Deity OCC: Strategy and Tips

I did quite lot of OCC Deity games and win. With lot of civilizations India, France, Egypt, Siam, Persia etc. Although I did every one at Archipelago maps!

My priority is to go for Stonehenge to speed up a lot of early polices and as fast as you can go to Renaissance to start grabbing Piety. After that I skip Patronage because you need to go ALL Freedom.

2 Worker quickly finish everything and than disband because of unit maintenance.
2 Frigate to keep your borders from embarked units (after Free Speech you can run all 8 because its free)
1 Caravel to explore
Later on you can have few artillery...

Great Artist should be priority and after completing Freedom those 6-8 Landmarks will RULE the world of culture. You should beeline and try to get Louvre if you can.
Of course, HS, Garden and National epic is must do ASAP.

Because of quick border expansion, you will manage to grab 2 or 3 luxuries that is outside of your city range, but you can sell those also. Sell also all Iron and Horse if you have those.

After HS you can chose do you want to spend your money at RA and go to PT, or (because I find that with one city I cant outrun AI at Christo and Sydney Opera House, so I go for eather Sistine Chapel or Norte Dame

Once I even survive 3 Nukes and my navy prevent capturing my capital and I manage to complete Utopia ;)

Cheers,
Ivan.

I really liked Sadato's strats, and I'm interested in trying some of Vagus' ideas on an archipelago.

One thing I'm wondering about, I'm still a huge noob, and when I read Sadato's strat on buying the worker, I realized I must be missing something on making money in the early game. As far as I know, the only way to make money in the early (first 10-15 turns or whatever) are ruins, CS, selling Open Borders (which can't be done til writing), and grabbing barb camps. I sometimes have spawns where ruins are giving things like barb camp location and nothing useful, and there aren't more than 1 or so CS close by.

Is it really reliable to not have a worker early? Doesn't that slow city growth and science down?

You can typically buy a worker by turn 20 without gold ruins (10-15 with gold) by getting your city to size 3, averaging 4.2 gpt, discovering 3 city-states and researching Sailing to get a whale to sell. Otherwise, you wait until your worker can work marble, gold or the calendar luxs after your third tech.

I just want to add few tips to my strategy:

1. After UN is built it happens that some AI have crazy amount of gold (30K, 60K WTF), and in most of the cases, they will try to buy off all CS from you and others. So you will need to DOW him and hope that wealthy son of AItch isn't your neighbor. (but with 8 frigate you can even handle that with a little luck)

2. In late game, if you sell OB to your neighbor he WILL attack you in some 50% of cases (never actually calculated just a rough assessment), It looks like when AI sees your troop size, placement and city defense, he attack more often. So, keep your borders closed for nearest AI.
If he is Friendly, it should be OK thou.

Top Bottom