Resource icon

Cultural Diversity

Wow. If i knew how to mod, i would make a civ out of every culture group...

Hi, JFD. Note that I uploaded some Galleon Reskins, if you'd like some additional embarked units for Cultural Diversity.

They look great; though they might be too specific to use for the Culture groups. Maybe I'll find a use for them elsewhere though :shifty: :p

Somewhy none of the soundtracks work in my game... :/ With the Aesthetic addon on i kerp just hearing silence when I play - not even the original soundtrack. I'm using RED, YnAEMP, your civilizations, Finland and Events&Decisions. They all are fully updated.

I'd also love to see an "Andean" group to be honest, but I'm not sure how well it plays into division given the number of civs per group... It would be like this:

• First Nations - Yupik, Haida, Iroquois, Dene, Inuit, Blackfoot, Cree, Wabanaki, Squamish,
    • Begin with a source of Improved Fur nearby.
  • Tribal Americans - Cherokee, Kuhikugu, Shoshone, Sioux, Tupi, Navajo
    • Begin with Archery and an Archer
  • High Americans - Aztecs, Maya, Muisca,Olmecs, Zapotecs
    • Begins with a Shrine
  • Andean - Chimor, Inca, Nazca, Tiwanaku, Aymara, (Caral, Uru)
    • Begins with an improved Farm

Of course, I understand if the split seems a bit bad because it reduces the High American group a lot. However, know that I plan to help with that by doing some more Mesoamerican civs :rolleyes: ... The logic of the improved Farm is because all Andean civs had to develop important agricultural techniques to survive in the Andes (like the Nazca Puquious or the Huari/Incan terraced farms, or the Aymara vertical trade)

Otherwise, it can wait until I have enough civs, I will try searching for Andean splashscreens if needed... Hangman made an Andean soundtrack a while ago.

As for an embarked graphic... I'm making a Totora Reed embarked graphic for the Uru, which could seriously work for them all.

I think a High / Andean split makes a lot of sense, as cultures (and in regards to their starting bonuses) they really don't have much in common at all.

I'd also love to see an "Andean" group to be honest, but I'm not sure how well it plays into division given the number of civs per group... It would be like this:

• First Nations - Yupik, Haida, Iroquois, Dene, Inuit, Blackfoot, Cree, Wabanaki, Squamish,
    • Begin with a source of Improved Fur nearby.
  • Tribal Americans - Cherokee, Kuhikugu, Shoshone, Sioux, Tupi, Navajo
    • Begin with Archery and an Archer
  • High Americans - Aztecs, Maya, Muisca,Olmecs, Zapotecs
    • Begins with a Shrine
  • Andean - Chimor, Inca, Nazca, Tiwanaku, Aymara, (Caral, Uru)
    • Begins with an improved Farm

Of course, I understand if the split seems a bit bad because it reduces the High American group a lot. However, know that I plan to help with that by doing some more Mesoamerican civs :rolleyes: ... The logic of the improved Farm is because all Andean civs had to develop important agricultural techniques to survive in the Andes (like the Nazca Puquious or the Huari/Incan terraced farms, or the Aymara vertical trade)

Otherwise, it can wait until I have enough civs, I will try searching for Andean splashscreens if needed... Hangman made an Andean soundtrack a while ago.

As for an embarked graphic... I'm making a Totora Reed embarked graphic for the Uru, which could seriously work for them all.

High-American would almost become Meso-American, if not for the Musica. The Musica aren't Andean in any way?
I'd also like to eliminate the name "Tribal-American" as it thematically conflicts with Piety and Prestige.

So that's Andean, First Nations (possibly with a more inclusive name), Bantu (same as afore), West African, and, ideally, a new name for Tribal and High Americans leftover. Any other split suggestions? I don't want to over-saturate things, or, rather, to dilute the groups, but I don't want to add things only for someone to then suggest another :p And 21 is a terrible number. I'm in no rush to start updating yet, of course.

I still stand by the need for a Latin Colonial and Anglo-French Colonial split. Only because in all my games that the fee Settler is crazy, crazy, crazy powerful. You basically become the Deity player. I've played matches with Australia, Canada, Mexico, Philippines, Roosevelt and Argentina on Immortal and Deity and found the games to be really a lot easier because of that.

How's this?

Latin Colonial: Start in a Golden Age
Anglo-French Colonial: Capital claims all unclaimed Bonus and Luxury resource tiles within its working radius.

It's a reasonably intuitive split - the unique soundtrack and splash screens are already there - and the Colonial group is large enough. I do like the starting in a Golden Age idea. Very well; that makes 22 Groups, which is probably enough.

Extra production and extra gold, mainly; not good enough for a UA, but might be enough for a CulDiv group. If it's not enough, a WLTKD wouldn't go a miss on top.

Would Indigenous or Aboriginal work for the First Nations group name? Would give a place for the Austronesian aboriginal civs.

Indigenous would be a troublesome name, as pretty much any pre-colonial civ would be fitting - the Maori, Maratha, Zulu, Tupi etc. Aboriginal doesn't quite have the same issue, but IIRC it's a bit controversial as a term, at least in Australia.

At this point, Aboriginal is more specific than Indigenous, but less so than First Nations, so is the best fit. People (generally speaking :p) will just have to get over their connotations, if any. Muisca and Masaai can be slipped into Andean and Bantu, respectively, for pragmatics sake. The only name I don't like is Tribal American; especially now that the High American counterpart is gone. So suggestions are welcomed.

So, splash screens for Bantu, West Africa, Tribal-American, and Aboriginal are most needed (some existing African and Tribal will work for one or the other, of course, but a selection is always good).

*_* ... Start with a Golden Age is so amazingly amazing for Latin America... Makes me want to cry :')

About Tribal... Well, IMO Aboriginal is worse than Tribal American because of connotations [perhaps only in Spanish though]... Another word that usually describes these civs is "Chiefdom" (or more specifically "Paramount Chiefdom"), but it technically still refers to Tribal systems... Another name is "Nomadic American"... but I'm not 100% it encompass that many civs... (the Tupi are easily Tribal, but not really Nomadic)

I think there's some confusion. Aboriginal isn't replacing Tribal American as a name. They're still two distinct groups. Aboriginal is intended to encapsulate the First Nation civs of Canada/North America + the Sami + Australian aboriginals. Nonetheless, Reedstilt is on the hunt for a better name/grouping :D

Nonetheless, Reedstilt is on the hunt for a better name/grouping :D

I know you're not entirely happy with this new division yet, so I thought I'd put it up for additional brainstorming.

Ongwehonweh: This Cultural group represents agricultural Native Civs. The name comes from the Iroquois Constitution, referring to the Original Peoples who possess land rights under Iroquois law.
  • Civilizations: Iroquois, Cherokee, Tupi, Kuhikugu
  • Starting Bonus: Either the current Tribal American bonus, or a free Granary (Central Europe gets something new, like extra sources of Wheat).
  • Unique Event: Green Corn Festival - Earn Golden Age points for each Farm and Plantation in the empire.

Getanteget: This Cultural group presents non-agricultural Native Civs. Its name comes from the M'ikmaq word which covers the same conceptual space as "hunter-gatherer."
  • Civilizations: Shoshone, Sioux, Dene, etc.
  • Starting Bonus: Begin with nearby sources of Furs; or begin with Trapping.
  • Unique Event: The War Chief event you mentioned before can go here; or one that discovers new hunting grounds - revealing a new Camp-upgradable Resource.

While that's nice for the American civs, that still leaves the problem of Australian Aborigines / Sami.

Top Bottom