Dawn of Civilization - an RFC modmod by Leoreth

Status
Not open for further replies.
It should work afaik.

thx for great mod. I have a suggestion regarding religions. It would be great to change/replace Zoroastrianism in Middle Age with Shia Islam because the influence of Zoroastrianism sharply declined at this time whereas Shia Islam is still important religion nowadays.

^There's already been quite a discussion about that. IIRC, it was concluded that the scale was either to small, or it would be to hard to actually implement in a meaningful way. Just like how Orthodoxy only really affects three civilizations, Shia Islam would only really affect two playable civilizations (Iran and Egypt), one of which is conditional anyway. There's a thread in the backlog, if you're willing to look.

I participated in that discussion a while back, and IIRC, no idea like hbl13's was suggested. While adding Shia Islam to the roster of religions would indeed overcrowd the game, I think renaming Zoroastrianism "Shia Islam" after Islam comes to the Zoroastrian holy city could work. For example, in the 600 AD scenario, if the Arabs conquer Shiraz in their first wave of conquests, then Shiism would be founded relatively early. However, it could also be possible that Islam never comes to Persia before the Safavid respawn, in which case Shiism would be founded ~1500 AD.

I don't think all cities which have Zoroastrianism should have it replaced with Shiism when the religion is founded, however. I think Zoroastrianism should remain in cities until the arrival of Islam, at which point it would be converted to Shiism (a bit like newly arrived religions turning pagan temples into the appropriate religious temple). It would be necessary to relegate Zoroastrianism to the status of minor religion if this suggestion is implemented, to account for the period of time in which Shiism has been founded, but Zoroastrianism still exists.

I'll conclude this post with a radically different proposal. Leave everything the way it is, but have civics indicate the sect of Islam for Egypt, Arabia, and Iran. When these civs run dynasticism, they are Shi'ite, and those running Theocracy are Sunni. The historical basis for this proposal is the fundamental theological split between the two sects, whether leadership should pass on in a hereditary fashion (Shiism) or be determined by the consensus of the Umma, or community of believers (Sunnism).

This is a strange question, and I am not sure whether it has already been answered or not. Can anyone tell how many square miles (or kilometres) each tile accounts for in DoC? (I imagine it would be the same value for vanille RFC as well, so this may very well be answered somewhere.)

This is a strange question, and I am not sure whether it has already been answered or not. Can anyone tell how many square miles (or kilometres) each tile accounts for in DoC? (I imagine it would be the same value for vanille RFC as well, so this may very well be answered somewhere.)
Map is highly distorted so it differs from area to area.

For example, South Korea is 4~5 tiles, so each tile is 20,000~25,000 sqkm.

Facepalm! Don't know why I supposed each tile would have a fixed value, really wasn't thinking. Of course the the map is distorted to favour places where there is likely to be more action so to speak. For some reason my brain switched off and I never put 2 an 2 together :/

I'll conclude this post with a radically different proposal. Leave everything the way it is, but have civics indicate the sect of Islam for Egypt, Arabia, and Iran. When these civs run dynasticism, they are Shi'ite, and those running Theocracy are Sunni. The historical basis for this proposal is the fundamental theological split between the two sects, whether leadership should pass on in a hereditary fashion (Shiism) or be determined by the consensus of the Umma, or community of believers (Sunnism).

The civic method is probably the best way to go about this...I concur.

You know this way does make sense, and it would be the most logical since, (as far as i know) there really isn't much belief difference between Shia and Sunni, other than who they think should be in charge, while with the Christian religions its makes more sense to have them be individual religions because there are lots of differences in beliefs even between the Protestant religions, Speaking of Christianity have you thought about adding Nontrinitarian Christianity to the game? The two most well known groups in my opinion are the Jehovah's Witnesses and The LDS Church (aka Mormons), Being LDS my self I would actually like to see that added to the game, yes I know that they really aren't that big when it comes to Historical Influence, but it would be an interesting idea. I still think that Orthodox should be the starting Christianity rather than Catholicism, just sticking that out there again.

dang i am rambling on here with ideas, United States Civil war have you guys thought about adding the Confederates, along with other Civs that could be interesting in America, Texas, California, and finally Deseret, while Deseret never tried to become independent (as the Mormons only started to move there during the American-Mexican war, They easily could have tried to become independent and if Deseret did become either an Independent state or a state of the United States their government would have been much different from that of the other states, being an almost theocracy)

For UU's and UB's
other than for Deseret I cant really think of any
Deseret
Navoo Legion
Mormon Temple (would probably be redundent if Nontrinitarian Christianity was added to the game)

anyways if you got this far thanks for reading my post, and thanks for considering my ideas. :D
This mod is awesome!

Facepalm! Don't know why I supposed each tile would have a fixed value, really wasn't thinking. Of course the the map is distorted to favour places where there is likely to be more action so to speak. For some reason my brain switched off and I never put 2 an 2 together :/
The map is also distorted for other reasons, since it is a projection of a sphere surface on a plane. This means a tile near the poles represents a much larger area than a tile near the equator.

