Got My 20 for Cultural Victory, and Won't Let Me Build United Nations

CharlieM

Creative, Spiritual
I am Lincoln, and I reached my 20 for Cultural Victory. I know this because (well, because I'm not an idiot, but just to make it clear to y'all) the advisor told me I did it, and because I can see it with my own eyes when I hold R2 and look at the victory conditions chart.

I let a turn pass, even two. I have no option to build the United Nations wonder in any of my cities.

What gives?

AARRGGH! Help! The Aztecs are closing in on a Tech win, with the first rocket part launched.

Oh, and it's not 2100 yet. Still about 50 years away.

The advisor probably announced you reached the 20 items needed for cultural victory when you received a great person. However, great person only counts toward cultural vixtory after he's settled in a city.

However, great person only counts toward cultural vixtory after he's settled in a city.

Wow, I'm an idiot. "One-more-turn-itis" took my brain.

I think I gave one of my Great People to the Aztecs, when he came knocking a few turns back. At this point, I show as having 19/20 needed for Cultural Victory.

I re-read the rules, and see that I not only need to generate a GP, but I have to settle him in my OWN city. Wow, I'm an idiot.

In the meantime, the Aztecs have launched part one of their spaceship for Tech win. I'm already at war with them. I guess it's time to send spies to try to sabotage production of the ship or steal back a Great person.

Any other ideas on how to stop an opponent's Tech victory, while trying to complete your own Cultural victory?

King level.

Spies would probably be effective. Laying siege to as many cities as you can would help too (just in case you aren’t familiar with Civ, this simply means putting units all around their cities so that they can’t work those tiles). If you get them on the run, they might change their government too (to fundamentalism, for instance) which would help slow their tech advance.

A nuke works nicely too.

Well, now I've taken two Great people from the Aztecs. I'm winning the air and sea wars, and I'm five turns from completing the UN and winning the game.

However, the Aztecs need (I think) one more part to complete their ship. I've seen two parts get built (does it take three or four parts to win?).

Is there a way to find out WHERE/WHAT CITY the Aztecs are building spaceship parts in, so I can go sabotage them?

(other than sending spies into every city they have until I find the right one .... at this point, I think I have about three down and 10 to go! .... yes, they have a ton of cities...)

for starters, the space ship can have up to 4 fuel pods, 4 engines, 3 habitation modules, and i *think* 2 life support pods.

so that's at least 13 parts to make.

also, the tech victory does not come when you launch your ship, it is given when the ship *arrives* at AC. so if they haven't built all 4 engines, it's going to take that ship about 15-20 years to get there leaving you lots of time to finish the UN

If your 5 turns from completing the U.N, then I wouldnt worry about the Aztecs.

If they complete their last part of the spaceship, they don't win. They have to build the spaceship and discover alpha centauri (the fastest my spaceship went to alpha centauri was 12 turns). So if they just built their last peice of the spaceship they still have 12 or more turns till they can possibly win. But since you build U.N in 5, you win! Good job!:D

On a similar note, I wish that spies (for instance) could show you everything that an enemy city was doing / had in it (i.e., the entire stack of units, what they're producing).

I miss being able to get this information (you can in Civ IV) and I think it's an easy thing for Firaxis to implement that will make spies more valuable at all stages of the game.

Top Bottom