Guess the UA/UB/UU of the civs

I'd like to see the Byzantine Fire-Ship and for the Mayans to have a UB that replaces the Observatory, can be built anywhere and provides both Science and Faith.

I'd also like to see the Carthaginians get a mounted UU (elephants of course) that can move slowly across mountains.

I'd like to see the Byzantine Fire-Ship and for the Mayans to have a UB that replaces the Observatory, can be built anywhere and provides both Science and Faith.

I'd also like to see the Carthaginians get a mounted UU (elephants of course) that can move slowly across mountains.

I disagree with the elephants.
Just because the Carthaginians used them, and 14 of them became famous in Hannibal's Crossing of the Alps, doesn't mean they should be the Carthaginian UU.
I still suggest Numidian Cavalry.

Here's a random thought. The IGN article said the cultural bonuses for the Maya are tied to their calendar. What if their bonus doesn't occur based on researching a tech or doing something, but on a set turn? For example, a bunch of culture or even a free social policy on specific turns. Each calendar cycle is 52 years, which might be too short, but the long count might be appropriate. That would mean:

3114 (BCE), 2720, 2325, 1931, 1537, 1143, 748, 354, 41 (CE), 435, 830, 1224, 1618, 2012

That's 14, which is too much for a free policy, but a bunch of culture that perhaps scales wouldn't be too bad.

Now this would be cool.

Here's a random thought. The IGN article said the cultural bonuses for the Maya are tied to their calendar. What if their bonus doesn't occur based on researching a tech or doing something, but on a set turn? For example, a bunch of culture or even a free social policy on specific turns. Each calendar cycle is 52 years, which might be too short, but the long count might be appropriate. That would mean:

3114 (BCE), 2720, 2325, 1931, 1537, 1143, 748, 354, 41 (CE), 435, 830, 1224, 1618, 2012

That's 14, which is too much for a free policy, but a bunch of culture that perhaps scales wouldn't be too bad.

Good thinking. This would be fun indeed. :goodjob:
I really liked the steveg700 idea for the Mayan UA: Cycles of the Sun and Moon: Whenever Maya is the first civilization to adopt a social policy, the empire receives a boost to science. Whenever Maya is the first civilization to learn a technology, the empire receives a boost to culture. The size of the bonus scales to the number of civ's currently in the game (more civ's = bigger boost for being first).

I would guess the official UA is something along those lines, culture:science/dates :)

Good thinking. This would be fun indeed. :goodjob:
I really liked the steveg700 idea for the Mayan UA: Cycles of the Sun and Moon: Whenever Maya is the first civilization to adopt a social policy, the empire receives a boost to science. Whenever Maya is the first civilization to learn a technology, the empire receives a boost to culture. The size of the bonus scales to the number of civ's currently in the game (more civ's = bigger boost for being first).

I would guess the official UA is something along those lines, culture:science/dates :)

A fun one, but the problem being: if you're having a bad game, you could literally have this ability not proc even once.

More specifically, it'll be virtually useless on harder difficulties.

That isn't a very good design for Mayan. Too general.

I would give them a bonuses for wonder completions. 50% enhanced bonuses for World Wonder construction.

On higher difficulties this is difficult to implement. But maybe something to help them get the wonders. A really good UB that creates excess culture early on. If you substitute monument or temples with a good UB, you can get that leg up early on.

Chances that Firaxis tied the Mayan civ (U*, whichever one) to the Mayan Calendar, the primary thing that most people 'barely' know about that civilization? hmm... could be what they usually do. :lol:

I think the Mayan one might be more similar to Babylons:
1 Free Great Artist for researching Calendar (or one free social Policy?)

and one free one every X turns after that?

Most early calendars served as guides for agriculture rather than science. An agriculture bonus might fit very well for the Maya.

Most early calendars served as guides for agriculture rather than science. An agriculture bonus might fit very well for the Maya.

That might be good... Calendar gives +1 food to riverside farms? (basically get Civil Service early?)

Carthage
UA: As they relied on mercenaries, it sounds like they'd have a benefit at gaining units from military CS's.
UU's: My guess would be the quinquereme. Hannibal's amphibious elephants would be cool.

Maya
UA: I had an idea that I posted on the Ideas forum which folks seemed to like. Unfortunately, my timing was off as it was a week or two before the G&K announcement. Anyway, it had Maya gaining bonus culture whenever they were the first to learn a tech, and gaining science whenever they were the first to adopt a sopol. I think the idea of rewarding a civ for being the first to accomplish something makes the game feel competitive even during peacetime.
UU: Although warlike as all get out, they didn't really have standing armies, just militias drawn from the populace, so no UU would be appropriate evne if it defies the formula.
UB: The ballcourt is pretty prominent. Could be a colosseum that grants bonus production to melee and ranged units. Also, there are the "e groups" that acted as both primitive observatories and temples, so it could be a monument that grants bonus science.
UTI: The step pyramids would make an awesome cultural tile improvement, mainly because it could be built in jungles and forests. A pyramid jutting out of treetops is about as iconic as you can get.

