Final Frontier

I realized after reading several other threads part of the reason I never could get my military city up to speed was the extremely fast rate of research advancement... with the slower tech speed he's adding in the next patch it should be more smoothly balanced between producing buildings and researching new types of buildings.

If you don't want to wait it's pretty easy to impliment a quick fix that has very good results, I've been running a modified version since I won my first game of FF :)

Just copy CIV4GameSpeedInfo.xml from the BTS assests into your final frontier assests/xml/gameinfo folder (or, preferably a duplicate of the FF mod folder with your own name and appropraitely edited ini file). Anyway, in that file you'll see some modifiers for the various game speeds and you can adjust them as needed. To slow down the tech rate you just need to find the following value and increase it:

<iResearchPercent>xxx</iResearchPercent>

'xxx' will be different depending on the game speed, marathon for example has a default of 300. By increasing the value for all speeds by 30% the flow through the tech tree is at a much better pace (for me anyway). If, like me you want to also see more ships in space you can change iTrainPercent while you're in there. I dropped that by 10% for all speeds and for my own tastes it works much better as I can build more ships between technology breakthroughs that render my entire fleet obsolete. iTrainPercent only affects unit production, not buildings or tile improvements.

Stealth ship works effectively as a spy (although NOT "espionage" as it has been introduced (reintroduced? in BtS)

WINNING key is having stealth ships start destroying warp lanes/roads and construction ships in a civ you are preparing to attack to limit the AI's ability to move to defend it's planets

apparently that's not part of this game but come to think about it...

in the future years that we're playing in FF, perhaps modern technology surpasses currently defined existing "espionage" activities?

or perhaps not.

no matter - it's a fun game FULL of different strategies and tactics

apparently that's not part of this game but come to think about it...

in the future years that we're playing in FF, perhaps modern technology surpasses currently defined existing "espionage" activities?

or perhaps not.

no matter - it's a fun game FULL of different strategies and tactics

There is no substitute for Human intelligence, and a robot can't carry out sabotage missions because they don't think like humans.

There is no substitute for Human intelligence, and a robot can't carry out sabotage missions because they don't think like humans.

I haven't ever considered the stealth ship as a robot, but more like a ship with a "cloaking" device

Indeed, with later techs, you can create/upgrade units that can SEE the stealth ship

I also don't think of it as robotic when I control it's actions

If your referring to the AI's unit as "robot" then try playing at a higher difficulty setting and watch their "robots" come do to you what you are doing to them

My point is, you can use the stealth ship in MOST the same ways as you can the current espionage units introduced in BtS - destroying infrastructure, disrupting "roads," destroying resources, and catching other stealth ships from other civs (with the proper upgrade).

In fact, you can use it for all the same things as the current espionage units in BtS with the exception stealing a tech (you don't have to steal them in FF, they are all easy to get), disrupting/changing your opponent's government civics (which most people in MP BtS believe is too strong and doesn't make sense), and stealing your opponent's gold in the treasury (no gold in FF, only "credits" as most sci-fi future movies/books, etc portray the future - money is no longer "value")

Are there any mods/extentions to this cool mod. This is the best civ mod ever, and I wish there would much more to explore in Final Frontier universe. It seems nobody is interested to make a huge Final Frontier mod, making it similar to the games such as Galactic civs or Space Empires V.

Strategy for winning at Diety/Marathon
========================

I played The Brotherhood (charismatic), though the civ with +trade might work as well.
Playing at deity means usually some form of militaristic strategy and that sort of applied here.

I played a Tiny map with all the other AI civs.

Macromanagement
============
1. Never build any construction ships or colonies.
(You conquer cities and construction ships).
2. My capital city was my wealth city building only wealth improvement buildings after awhile.
3. All other cities were military cities - my strongest building the most expensive units, one dedicated squadron producer, etc.
4. Build starbases ASAP.
This requires researching the techs for construction ships and starbases, so that may take awhile at Marathon. Though i think i researched the tech for Destroyers first, as this was necessary for
5. Until you build starbases, always keep research such that you have positive income.
The starbases costs around 180 credits.
6. Build warp lanes (i.e roads) between your cities asap, for trade $$.

Military Strategy
==========
1. Build invasion ships at the start - one medic (which lasted me til game victory) and the other city attacker promotions, etc.
2. Initially use the invasion ships as scouts (don't bother researching the tech for them immediately nor ever building any scouts). Try to get as much loot as possible. (Credits, techs, promotions).
3. Conquer the one or two closest cities (or three). As soon as you have the techs for starbases (and hopfully built up the req. credits), build starbases (on asteroids if possible for defence bonus) to optimize access to resources.
(At marathon it can take 23 turns to produce a starbase, so start building them first, then the roads).
NOTE: this was the only time in the game that i switched to a build mode (and non military expansion). If i did war with the other civs, it was to hijack their construction ships and to prevent them from building starbases nearby. (It only takes the AI about 6 turns, which hardly seems fair :-(
4. Use your (well positioned) starbases to conduct your military attacks from.
They have heal II, as well as the ability to host up to 4 squadrons. Position bombers and fighters in your starbase and pummell them enemy!!
5. Take vassels where possible. Then build warp lanes and reap the trade benefits.
6. Most importantly, during the Starbase building phase, i built as many stealth ships as i could.
I used these throughout the game to destroy other construction ships, pillage warp lanes (all of them :) and pillage improvements (for Credits and to disallow the AI civs from using resources). You really need to keep up with this in order to beat the civs at Deity.

