WOW

sabo

My Ancestors were Vikings
I haven't played this game for quite some time, I played it again and it still has all the luster it had before, it's a great game. It seems that the spy's have changed somewhat though, it looks like they are much more restricted than earlier versions. Is that true or am I missing something?

You are probably missing something. Do you generate enough espionage points?

Well, BTS expanded espionage significantly and introduced spy points. I think spies were there in vanilla but it was very limited and lame. Check out the spy advisor in the top right, for all the mission costs. Tip: build the Great Wall for a good chance of getting a Great Spy early on, which you can use to infiltrate another Civ and get thousands of spy points against them. Especially effective if you have an advanced neighbour off whom you can steal lots of techs.

I must have an early version, I'll check it and upgrade.
I downloaded it.

This version doesn't have Great Generals either, I downloaded it from a site that specializes old games. Does anyone know where I can patch it up to current?

I'm not sure what you mean by "downloaded from a site that specializes old games". Only legit site like that I'm aware of is GOG, and pretty sure they don't carry Civ IV.

Sounds like you just have the vanilla version of Civ IV without expansions.

I recommend purchasing the Civ IV Complete edition from one of the legit online vendors like the following:

greenmangaming
direct2drive
gamersgate

or

Steam

Humble Bundle may have it as well

Ofc, you can also get a disk version on Amazon as well, if that is what you prefer.

The Complete edition has the full game. You will want to play BTS. If the game is not fully patched already (3.19), some vendors like D2D have their own patches you can downloaded. If not, you can download the patches here.

Cheapest and best way to get CIV4 is imo. buying a 2nd hand version on Amazon.

Then one doesn't has the problems that come with trying to patch and install BUG / BUFFY correctly which come with the Steam version and I'm pretty sure that 5€ / $ is hard to beat.

A CIV V LOVER. ;)

I picked up the complete addition on Amazon for 9.99 awhile back. Still in the original wrapper.

Steam etc are really a huge rip-off. The prices are so artificially high, it's unbelievable. Get the full retail version from Amazon on DVD for less than half the price.

Who in their right mind would sell Civ4? :crazyeye:
Pretty sure I sold my Civ 4 at some point years ago, since I was too addicted. Ended up buying it again a year or two later...

It's a site that only sells old games, for a price you can download as many games as you want for a certain amount of time, it's great and it's legit. I already own a copy of Civ IV and Civ V, I'm just too lazy to dig through boxes and boxes in my storage area. I just want to know where to go to patch it. See www.old-games.com it's just like GOG except you don't have to pay for every single game, just one time for a day or a month and you can download as many as you want.
I'm not sure what you mean by "downloaded from a site that specializes old games". Only legit site like that I'm aware of is GOG, and pretty sure they don't carry Civ IV.

Sounds like you just have the vanilla version of Civ IV without expansions.

I recommend purchasing the Civ IV Complete edition from one of the legit online vendors like the following:

greenmangaming
direct2drive
gamersgate

or

Steam

Humble Bundle may have it as well

Ofc, you can also get a disk version on Amazon as well, if that is what you prefer.

The Complete edition has the full game. You will want to play BTS. If the game is not fully patched already (3.19), some vendors like D2D have their own patches you can downloaded. If not, you can download the patches here.

You can't patch it to get the features that you want. From your comments about what you don't see, it sounds like you have the basic "vanilla" CIV (the original game). The features that you are commenting on are all from the expansion, "Beyond The Sword" or BTS. To get them, you need the expansion, patched to the last version 3.19. There is no way to do that to the original, although the original does need to be installed in order for the expansion to work.

Um.. no it's beyond the sword and warlords, the whole thing. It's version 1.76 or something like that. It came with the expansions but yes bernbaum it does sound like vanilla. Going to go check BRB

You can't patch it to get the features that you want. From your comments about what you don't see, it sounds like you have the basic "vanilla" CIV (the original game). The features that you are commenting on are all from the expansion, "Beyond The Sword" or BTS. To get them, you need the expansion, patched to the last version 3.19. There is no way to do that to the original, although the original does need to be installed in order for the expansion to work.

And Bernbaun Sir, you were exactly correct. It's weird because it created the BTS icon and I watched it install, but it obviously didn't. I reinstalled the whole thing and it works now. I guess my problem is that I'm using virtual CD drives, that can get a little tricky at times.
Thanks all!

That site does not look legit at all... There is no chance they have copyright agreements over all those games or any royalties are being paid. Might as well just download from Pirate Bay.

That site does not look legit at all... There is no chance they have copyright agreements over all those games or any royalties are being paid. Might as well just download from Pirate Bay.

I already reported it to 2K. I'm very skeptical of that site myself. Many sites exist that offer abandonware for free, donation, or some fee - which I understand to be legal for the most part. Civ IV and many of the games I saw in their catalog I would not consider abandonware. You never know, we might be wrong, but I've never seen Civ IV or some of those other games sold in such a way. (You can actually download any game in their catalog for free - by the way)

(also, I discovered very inconsistent reports about the site...the site also appears to be funneled through at least 3 or 4 countries.)

I'm very curious if the OP actually received a license with that purchase.

Those screenshots aren't BTS. (and probably also not Warlords.)
Only 2 English leaders and the Environmentalism civic gives happiness from jungle + forest tiles and has high upkeep.

Just an update that I heard back from 2k regarding my report of the issue. Received a very very nice response from them indicating that they are actually already aware of this site and in the process of handling the matter. So yeah, not legit.

Just an update that I heard back from 2k regarding my report of the issue. Received a very very nice response from them indicating that they are actually already aware of this site and in the process of handling the matter. So yeah, not legit.

That's weird, honest guys I didn't know! besides I own a copy of BTS I just didn't want to dig it out of my storage. So I"m still legit.

Top Bottom