Unit Making Tutorial by utahjazz7 (May 9, 2005)

I'm sorry. I'm having some very difficult personal problems, and I just can't help right now. I'm really sorry.

Can anybody else help me? I'm on "building the model" part 5.

UVMapper interface is different from the way it is described in the tutorial. There's no "export texture map" option, only "save model," "save texture map" and "export uvs." Selecting "export uvs" gives me all kinds of options that aren't mentioned in the tutorial. The program wants to save the file as a uvs rather than a tiff. If I give it a tif extension, neither photoshop and paint shop pro can open it.

It can use any props that fit it! Most clothes won't fit the Paperdoll and can't be made to, because the Paperdoll has different body parts from the figures that most clothes are designed for. But things that don't need to fit so exactly will probably work. For example, you can probably make any hat look fine on the Paperdoll. And other objects, such as weapons, will probably be fine too. So as a rule, props from other sources are fine but conforming clothing isn't.

There seem to be a lot of props on the web free for the taking, but they are made with various programs and come in various formats. If I want to make a prop available in Poser, is it simply a matter of putting it in the correct folder, or is there more to it? Does the prop have to be modified, formatted? Does that require a special program?

Iron Beagle said:
There seem to be a lot of props on the web free for the taking, but they are made with various programs and come in various formats. If I want to make a prop available in Poser, is it simply a matter of putting it in the correct folder, or is there more to it? Does the prop have to be modified, formatted? Does that require a special program?
If the PROP is made for poser, it will not need to be resized. Most modelers will scale their item for you.
If it is another 3d object you wish to use, it will have to be scaled. Poser has a very different scale. Everything has to be significantly reduced once it is imported. I have no idea why they did it this way... it doesn't save memory or file size... since the data is exactly the same no matter how tightly the co-ordinates are packed.
Just do as Quinzy said, if the item is a 3ds or OBJ file, just import it and resize it in Poser.
Or you can load the free copy of Bryce you hopefully downloaded. Import the paperdoll figure. import the object (in nearly any common format) and resize it there and then export it in OBJ for use in Poser.

question: how would i go about making kin's wings conform to the PDM's arms? i just wanna squash them down so that they're basically feathers, and i't like to have them correspond to parts of the arms and move with the arms :)

Plan A: Did you try just having them parent to the arms?

Plan B: If that fails, make two of them, and adjust the starting position so that one is correctly parted to the right arm and make the left wing invisible (object properties, just uncheck visible, shadows, etc) and do the opposite for the other arm/wing.

i never thought of plan B! thanks Bjorn!

edit: but they still wouldn't "conform" to the arms, would they? they wouldn't bend at the elbow for example.

Quinzy said:
i never thought of plan B! thanks Bjorn!

edit: but they still wouldn't "conform" to the arms, would they? they wouldn't bend at the elbow for example.
I don't recall where those wings are articulated. But if they do not blend there, than you can use more than one wing per arm.. Just make them shorter and thicker/thinner as needed. There are wings out there that are like arms and could be parented correctly to an arm. But, the render times with them tend to be horrible.

I would check it out, but I am only just tonight re-installing Poser.

Top Bottom