Road to War Issues

My $0.02 re the health/resource issues... Given the timeframe of the scenario, do you think it is realistic that cities should be growing like mushrooms after a good rain (like they can in other CIV games)? Given the theme of the scenario (warfare, resource shortages), do you think that the focus should be on maximizing city expansion? I think the scenario would become quite unbalanced if the health is tweaked much at all. Certainly health IS a game issue, but one that appropriate decisions can help mitigate in some instances. Does EVERY city need EVERY factory, or can you customize? Is it realistic for tiny atolls to be producing much of anything? As it stands now, the few health resources become strategically important, and that's what all those military units are for. Same for oil: the Middle East remains of strategic importance to this day because that IS where the oil is.

Recently downloaded the mod, and I was just about to ask if I'm doing something wrong as I have exactly the same issues as Zooman regarding building nukes (although I hadn't figured out why I could build them sometimes and then others not, but having read his post it makes a little more sense than any garbled explanation I'd have put!).

I play exclusively on accurate historical, and have also had the same problem of never been able to build nuclear bomb shelters.

Edit: Oh, and just had a quick game session this morning on Open Play for the first time, and whenever the AI builds a new city it isn't named, it'll say something like: TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_WW2_POLAND8(8). It's doing it for all AI civs, not just Poland. The number in brackets seems to be counting down if that makes sense?

My $0.02 re the health/resource issues... Given the timeframe of the scenario, do you think it is realistic that cities should be growing like mushrooms after a good rain (like they can in other CIV games)?
Is it realistic that they all start the same size? Or that London and Malta seem closely matched population wise? There isn't enough of a gap between the big and small cities, the reason for that being that some of the cities cannot grow large enough.
Given the theme of the scenario (warfare, resource shortages), do you think that the focus should be on maximizing city expansion? I think the scenario would become quite unbalanced if the health is tweaked much at all.
Seems slightly unbalanced to me as it is, Germany has been compensated with stronger units and a fascist industry; yet they easily capture cities from the poor nations(Low Countries, Poland etc) and end up producing far more and far stronger units than anyone else. Playing the game on a normal level seems to almost always result in Soviet and German domination. In fact in two or three turns any aircraft I produce is shot down, I don't think I've ever shot a German aircraft down. Not to mention that you lose buildings every turn aswel and can only replace one or the other.
Basically factoring all this in means open play mode doesn't really work, you can't wait for someone to join your side as they all end up friendly(ish) with Germany so it ends up being a one on one, and no country is up to that against Germany, let alone when they're fighting other countries too. Maybe it's better balanced in historical mode.
Certainly health IS a game issue, but one that appropriate decisions can help mitigate in some instances. Does EVERY city need EVERY factory, or can you customize? Is it realistic for tiny atolls to be producing much of anything?
I already am heavily customized in my smaller cities, mostly the middle eastern ones which are so important, which is fine, it's the larger ones that should be able to produce more, especially in comparison and considering changes in tactics you need variation in what you can produce.
As it stands now, the few health resources become strategically important, and that's what all those military units are for. Same for oil: the Middle East remains of strategic importance to this day because that IS where the oil is.
Important yes, and they should be, but the game doesn't work on a realistic basis, it unfortunately creates problems with resources, in real life the Americans would provide a lot of resources, from units to supplies, losing the middle east oil would be devestating but there were alternatives, it wouldn't take a country out of the war entirely, but as the game cannot adequately implement this, it becomes a game of lose the oil and it's over.
You can't build units and buildings at the same time, if your oil gets cut off you no longer have access to building certain units, so as you can see total realism isn't likely to be possible.

Generally speaking the mod all works, and is to a good degree enjoyable, but it has it's problems, to be fair that's probably as it's made with historical mode in mind more than the other two modes.

I should point out there is a small bug with bombing civil buildings/factories, when you lose something you have to rebuild it twice.

I just bought the BTS expansion pack and was disappointed to discover the RTW scenarios do not include a global war. Does anyone know of a global scenario I can download?

