A Poser.

Riker13

King
Ok I want the Paratrooper to upgrade to a Special Forces unit I have made in my own little mod but to make the Special forces unit you need a Special Forces training camp.

Problem I have is that the Paratrooper can upgrade to the Special forces unit even though a Special Forces training camp has yet to be built?

Now you cant make a Special Forces unit without the building that's fine but all Paratroopers can upgrade to it like magic?

Any suggestions?

Regards

Riker13 :crazyeye:

Perhaps make a unique Strategic Resource that the SF requires, but can only be acquired by building the Training Camp?

Yes I did think of that as an option, I may have to give it a try bit of a pain but still.

I wonder why it upgrades like that though bypassing building that are needed and such?

But thanks for your reply :)

The upgrade system does not care about buildings. Units are not required to be in cities to upgrade, therefore the game does not concern itself with buildings that are required to build or buy a unit from scratch. Two different game mechanics are involved.

Resource requirements hold true regardless of how the unit is "acquired". This the game can do because resources are accounted for at the empire level, not at the city level.

Ahh thanks LeeS yes understand now, well have no choice then but to make a unique resource for it.

Or ditch the building requirement. No other units have a building pre-req.

Fair point. Still, that's a unit that has no upgrade path and is thematically tied to unis. No military unit needs a special building to produce it, paratroopers don't need a jump school, big ships don't need a dry dock, etc.

Thinking about this a little more, it might be possible to do a UnitPanel.lua change that disallows upgrading the Paratrooper to the Special Forces unit unless the Paratrooper is in a city that also has the Training Camp building.

Hopefully one of the forum members (like Nutty, ViceVirtuoso, BouncyMischa, or Whoward) who have more knowledge/experience on creating custom unit panel lua files will see your thread and confirm or deny whether this would be workable. I've only ever once successfully done a custom pushbutton edit for a unit, and there are some issues related to how the AI players function that might make this idea non-workable as a solution.

Top Bottom