CFC Steam Group

Relevant to the Portal 2 ARG (which I have been trying to ignore as I ordered Portal 2 off of Amazon so it arrives after my exams). I usually hate these pictures but this one is good.

I'm on 11 potatoes, no way I'm getting all 36 before tomorrow :lol: Still it was fun trying.

Quick question regarding steam... How does an account name differ from the name used in the profile? Which one shows up as my handle when I join a multiplayer game? I ask because my account name is something I'd rather not use.

Quick question regarding steam... How does an account name differ from the name used in the profile? Which one shows up as my handle when I join a multiplayer game? I ask because my account name is something I'd rather not use.

Your account name is used to log in and one of the ways people can add you to their friend's list, you can set the name you want to be publicly seen and used in games, your profile and friend's list in the settings menu.

Is it important to belong to?
But I never used steam and never will

Anyone else stoked for MnB: Fire and Sword?

Anyone else stoked for MnB: Fire and Sword?

I actually just bought the pack with the two other ones yesterday. It was like 20 USD, iirc. Still trying to get into it.

Anyone else think that Fire and Sword is awesome?

Anyone else think that Fire and Sword is awesome?

I'm half way done downloading it still. I picked up the whole M&B pack when it was on sale. Which game should I start with? Should I play them in order or does that not matter at all?

Play single player for a while, or get into MP? Anyone want to give me a quick tutorial on the in-outs of it? I finished the tutorial for M&B and Warband so far. And they weren't all that elaborate. Just how to attack and defend.

I'm a little intimidated by games that make you command squads or armies in real time combat like the Total War series. So the follower/party thing is going to be tough for me. I'm so used to single player games (The Elder Scrolls, FPS's, etc).

About the CFC steam group, does no one use that chat feature for the group? I'm not vary familiar with steam so bear with me.

Play the SP for a long while until you get the hang of it (and are comfortable with playing at regular damage) before playing the MP. There is no need to play them in order, Warband is set in a 1200s like fictional medieval setting, and With Fire and Sword has its own story setting in the gunpowder heavy (I don't know what time) historical setting in and around Poland.

And I think Ive used the group chat, twice, for specific pre-arranged events and then we swiftly ditched it when we played Left 4 Dead and no one else showed up. If you post your Steam ID I can add you to my friend's list.

EDIT: This unofficial manual for Warband should help (and I think I may recommend starting with Warband).

I desperately want the Team Captain TF2 hat. :p

I would start with Warband, personally

There's not much reason to play the original save mods

Fire & Sword introduces gunpowder and a new map I think, so I'd save it for later.

Is multiplayer even that good? Unless you're playing with some friends, none of the game modes really seem to lend themselves to deuls or small number of players. Maybe deathmatch.

How often do people in the steam group play on multiplayer?

And recommendations for servers or game mode for the novice?

PS - Mounted combat frustrates me to no end. I can't seem to hit anything in my ride-by's. I must be aiming wrong or something. I notice the rider has multiple positions when the attack button is held down. Does it matter which one I use? Does each position have a set angle of attack? How can I change them if so, the positioning of the weapon on horseback seems really random to me.

Is multiplayer even that good?
Yes. It can be harder though if you're used to playing on easy (reduced) damage, there are some excellent guides on the Taleworld's forums (I can link you to them alter when I'm not using the Steam browser).

Unless you're playing with some friends, none of the game modes really seem to lend themselves to deuls or small number of players. Maybe deathmatch.
There is a duel mode actually, which is a good way to practice and improve your gameplay. There's also player ettiquite around dueling too, there's a sticky about it in the Taleworld's forums.

How often do people in the steam group play on multiplayer?
Just me afaik. And mostly I am playing Mount&Musket with the 1st Reddit Brigade.

And recommendations for servers or game mode for the novice?
Duel servers, team death match, don't worry about always dying, Mount&Musket (mod) is fun and surprisingly newb friendly (relatively).
PS - Mounted combat frustrates me to no end. I can't seem to hit anything in my ride-by's. I must be aiming wrong or something. I notice the rider has multiple positions when the attack button is held down. Does it matter which one I use? Does each position have a set angle of attack? How can I change them if so, the positioning of the weapon on horseback seems really random to me.
Make sure the weapon you are using can actually reach that far, short weapons have a shorter reach and long weapons reach farther (like spears or longswords) etc its rather obvious and the reach is displayed in the tool tip for the weapon. You may need to get closer (I usually go right next to them but trying to knock knock them down isntead of splitting their head open). Depending on the speed of the weapon you may need to 'release' (start swinging) before you get close to them. The faster you are going the larger speed bonus you will get which increases damage.

Just to give you guys fair warning, the F2P games are, to put it politely, FUBAR'd.

I downloaded Champions online and AVA, and neither of them worked. I also can't connect to Global Agenda, which is stupid because I already bought the game before the F2P update was allowed. In any case, it's a conglamoration of fail, and I'd wait to give any of the new F2P games a try.

I tried Spiral Knights... Eh, just didn't seem very interesting to me. Although my Steam friends tell me its really good, whatever.

I tried Spiral Knights... Eh, just didn't seem very interesting to me. Although my Steam friends tell me its really good, whatever.

I tried the Champions game. It was alright getting through the tutorial campaign. Overall kind of immersive (mostly in the character creation), combat is pretty smooth (feels FPS with minimal button mashing), and more fun than most free MMOs that I've suffered through. On the other hand it kind of felt more like a thematic FPS team deathmatch (e.g. think Freedom Force as a FPS) with the baddies just respawning over and over again. It also felt a bit like wading through Spore Galactic Adventures levels in that the interactions are strictly talk here than talk there with minimalistic level design.

In short not much of a role-playing experience.

I finaly tried Champions Online, but the control scheme is brutal. :mad:

I finaly tried Champions Online, but the control scheme is brutal. :mad:

It looks like it's supposed to be drag and drop so I see your point that it's kind of complicated to set up. But pretty much it's space to jump, and 1 or 2 to attack. And right click on rewards to bind them to your inventory. I found it rather simple (nearly boring) actually, like a typical Half-life mod.