Civ V Hot fix released

What you are seeing is most likely not that bug. Grey tiles will still be seen where terrain textures are loading. You can minimize this by making a change in your graphicssettings ini (I believe it's called Minimize Grey Tiles). Right now, for the benefit of faster video cards, the terrain waits to page in until the camera stops moving, making camera scrolling much smoother. On slower cards, this can be distracting for users, so by making the change to the ini file noted above, you can change it back to the old way, where it pages in while the camera is still moving. It's less smooth this way, but some people prefer it.
I also have this bug and it didn't happen before the fall patch was released.

What you are seeing is most likely not that bug. Grey tiles will still be seen where terrain textures are loading. You can minimize this by making a change in your graphicssettings ini (I believe it's called Minimize Grey Tiles). Right now, for the benefit of faster video cards, the terrain waits to page in until the camera stops moving, making camera scrolling much smoother. On slower cards, this can be distracting for users, so by making the change to the ini file noted above, you can change it back to the old way, where it pages in while the camera is still moving. It's less smooth this way, but some people prefer it.

To me this is no big deal. It only does this on the first turn of a new game, or when I load a savegame. After that it never shows up again. Going through part of the first turn with some grey tiles is worth it for smoother gameplay. Great job on the patch. Now bring out some DLCs. :lol:

To me this is no big deal. It only does this on the first turn of a new game, or when I load a savegame. After that it never shows up again. Going through part of the first turn with some grey tiles is worth it for smoother gameplay. Great job on the patch. Now bring out some DLCs. :lol:

Agreed. I get it too but certainly see it as no reason to complain. like said, it happens only once por session (for me) then it`s done.

I believe it`s part of the `optimising` to make the game faster? Not showing bits until absolutely needed. I don`t care about the DLCs though, I bought the GOTY and G&K to avoid the nickle and diming.

Agreed. I get it too but certainly see it as no reason to complain. like said, it happens only once por session (for me) then it`s done.

I believe it`s part of the `optimising` to make the game faster? Not showing bits until absolutely needed. I don`t care about the DLCs though, I bought the GOTY and G&K to avoid the nickle and diming.

I enjoy the DLCs. They are something new and interesting. Besides they give us all something new to talk about, from time to time. What I like most is new civs,UUs, UAs. They are the core of the game and increase its replayabilty in so many ways.

I did complain at first, because I had to reboot steam, but those things can happen with patches. However, It annoyed me, I am not going to lie. One thing I will say though is that when something gets updated Firaxis is right there, replying to our posts personally. I can't say that about Paradox or The Creative Assembly, although I love their games. The lead producer of those franchises did not message me personally, ever. Dennis Shirk did and since then I have admired his dedication to CiV. Really we are very lucky to have that. Oh and Happy Thanksgiving everyone! All I want for Christmas is a new DLC. :)

I enjoy the DLCs. They are something new and interesting. Besides they give us all something new to talk about, from time to time. What I like most is new civs,UUs, UAs. They are the core of the game and increase its replayabilty in so many ways.

I did complain at first, because I had to reboot steam, but those things can happen with patches. However, It annoyed me, I am not going to lie. One thing I will say though is that when something gets updated Firaxis is right there, replying to our posts personally. I can't say that about Paradox or The Creative Assembly, although I love their games. The lead producer of those franchises did not message me personally, ever. Dennis Shirk did and since then I have admired his dedication to CiV. Really we are very lucky to have that. Oh and Happy Thanksgiving everyone! All I want for Christmas is a new DLC. :)

I'm always glad to see Firaxis and 2K actively involved in helping with game issues. It means a lot. Unfortunately, I mostly stick to Steam's Civ V areas. That is also where the game's forum and support links in Steam take you, so it seems to be a common place for people with Civ issues to meet and gripe - and Firaxis never sets foot there. So I read a lot of resentment toward them, a lot of hateful messages toward 2K and Firaxis, because they apparently are not omnipresent. Where possible, I try to keep information on the Steam areas up-to-date, and it's a chore at times. I wish there was just better communication from Firaxis on the Steam side of things, because it is a Steam game - it is completely linked to the Steam Community, yet from there they appear silent.

This site seems to get the best information, 2K forums the fastest, but Steam is where people always seem to end up.

Can someone tell me what is the most current version number with hotfix? I tried my first game post fall patch, and everything went fine until turn 107, where I suddenly experienced a CTD. It might just have been a mod issue or something, but I want to make sure I do have the most recent version. My game says 1.0.2.21 or something like that (ends with 21 at least!).

I'm always glad to see Firaxis and 2K actively involved in helping with game issues. It means a lot. Unfortunately, I mostly stick to Steam's Civ V areas. That is also where the game's forum and support links in Steam take you, so it seems to be a common place for people with Civ issues to meet and gripe - and Firaxis never sets foot there. So I read a lot of resentment toward them, a lot of hateful messages toward 2K and Firaxis, because they apparently are not omnipresent. Where possible, I try to keep information on the Steam areas up-to-date, and it's a chore at times. I wish there was just better communication from Firaxis on the Steam side of things, because it is a Steam game - it is completely linked to the Steam Community, yet from there they appear silent.

This site seems to get the best information, 2K forums the fastest, but Steam is where people always seem to end up.

From what I`ve seen on various forums of various games it`s common for devs to almost never comment on steam. They do literally ignore the issue.

I believe this is because it`s a PUBLISHER issue and the Devs are sworn to keep their views to themselves (under penalty of being sacked). I`m pretty sure there are some Devs out there that would have no problems with non-mandatory Steam game to allow for gaming freedom and those who don`t want to be tied to the net. There are many other DRMs that need not be so invasive or draconian. No point Devs going to the Steam comments if they can`t comment freely.

Publisher\marketing people on the other hand won`t bother to do us the respect of responding or entertaining our reasonable requests on the issue of Steam. They stay aloof from it all and care only about the cash which Steam secures in many ways (such as preventing 2nd hand resales\returns for example)..

Eventually the Steam issue will come to a head. It can`t be ignored it forever.

Yep same here. I just zoom out and let it load all the bits which doesnt take more than a few seconds. It doesnt do it again so Im happy with it.

I am impressed with the latest fall patch. I`m gonna buy the next dlc to support the game in future patches/expansions. great work.

a civ addict.

I am impressed with the latest fall patch. I`m gonna buy the next dlc to support the game in future patches/expansions. great work.

a civ addict.

Exactly. Id gone off Civ V before Gods & Kings came out. Now, with the patch as well, Im totally addicted. I had most of the DLC but bought the little bit I didnt have just because the game is fun again. So theres obviously a lesson there. :)

Playing with the hotfix I still get experience when using my ranged units in combat with barbarians. Wasn't this fixed in the fall patch?

Can anyone else confirm?

\Skodkim

I believe the fix was to eliminate earning of Great General points from ranged attacks on barbs. Your unit is still supposed to accumulate XP for itself (up to second promotion). Are you still seeing GG points being earned? (Don't have access to the game right now, so I can't check my own version.)

Sorry for the bad explanation but yes i still get gg points from ranged combat with barbarians.

/skodkim

Top Bottom