Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

ChicagoCubs said:
Is there any map setting that I can play a land-locked One City Challenge and not fear the AI settling on an island.

My last two OCC, I enjoy being land-locked since I can get more production squares; however, I was cruising along on my way to a conquest victory only to see the AI with a city on a one square island.

If every map has a chance to develop islands, then I guess I need to get a coastal city.

Dude,

In that situation you need to conquer a coastal city and get building transport ships.

Just a suggestion

ChicagoCubs said:
Is there any map setting that I can play a land-locked One City Challenge and not fear the AI settling on an island.

My last two OCC, I enjoy being land-locked since I can get more production squares; however, I was cruising along on my way to a conquest victory only to see the AI with a city on a one square island.

If every map has a chance to develop islands, then I guess I need to get a coastal city.

Try either a pangea script, or else a balanced map. Both should provide what you're looking for.

scienide09 said:
Try either a pangea script, or else a balanced map. Both should provide what you're looking for.

Both attempts were on Pangaea maps. One with "pressed" shorelines and the other with "solid". There still was the random single or two tile islands. I guess I'll have to establish a coastal city as my one city.

@Fung3

In a One City Challenge, the player can only have one city. Any city that the player captures is instantly razed (no choice about it).

1. We have an option regarding conquered cities flipping back to their previous owners. Without checking this option, I'm a little confused how conquered cities and culture function. If a city is conquered it is not susceptible to flipping for the duration of the game? Is it vulnerable to anyone other than the original owner, or does the city get flagged as "captured" so no one can take it over?

If Civ A conquers City B, City B cannot culturally flip back to Civ B even if the cultural pressure later on is extreme, correct?

If City A conquers City B, can City B be culturally flipped by Civ C?

Does a city ever become vulnerable again (say if the original owner conquered the city back)?

2. On a somewhat related note, when a city is retaken by the original owner, it's culture value is restored. Does this decay over time? Say City B is captured by Civ A. Civ B recaptures City B 100 turns later - is all the culture still there from when it was captured, or does it decay?

Your best option would be to message the mod creator directly, or else post a message in the thread dedicated to that particular mod.

ChicagoCubs said:
@Fung3

In a One City Challenge, the player can only have one city. Any city that the player captures is instantly razed (no choice about it).

Thanks Buddy, I didn't know that you could not capture cities on OCC, I thought it meant that you just couldn't build settlers.

ChicagoCubs said:
What statistics go into the rankings/score shown in the lower right corner of the screen?

AFAIK it goes something like this

1. Land area
2. Population
3. Tech
4. Wonders
5. Don't know

What percentage of winning should you have to make an attack worth?

When moving my mouse cursor over a Cottage/Hamlet/Village, the infobox sometimes says: "City must work to become Hamlet/Village/Town". What is meant by this, and how do I get these improvements to grow again?

"working the tiles" mean that in the city view screen (double click on the city), that tile has to have the white circle over it.

Eyeflash said:
When moving my mouse cursor over a Cottage/Hamlet/Village, the infobox sometimes says: "City must work to become Hamlet/Village/Town". What is meant by this, and how do I get these improvements to grow again?
Cottages only grow when they are being "worked" by a population point from a city that has the cottage within its fat cross. When you go into the corresponding city screen a white circle must be around the tile with the cottage. The current game has a nasty habit of changing worked tiles, so you need to keep an eye on it. Every time a city finishes production, it's a good idea to examine the city to ensure everything is being worked that you want.

Excellent, I'll pay attention to that then, thanks a bunch. I guess I shouldn't let the cities manage that automatically.

A quick question from a newbie...

Can anyone tell me if a human players reputation from game to game is used in new games? For example-if I were to play a few games as a heavy warmonger, would the warmonger reputation carry over when I start a new game? Does the AI use this previous reputation as a guide in how to react to my new game play? Or does the start of a new game also mean the start of a new reputation for me, meaning I start each and every game with a clean slate? Thanks.

I'm pretty certain that you always start with a clean slate. Wouldn't make much sense otherwise, it'd be like: "Hey Mao, I remember you from when you were still Julius Caesar! You were a total ass back then, now I'm going to settle the score!"

Eyeflash is right, there is no carryover, though that would be an interesting counter to how we know how the different AIs will react to a given situation based on our knowlage of there personality.

Lost I read that forum but it was all about making new skins and such. didn't help me very much but thanks for trying. If anyone could try and help me with my Mod's that be great. I just can't get them to work. I think I have them in the wrong spot so someone please help me.

Top Bottom