less effort to determine some thing's color than figuring out if that weapon is a sword or an axe. And an all red dwarf right next to an all yellow dwarf would look really funny with sprites.

Colors are a much quicker way of determining a dwarf's class than difference in sprites. It takes much less effort to determine some thing's color than figuring out if that weapon is a sword or an axe. And an all red dwarf right next to an all yellow dwarf would look really funny with sprites.

I might agree if I can ever figure out what is going on.

I just had a weird bug happen. My fortress entrance is a tunnel in a low sand hill. The trade depot is inside the tunnel, next to the downwards stairway. A human caravan arrived with their wagons and one of the wagons went on the hill instead of coming in through the tunnel entrance. A while later the wagon appeared on the depot. It had moved through the tunnel ceiling to the trade depot.

Yeah other peopel on another forum are having that problem, one of them is worried if other things like a pesky dragon that's hanging out near his fort can use that route.

I finally got things going. Learning a lot. The "you first fortress guide" is not as good as the new detailed one with hundreds of pictures. For one the old guide never told me I have to double hit enter to build things. But now I am digging a second fortress after having the first one flood on purpose just to see how to do some things. Maybe this one can survive the first winter.

Heh. The outpost liaison went insane. His meeting with my expedition leader got interrupted, and now he is running around babbling in the third floor staircase.

I finally got things going. Learning a lot. The "you first fortress guide" is not as good as the new detailed one with hundreds of pictures. For one the old guide never told me I have to double hit enter to build things. But now I am digging a second fortress after having the first one flood on purpose just to see how to do some things. Maybe this one can survive the first winter.

Where can I find this new one?

Top Bottom