Notes on my gameplay:
I won a Domination victory by 2340AD.
I had 3 vassels civs at the end.
Interestingly, i ended up being way behind on research - for most of the mid-late game, i was at around 20% or less.

Gentlemen:

Good afternoon from Canada!!! I hope this finds you and yours well. As for me, I could complain...yadda, yadda, yadda.

This is the mod that made me start to explore sci-fi RTS games. I now own two in this genre and am looking for more. The two are: Sins of a Solar Empire and Galactic Civilizations II. These both come from a company called Stardock.

I cannot stop singing the praises of this mod, but I do have a question about the in game leadership ratings. If I'm at the top of the list, which I am right at the moment, why does the game tell me I have all the leadership ability of Dan Quayle? What in the name of all that's holy am I doing to deserve this?

Secondly, Elderotter, this is Indy. You can easily find out who owns what just by putting your mouse cursor over the ship in question. Another way to find out is by the list of players at the right hand side of the screen. The names are in different colours. All one needs to do is match the name colour to the flashings on the ship in question. These are those little narrow parts on the ship halfway between the stern and nose of said ship. You have to look really close.

I hope this helps!!

Live long and prosper, take care and thank you kindly!!!!

Sincerely yours always,

Indy.

Gentlemen:

Good afternoon from Canada!!! I hope this finds you and yours well. As for me, I could complain...yadda, yadda, yadda.

I cannot stop singing the praises of this mod, but I do have a question about the in game leadership ratings. If I'm at the top of the list, which I am right at the moment, why does the game tell me I have all the leadership ability of Dan Quayle? What in the name of all that's holy am I doing to deserve this?

The leadership rankings are based on your score at the end of the game. A successful win with a high score well before the "end of time" will give you a higher rating. Relatively low scores are common in the early game, and if you merely retire you won't be highly ranked.

Secondly, Elderotter, this is Indy. You can easily find out who owns what just by putting your mouse cursor over the ship in question. Another way to find out is by the list of players at the right hand side of the screen. The names are in different colours. All one needs to do is match the name colour to the flashings on the ship in question. These are those little narrow parts on the ship halfway between the stern and nose of said ship. You have to look really close.

Stealth ships (and Privateers in the regular game) won't be identifiable as they have hidden nationality. They appear as barbarians, which is not much help for identifying who uses them.

They can be identified (when running the patches) if they attack from a city, as they lose their hidden nationality while in port. This protects them from being attacked as "pirates" while in a city, and allows them to heal up. It can be a good defense strategy to pick off "friendly" units passing by, though the AI doesn't often have scouts to spot stealth ships.

The combat log is another place to track combat results during the turn, but even there hidden nationality units won't be identified.

Gentlemen:

Good morning from Canada!! I hope this finds you and yours well. As for me, I really can't complain...yadda ,yadda, yadda.

For openers, thank you, Inky, for the heads up. In space, you practically need a scorecard to tell who is whom.

Secondly, what are the victory conditions for Final Frontier? I wish to escape the shadow of Dan Quayle so badly that I can taste it!!!!

Finally, one last comment. Could somebody PLEASE make this mod into a full fledged game? If there's a mod that deserves this more, I don't know what it would be!!! :please:

Live long and prosper, take care and thank you kindly!!!

Sincerely yours always,

Indy.

Why can't I colonize a sytem that is unclaimed? Do I need a greater influence, or something? Sometimes (rarely) I just pull up and plant the colonists and other times I can't even enter the system. I tried using a fleet of ships to attack and the same thing happens. There is a blue circle indicating that I should go there. What gives? I have looked at the walkthrough BTW. The example given shows no difficulties in colonizing planets.

I'm downloading the patch at the moment.

Thanks all.

Has anyone come up with a fully thought-out adaption for this mod???

I have, but I need to convert it to CIV IV Vanilla, unfortunatley. Any ideas on where I can find the download? :confused:

Final Frontier comes with BtS. If you have BtS and don't have Final Frontier, you have a defective installation.

As far a porting it over to vanilla, there may be stuff in the XML and python that it needs that doesn't exist in vanilla. I really don't know, I've never tired it, but I do know that you will have to re-work the terrain because hostile terrain doesn't exist in vanilla (the tag exists in BtS but is only used by Final Frontier).

Top Bottom