Warhammer Version 1.4

Well, when I did it I extracted to my Downloads user file, then moved the stuff from there - sometimes a direct extration will create an extra "layer" file, so instead of Civ4/BTS/Mods/Warhammer/whatever you'll get Civ4/BTS/Mods/Warhammer/Warhammer/whatever, which will mess with everything. I'm assuming you know this already, but everyone makes dumb mistakes sometimes.

Thanks for the Orcish stuff. So, basically, Animosity has two effects - directly, units will randomly die/go Barb, and indirectly I'll get XP from killing them. Great!

I've got my eyes on Brettonnia - Knights are cool - if only they weren't, well, French. Or in France. I'll call them Norman, that'll make me feel better.

Brettonnia is based on Arthurian Britain as much or more than French high chivalry. Their patron is basically the Lady of the Lake.

I'll check to see if I did something stupid like that; entirely possible :)

@Ahriman : you need to rename the folder 'Warhammer', and delete the 1.4 stuff, then it works fine.

@Orangebidule : I'm totally offended by what you say about french people. I have so many unpleasant things to tell to you, but no time to do it. I'll live with it.

This may be a bad place to ask this, but I've never actually played a full game of Warhammer - I DL'ed the last version but was stuck on FFH, so never tried it much - and I'd like to play the actual world map, not a random one. However, that map is (was?) flawed with a CTD. Has this/will this be fixed?

And, as long as I'm making unreasonable demands ("Give me your peanuts!" - "What peanuts?" - "GIVE THEM TO ME!!!" - "Yes, of course!" ), is there anywhere to go to figure out the wierd stuff in Warhammer? The UU's are pretty easy to figure out, the UB's too - but many of the spells are obscure, who knows what the Orcs are doing, some of the other civs may be crazy too, and NONE of the World Improvements say anything. I'm scared to try out a game...

As Ahriman said alrady, the map is *very* broken and i havent worked on it in AGES. i definately plan on making a new map (or hopefully fixing this one to save the effort) but it will probbaly not be a planned thing, it will most likely pop up when i find myself with more free time than i know what to do with :p

also, that second bit is not unreasonable at all, it is very relivant and i think after i impliment necromancy and elementalism magics (very soon) i will go through and try to completely finish the pedia entries for what we have. its just so time consuming that i have been avoiding it, but i definately recognise that it is important :)

I've got my eyes on Brettonnia - Knights are cool - if only they weren't, well, French. Or in France. I'll call them Norman, that'll make me feel better.

as ahriman said bretonnia is basically a hybrid between french chivalry and arthurian legend.

@Orangebidule : I don't like to make customers (even non paying ones) flee, but you'll be surprised to learn that I'm french, and that I F**K you. That's all. Would I know were you come from, I would make some nasty comments.
So I ask you to no more play this mod,'cause it's partly, well, FRENCH. How, I disgust myself now, I'll have to wash my mouth. Dang B*****D

Humakty, i will NOT tolerate such abuse in this forum, especially not from team members, i am not a moderator but i will not hesitate to contact one if such talk continues. i understand that what Orangebidule said could have offended you but you dont need to be so aggressive over it. a simple "im french and find that insulting" would have sufficed.

so Orangebidule and humakty, id appreciate it if you either appologised or moved your argument to PM.

----------

EDIT: also, the reason for some peoples DLs not working is that the Warhammer.ini did not update as it should have. ill upload a quick fix to force and update.

I'm so sorry, but it's true that blatant ethnicism early in the morning makes me react.

@Ahriman : you need to rename the folder 'Warhammer', and delete the 1.4 stuff, then it works fine.

Feeling slightly stupid... this seems to fix the problem. PL, is that all that the patch did (changed a few lines so that they pointed to warhammer 1.4 instead of warhammer)?

About the french thing; I think orange was mostly joking. I've been living in the US for some years now (I'm originally from New Zealand), and people here mostly make jokes about France/the French in a mostly ironic sense; they're making fun of anti-Frenchness (and the ridiculous things that happened here post Iraq war start - "Freedom Fries" and such) as much as they making fun of French people.
Except among a handful of people, I actually find it is much less passionate than English anti-French sentiment, or French anti-Americanism.
As for us Kiwis... we're still pissed about the Rainbow Warrior - and the rugby world cup, some years ago (knocking us out in the quarterfinals? How dare you!). Mostly the Rugby.

@ Humakty

It's just something we say - a joke about France's military history (or, rather, the possible lack thereof).

From what I can gather, many French/European people dislike Americans much more than we, in general, feel negative about the French. We really don't have many angry feelings at all, actually (in Ahriman's works, we're not "passionate")... other than, perhaps, a sort of bromance relationship with the Aussies (you too, Kiwis!) and that little in-joke over the fries :p.

