Sid Meier's Civilization IV Info Center

Kind of strange that there are so few informations available, no?

There are pitfalls to saying too much or giving out information too early, such as creating high expectations or being seen as making promises (which they may not be able to keep, for any number of reasons).

I think it's an encouraging sign that they aren't engaging in hype.

- Sirian

Yeah, working in software, I can understand why you stay hush until you're well along.

I'm surprised they've even announced a release date.

You'd be surprised how pissed people can get about a small thing. "I THOUGHT YOU SAID THE BOX WOULD BE RED?!?!?!! WHY DO YOU HATE YOUR FANS?!?!?!?!"

dh_epic said:
You'd be surprised how pissed people can get about a small thing. "I THOUGHT YOU SAID THE BOX WOULD BE RED?!?!?!! WHY DO YOU HATE YOUR FANS?!?!?!?!"
People that say that are just whiners. ;)

*Goes and hides someplace safe* :lol:

Also, it's a fine line between "Product Perfection" for the Fans (i.e. CFC Patrons) and "Product Sales" for the masses! (viz. Making Money)

I'm guessing that with console games, like GTA, you would need a higher quality product before you release it......as you can't be downloading patches. This would suggest to me that the Quality Assurance team from Take2 might require a higher quality product from Firaxis than what they are used to? (viz. Don't release Civ 4 with obvious bugs!)......Not that I knew anything about Atari, except they're French-owned and losing money...so what, you say?!

The downside to this would be a delayed Release Date.

This is all guesswork on my part and it would be great to hear from someone in the "know"! :mischief:

So, what's better: Scheduled Release Date + Bugs... versus Delayed Release Date + Less Bugs + More Features, maybe? At least, in the latter case, we can still play Civ III! ;)

EMan said:
The downside to this would be a delayed Release Date.

In the name of quality, I, like many others, would not mind a release date delay at all.
It is much better to delay a product and fix a few obvious bugs, and improve other not so obvious mistakes than to release it, and have us find these bugs.
A lot of people, when they get the game (mainly not so hard-core fans), if they find bugs or mistakes, they wouldn't be very happy. Some might not even know where to look for help.

I also think that Take-Two will be careful about Civ IV. They want to make a good impression. After all, it is the first Civilization title they are publishing.

I wouldn't mind a delay. I say take as long as you need to balance it.

But truthfully, you'll never find bugs or gameplay imbalances with a team of a dozen or even 100 testers the same way you'll find bugs and imbalances with thousands of people playing all the time.

Civilization is in a unique position where it has such a devoted franchise following -- they could find thousands of people willing to beta test, no doubt. I would totally advise doing something along the lines of the Half-Life 2 release, where you can pre-order it online and start playing before the official release. This isn't just for devotees, but an effort to make balancing and testing run a lot faster!

I for sure would prefer a delay than to have a messy product as C3C has been.
Be assured, I can easily wait a week or two before I am going to grab it from the shelves. This will give me some time to learn about the experiences which the ones who couldn't have waited will have made.

OTOH, I followed the build up to the release of 'Rise of Nations' fairly closely and, as I recall, both Brian Reynolds and Tim Train regularly interacted with the fans.

PeteT said:
OTOH, I followed the build up to the release of 'Rise of Nations' fairly closely and, as I recall, both Brian Reynolds and Tim Train regularly interacted with the fans.
Just goes to show that fan interaction does not necessarily produce a decent game. RoN has no depth, but that could be RTS games in general (RoN is the only RTS I've played).

EDIT: But RoN's music is great -- I play it while I'm civving.

Jaybe said:
Just goes to show that fan interaction does not necessarily produce a decent game. RoN has no depth, but that could be RTS games in general (RoN is the only RTS I've played).
RTS games are usually devoid of depth. They are usually "obliterate your opponents with a small set number of units/buildings and usually no modding potential" games. I like Civ because its moddable, has more than one way to win, actually requires a brain to play, and requires strategic thinking to win, and has more than one "age" to play in (C&C games are almost always future or very modern).

CurtSibling said:
If CIV4 allows sceanrios, events and the making of a good WW2 mod, I will be over the moon!

I have worked in games before, and do 3D graphics daily, so I can say the screenies
thus far are no doubt just prototypes...And seem pretty heavilyl zoomed in too.

:)
I already plan to make a WW2 Europe scenario for Civ4 ;)

I'd really like to beta test - is that OK if you live in the UK? Or do you have to pay extra P&P?

Jamesds said:
I'd really like to beta test - is that OK if you live in the UK? Or do you have to pay extra P&P?

I would say you'd just have to find a place in the queue :mischief:

I'd agree that RTS gameplay is a different animal from Civ. One of the best things Civ has going for it are the multiple ways to win.

Take that away, and you might as well have a turn based Age of Empires. And Turn Based AoE would probably detract from the military action anyway.

This is probably the first big update posted, and it is from the Game Informer Magazine (the April Issue). :D

A big thanks to WildFire for sharing the news!!!
He also mentiones that the screenshots in the magazine look "really, really sweet."

Check out the first page! :)

only 19 civs? awwww.... :(

o well, i guess we will be able to add as many as we want. :D I am looking forward to religion and great prophets! Civic options should be sweet too. The new terrain improvements are also well received. Its a shame we cant add worker actions/terrain improvements in CivIII (even though Firaxis can as they proved with Conquests and the barricade).

Top Bottom