Germany has denounced the Huns!

Smokeybear

Emperor
Hehe, call me strange, but I always get a chuckle when that announcement pops up during a game :D

A culture, country thing. Probably referring to the fact that the Germans were called the Huns sometimes by the British in WW1.

Smokeybear must be a Brit. :)

First, the Huns was a group of tribes that came from the east, like the mongols.

Second, the barbaric tribes in the lands of Germany, is not the first in Europe.

It goes back further than that.

The oldest people living in Europe right now are Finland and Baskia, they lived on this landmass for thousands of years before the Huns, Ghengis and whoever. Ppl in Finland and Baskia have the similar DNA, but isn't found in "newer" civilisations, they all come from The Ugrians todays Hungary, most possibly Europes first cities are born from this fact. They are the oldest and have a different DNA-strand in the matter, which only matches with Finland and Baskia.

Time? Doesn't matter. Finns and Hungrarians are the oldest ppl on the continent, with the Basks.

"Should you encounter the enemy, he will be defeated! No quarter will be given! Prisoners will not be taken! Whoever falls into your hands is forfeited. Just as a thousand years ago the Huns under their King Attila made a name for themselves, one that even today makes them seem mighty in history and legend, may the name German be affirmed by you in such a way in China that no Chinese will ever again dare to look cross-eyed at a German."

Kaiser Wilhem II, on the eve of German participation in the Boxer Rebellion

Hun was quite common in WW2 also...

"Beware of the Hun in the Sun"

Being a popular adage for the air force as fighter pilots would often aim to attack with the sun behind them so their target could not see them.

Hmm, fill me in, so I can laugh too?

As others have noted already, the Germans were oft called 'Huns' by the allies during the world wars of the last century. It may not be a factually accurate nickname for them, but it was very common, especially in the propaganda of the day. I'm an American, not a Brit, but am quite familiar with the history of that era. So when Bismarck 'denounces the Huns', I always snicker a bit.

"Should you encounter the enemy, he will be defeated! No quarter will be given! Prisoners will not be taken! Whoever falls into your hands is forfeited. Just as a thousand years ago the Huns under their King Attila made a name for themselves, one that even today makes them seem mighty in history and legend, may the name German be affirmed by you in such a way in China that no Chinese will ever again dare to look cross-eyed at a German."

Kaiser Wilhem II, on the eve of German participation in the Boxer Rebellion

I had a game like this one. An Immortal game, back in the days of yonder otherwise known as pre-GnK. It just wouldn't do to fit in a historical discussion... without putting it in CiV terms to be totally on topic.

Therefore a story.

Of that treacherous immortal empress Wu Zetian and her mad dreams of world domination...

Spoiler :

The funny thing one might notice when viewing the next snapshot is that she had so many tempting targets - or rather, target - on their path towards the Fatherland. But apparently, once the mighty Landsknechts were done with the Korean rabble to the southeast, Wu realized that it was now or never.

Spoiler :

The German people were a desperate lot, and did something few would have considered - a Medieval naval assault. A shoestring one at that too, one that was already breaking their mortal treasury.

Spoiler :

The fighting for Xian was savage - with no siege units at hand, or any other powerful iron units, the Heer forced its way into the Chinese colonial outpost with only Deutsche steel on Lanzes and grim determination not to bow down to an immortal empress' sorcerous will.

Spoiler :

Against the might of their Chu-Ko-Nus and Longswordsmen, Germany truimphed.

Xian was taken (and would eventually be renamed... Frankfurt)

But then Babylon showed his true colors - a terrible lackey of that devious empress.

Spoiler :

Now with two Immortal powers in a coalition against the Fatherland, hordes of oriental units began pouring from the darkest north

Spoiler :

At that point in time, the Chinese city of Hangzhou - under siege from victorious Heer units at Xian - now received the reinforcements they needed to throw the German out of this continent once and for all

Things were indeed looking grim for the Fatherland...

Spoiler :

But fortune would have it that Her Wondrous Majesty Catherine of Rossiya would accept the Great Leader's proposal in aiding beleaguered Germany against the most terrible of eastern western foes.

Spoiler :

So with steely nerves and ice cold determination, the Landsknechts held the line against the oriental hordes bedeviling them

And it worked! So much so that terrible empress was so disgusted with her lackey's utter incompetence, that she proceeded to declare war on him!

Spoiler :

Eventually, there was a Cold Peace between Mighty Germany and the northern hordes of most wicked Zhongguo

... and one must also smile at the stunning, most failings of the latter to break through their ex-lackey's defenses too!

Spoiler :

But anyways, the Cold Peace wasn't named because it was a straight up agreement of truce. It was because both of us knew that someday, there would be another war. A final Gotterdammerung to settle who was to hold dominion over this wretched world for endless time

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

First, the Huns was a group of tribes that came from the east, like the mongols.

Second, the barbaric tribes in the lands of Germany, is not the first in Europe.

It goes back further than that....

*snip of long waffle.*

I think you`re missing the point. Please read what I wrote. Historically in real life, during WW1, the British called the Germans `Huns`. Even the US might have, but I don`t know for sure.

Smokeybear has also confirmed this.

@Smokeybear. lol, I thought you a Brit. Well I am and you`re right about the term.

Historically in real life, during WW1, the British called the Germans `Huns`.

"A thirst for the Hun, we were food for the gun.
And that's what you are when you're soldiers."

-Motorhead, "1916"

It goes back further than that.

The oldest people living in Europe right now are Finland and Baskia, they lived on this landmass for thousands of years before the Huns, Ghengis and whoever. Ppl in Finland and Baskia have the similar DNA, but isn't found in "newer" civilisations, they all come from The Ugrians todays Hungary, most possibly Europes first cities are born from this fact. They are the oldest and have a different DNA-strand in the matter, which only matches with Finland and Baskia.

Time? Doesn't matter. Finns and Hungrarians are the oldest ppl on the continent, with the Basks.

Where are you finding this stuff? Old ethno-linguistic stuff that has long been discredited?

The modern view is that, for the most part Finns and Hungarians, are hardly distinguishable from other Europeans....the Finns are essentially a Germanic people speaking a non-Germanic language. That their language and that of the Hungarians has different linguistic roots than most other European languages has little relevancy.

The Basques I don't really know much about....they seem to be a true linguistic island....a bit like the Etruscans of thousands of years ago....but I have no idea what that means in ethnic terms...to me they look pretty much like Spaniards...but I would guess they don't think that... ;)

Top Bottom