My $0.02 re the health/resource issues... Given the timeframe of the scenario, do you think it is realistic that cities should be growing like mushrooms after a good rain (like they can in other CIV games)? Given the theme of the scenario (warfare, resource shortages), do you think that the focus should be on maximizing city expansion? I think the scenario would become quite unbalanced if the health is tweaked much at all. Certainly health IS a game issue, but one that appropriate decisions can help mitigate in some instances. Does EVERY city need EVERY factory, or can you customize? Is it realistic for tiny atolls to be producing much of anything? As it stands now, the few health resources become strategically important, and that's what all those military units are for. Same for oil: the Middle East remains of strategic importance to this day because that IS where the oil is.

I agree that the cities should not be "growing like mushrooms" but on the otherhand they shouldn't be starving either. And ofcourse the timeframe is different from the regular game and that has to be factored in as well but the game should allow for play close to what actually did occur and some aspects of the resource balancing re the Allied civs, particularly in the Pacific scenarios are simply not realistic and don't provide game play that is even close to what did happen (i.e. reasearch was so slow in one of my games that the US did not get B-17's until 1945 when in reality they were available in 1941 - in fact a flight was coming into Pearl on the morning of Dec 7!

Make no mistake, I think this is a GREAT mod but it's not perfect (yet - nice to see the 1.2 update is in beta) and one of the things that is great about Civ is that, if you don't like the way something works, you can change it and play it your way.

Still I like your points and it is always good to be reminded of the difference between the standard config for the game, particularly things like game turn time, and that of the mod you are working with.

Wierd, cuz that bug was fixed in the add-on. Do you have a save where this is occuring? Post it and I'll check it out.

Just curious - wasn't able to tell whether you were able to use them or not.

I love this mod. I have been playing as Russia historical 1939. and really enjoy it. Germany and I are deadlocked in Poland I have taken all of Finland. There are however a few things that I have problems with.
1. Anti Air guns being considered siege weapons. That just really seems wrong it is frustrating to have an aa gun take a city.
2. I have had units attack my unit a cruiser attacks my battleship and sinks it. My turn rolls around the cruiser has totally vanished I can not attack it because it no longer exists until a few turns later when it magically reappears.
3. I agree that planes should be able to sink ships.
4. It appears very easy for enemies to take my cities but even after massive bombings and air attacks their cities are almost impossible to take even with something like a tank. Example Germany took Riga from me and I have bombed and hammered it every turn for at least a year yet when I move troops in it still gives them less then 50% chance. I am bombing the units with bombers for collateral and then hit the defenses with fighters and even when the city has 0 defense and I have a KV-1 ready to attack the Germany infantry has a better than 60% of winning.
5. The allies do not seem to be taking pressure off of Russia I believe but I will have to look again that the invasion of Italy should have happened by now but Italy does not appear to have been invaded.
Once again great mod and I do not want to be overly critical I believe 1 and 2 are my two biggest problems.

Hey warrior73. :)

There's an add-on out for RtW and I'm currently working on a second one. The links are in my sig.

Check them out. :)

Dale

Thanks Dale. I installed the add on and the patch. Now I can not load my saved rtw games. The error messages says unable to uncompress game data files. It will appear as if the game has loaded the Warlords screen will pop up and that is when it happens then Civ 4 shutsdown.

You get the warlords screen? Something's gone wrong sorry. :(

Yeah it loads like normal then just before letting me play the warlords screen pops up and I get that message. Any idea if there is a way to fix that? I have installed the add on twice now.

O.k. got it to work. I downloaded the version without movies and now it loads just fine.

Thinking on the issue of aircrafts sinking ships.
That´s what I´m looking forward always.
Special planes that can land on carriers and others that can´t..
P-40 landbases, F-4 Wildcats carrierbased

Then we can have dive-bombers and SPECIAL Torpedo-bombers THAT should be able to sink ships with torpedos and land on carriers not as the Wellington bombers that can´t (and shouldn´t) be able to land on carriers.
Now the carriersforce ONLY have a duty to do air-cover over a force.
Just think about the Bismarck hunt where the Swordfish crippled Bismarck and they took of from Carriers.

Just my two cents, before I even gotten 10% into this mod.
It looks great however.

I gave up on Road to War, because when the land tiles kept changing due to winter, My Pc would grind to halt and I could be waiting over 5 minutes for a turn cycle.

Also, I have an Athlon XP 1800 with a 6600 GT 128Mb and 1.5 Gb of RAM. which is more than adequate for "Standard" map sizes.

Top Bottom