Ah, I see Marduk already mentioned my Maya idea.
A fun one, but the problem being: if you're having a bad game, you could literally have this ability not proc even once.

It is a problem, and that's the point. The UA challenges the player. You gotta go in with the plan to milk it, and choose your techs and sopols wisely.

In thread after thread when folks present their ideas for UA's, it's disappointing so how they predominantly come up with boring "bonus food for such-and-such terrain, bonus science for such-and-such buildings, bonus hammers for such-and-such strategic resources, bonus happiness for such-and-such luxury--oh, and how about some more gold from trade routes?" stuff. Reliable, consistent, and no strategy required. Play the game just like before, just with some freebies thrown in. Walk the bases until you reach home plate.

Certainly there are UA's that just hand out freebies (e.g. Russia or France). However, there's plenty of precedence for this amongst existing civ's. If you're playing Germany, Ottomans, or Songhai, for instance, you gotta go barb-hunting while they're in bloom. What are Rome's UU's worth without iron, or Mongolia's without a good supply of horses? The Incas encourage you to go hunting for mountains while Polynesia incentivizes you to find unobstructed coastlines. And Spain's the most fun of all to play IMO, because it offers a high risk/reward ratio for exploration.

More specifically, it'll be virtually useless on harder difficulties.

Why? Because on higher difficulties, you can't compete to be first at anything? No matter what choices you make, you just don't have a chance? The thing about the Cycles of Sun and Moon UA is that it isn't luck-of-the-draw like all of those UA's that require you to pray for a favorable map. Research and sopols are largely map-agnostic, and you have multiple angles to pursue. You might pursue a tech or sopol just because you don't think anyone else will go for it right away. You might go all out pursuing the Oracle or Great Library. You might keep your empire compact to retain an edge on sopol costs and find yourself snowballing science. To not have the UA proc once during a game amounts to not coming up with a strategy.

Having said all that, the other uniques that go with that UA should, of course, compliment it and give you an edge towards being first. Along with the UI, I suggested a UI (step pyramid) and UB (e group) that would give an early slight edge in culture or science.

I would give them a bonuses for wonder completions. 50% enhanced bonuses for World Wonder construction.
How are bonuses to wonder completion not too general? How are world wonders part of Maya's distinctive identity? OK, there's Chichen Itza. Whate else?

What's most remarkable about the Mayans wasn't the physical works they produced, but rather the way they took their folklore and religious beliefs and used them to fuel scientific research rather than put themselves at odds with it.

Now this. This is intriguing.

Could wind up boring: if it's just static, consistent bonuses that occur on a clockwork schedule, then another "walk the bases" UA.

What would make it interesting is if It granted different bonsues depending on the calendar, so you'd have to time when you milk them. You have a bonus to attacking cities for a while, then maybe a penalty to attacking a city and a bonus to research.

Instead of having the bonus rely on turn/time why not have it activate on era changes, for example a free great artist every time you enter a new era. For a max of 5 free great artists.

You mean Egypt's UA? Why give two civs the same UA, and why would Maya get a +50% bonus when Egypt (for whom the bonus is arguably more appropriate) only gets +20%?

I was referencing the article, which explicitly said cultural bonuses.

Byzantium
UU-Varnarian? Gaurd (replaces swordsman, cheaper and stronger)
UB-Cahedral (replaces temple, generates faith)

The Dutch
UU-Swiss Mercenary (replaces Pikeman, extra strength
UU- Privateer (replaces Caravel, steals gold from port cities)
UA- Dikes converts marshes to more fertile tiles

The Mayans
UU- Holkan (replaces Pikeman, Gereates faith for unit killed)
UU- Calenar Maker?? (replaces Great Scientist, generates faith when expended)
UA- Ends at 2012 (causes unhappiness to all enemies)

Celts
UI- Henge (generates a bit of anything

Carthage
UU- Numidian Calvary (replaces horseman, cheaper)
UU- Carthaginian War Elephant (replaces horse archer, Stronger and can cross mountains without Great General)
UA- Mercenaries of the Alps March (units can climb mountains. Units are cheaper to purchase)

Varangian Guard and Cathedral, btw.

Swiss Mercenary is literally a Landsknecht, so I don't think that's likely.

Top Bottom