(or, rather, the possible lack thereof)

I do find this one slightly bizarre, given that France was arguably Europe's dominant military power for ~450 years (end of 100 years war though to end of napoleonic wars). Plus, you know, Charlemagne. Americans have no sense of history :)

this should fix the "GFC error: failed to initialise the primary control theme." error when trying to load the mod

Actually, I changed the mod name back to Warhammer 1.4 and installed the patch and got the error again. whereas renaming the mod folder Warhammer and NOT installing the patch worked fine. I'm going to go with this for now.

Actually, I changed the mod name back to Warhammer 1.4 and installed the patch and got the error again. whereas renaming the mod folder Warhammer and NOT installing the patch worked fine. I'm going to go with this for now.

urgh but it worked when i did it :confused: no idea why it wouldnt work (the .ini change SHOULD have fixed it all... unless the rename back to warhammer then warhammer 1.4 then instalation of the patch changed it all... i havent a clue....im confusing myself now, pay no heed to me lol)

I had a similar problem renaming mod folders for another mod, must be tied to font size or something. The best thing to do is to copy paste the name in the .ini . Then it SHOULD work. Maybe.

If you want to see someone that really has it out for French military exploits (I think he's a Brit), check out this site. I, of course, in no way sanction this version of French history, but if you squint your eyes a bit it makes sense, kinda.

I'll admit, I am a little behind on my European history - I keep forgetting the order of the Thirty Year's War, Hundred Year's War(s), the Protestant Reformation conflicts, etc. - Compared to most Americans, though, I'm a mile beyond because I even know these existed.

But that's off topic. Started my first game today, we'll see how these Arthurian French guys do...

Hundred years war = 14th/15th century conflicts of the competing claims of English and French claims to areas of (modern) France and to the French crown. Joan of Arc, Crecy, Agincourt, etc. Eventually the English get booted off the continent except for Calais.

French wars of religion = late 16th century, basically massive civil war conflicts and turmoil that end with the protestants getting the boot. I don't know that much about these.

30 years war = early-mid 17th century religious war protestant vs catholic. Starts basically as a religious war within the HRE as various elector states go one way or the other, but expands into a general French vs Hapsburg competition for continental dominance. Lots of mercenary armies. Big swedish intervention - this is Gustavus Adolphus, who goes on a rampage through germany. In the end, no-one really wins much, and the war totally destroys much of (modern) Germany from economic collapse, massive pillaging and depopulation (total German population reduced by like 25% or more). Solidified French power as the dominant military presence; really showed up the decline of Spain.

France lost a ton of wars to some extent basically because they were really good at getting people to unite against them (Prussia, Austria, Russia *and* Britain?!?).

Right - then after the Thirty Year's War, the French and Brits get into their little spats (French and Indian Wars - or whatever they call them in Europe), followed by the American Revolution, which influenced the French Revolution, which led to Napoleon, who was replaced by the monarchy then Nappy III, who got beat by the Prussians, who united Germany and went a-conquesting. Got it.

Actually, the French and Indian wars were barely a skirmish in a relative sense; basically they were just what the colonial troops did while Europe was busy fighting the 7 Years War.

But yeah, thats the order. Also, the War of Austrian Succession is in there just before the 7 years war (1740s or so?), and the War of Spanish Succession before that (early 1700s, battle of Blenheim and all that).

Damn, thinking about all this stuff again really makes me look forward to Empire Total War. That game should be awesome.

Of yeah, I forgot a couple of those "empires falling into pieces" wars. I'm going to enjoy Empire, too - the only games that come close to the Total War series are, ironically enough, the Civ series. It's a tie there - but I'm interested in how they're going to do combot now that it's all ranged. All the tactics are different...

@PL: The installer is nice when there are patches out and nwe people come to the forum. When I first dled Warhammer, I had no clue what I was supposed to overwrite. Also, the GFC control thing in on the FFH bug thread. IIRC, it is when the mod is installed in the improper spot.

@Humakty: orangealex probably meant no disrespect to the French army, but in America there is sort of the 'french military joke'. From most people in america, the extent of their knowledge of the french miltiary is WWII and WWI, both of which, no offense, France didnt do so well in. Napoleon, Charlemagne, and other french generals were awsome and for the most part france was strong militarily.

@Ahriman: I cant wait for Empire TW too, but it probably will crash my graphics card.

hey I'm American and I heard about the 100 year war and WW II, so they finally made a prequel to WW II huu?

I meant that most people, although they know of the 100 years war, the only two battles they know are Crecy and Agincourt, not the greatest example of the French Army. Besides, Im just trying to stop an argument, lest it become nasty.

Top Bottom