The map is also distorted for other reasons, since it is a projection of a sphere surface on a plane. This means a tile near the poles represents a much larger area than a tile near the equator.

Ah anything mathematical is really, really not my strong point, I do seem to remember reading somewhere that in cartography projection of the sphere surface onto a plane isn't area preserving. I have no idea why, and I don't really care to work out the maths behind it, it would almost certainly leave me bewildered and befuddled :lol:

Ah anything mathematical is really, really not my strong point, I do seem to remember reading somewhere that in cartography projection of the sphere surface onto a plane isn't area preserving. I have no idea why, and I don't really care to work out the maths behind it, it would almost certainly leave me bewildered and befuddled :lol:

It's pretty simple.

This is the earth seen from a point above the North Pole. Each ring is represented by a row of square tiles in Civ4.
However, it's clear from the image that the outer ring is larger than the inner rings in area, but yet they are represented by the same amount of tiles in game.
That's also the problem of most older cartographic projections.

Attachments

• ConcentricCircles_1000.gif
    ConcentricCircles_1000.gif
    12.1 KB · Views: 722
It's pretty simple.
This is the earth seen from a point above the North Pole. Each ring is represented by a row of square tiles in Civ4.
However, it's clear from the image that the outer ring is larger than the inner rings in area, but yet they are represented by the same amount of tiles in game.
That's also the problem of most older cartographic projections.

Ah ok, makes sense, and far less complicated than I was expecting :) For some reason I assumed there'd be some complicated maths in there somewhere, shows how much I know.

So is there anywhere where some individual has compiled a reliable indication of the sqmiles area of each tile? I highly doubt it, I'm just wondering in case it does exist, it would be useful to know.

I think originally Rhye used a mercator map when he drawn the globe. However I do agreed it is distorted not only in y-axis but x-axis as well and it should not! Just take a look of Canada, Scandinavia and Japan. I dont know where Rhye cames from but hey those areas are simply badly made but atleast they are not hotspots in game.

Btw does Leoreth code this game alone? Do you have assistants and do you need help? I could start developing DoC as a hobby simply because I think it is awsome mod :)

I think originally Rhye used a mercator map when he drawn the globe. However I do agreed it is distorted not only in y-axis but x-axis as well and it should not! Just take a look of Canada, Scandinavia and Japan. I dont know where Rhye cames from but hey those areas are simply badly made but atleast they are not hotspots in game.

Btw does Leoreth code this game alone? Do you have assistants and do you need help? I could start developing DoC as a hobby simply because I think it is awsome mod :)

I think that Rhye distorted certain regions of the world for gameplay reasons. If Canada was 36x the size of England, not only would it be massive but, since there is <=2 civs in Canada (England and/or France), it would be boring. Similarly, since Europe has so many civs, they need a bigger map than IRL.

I think that Rhye distorted certain regions of the world for gameplay reasons. If Canada was 36x the size of England, not only would it be massive but, since there is <=2 civs in Canada (England and/or France), it would be boring. Similarly, since Europe has so many civs, they need a bigger map than IRL.

Not really. Canada has huge Bay of Hudson with zero purposes. Also all that ice in north has no gameplay purpose.

Scandinavia could be drawn better in existing place.

Japan also has plenty of space around.

All oh those issues one or two squares could do wonders.

Rhye's map uses the Robinson projection, and for good reason. Mercator is horrible with regard to area*, just look at Antarctica. Rhye of course further modified the map, especially by shrinking the Pacific Ocean and enlarging Europe and Japan.

*And it also favors European imperialism :D

Link to video.

I'm doing this alone (although I often rely on stuff already done by others, edead in particular). It's nice of you to offer this but I think the necessary coordination would not be worth the effort.

I was wondering how you get the different soundtracks for different Civilizations of the world. I know you use different eras, but how does it all work? I am asking this because I want to add new soundtrack and make "Native" soundtrack. Since I am a noob modder, how do I code historical respawns (ie Aztecs as modern Mexico, Mayans as modern Central America and northern South America, and the Incans as non-Brazil central and southern South America). I also want to try to add Canada, Israel, Polynesia, Brazil, Zulu (w/respawn as modern South Africa), and Celts (w/respawn as Ireland).

Okay, that's a little tricky and requires a small DLL change.

Essentially, Civ4 stores playlists together with eras. The problem is, I don't want civilizations to actually change eras when playing a different soundtrack because a lot of stuff is tied to eras and it would be a nightmare to actually make this work. Therefore I added "dummy" eras that you never really enter and that contain the new playlists. Then I wrote a new method called "getSoundtrackEra" which replaces the "getEra" call in the method where the next piece of background music is chosen (can't tell you right now where that is). You can then write anything you like into the "getSoundtrackEra" method, like
Code:
CvPlayer::getSoundtrackEra()
{
        if (getID() == MAYA || getID() == INCA || getID() == AZTECS)
                return (EraTypes)ERA_NATIVE;

return getCurrentEra();
}
for your new native era.

Adding completely new civs is a complicated topic, I think Jarkov once wrote a guide how to do this (for RFC vanilla, but most of it is true for DoC still), look for his Civilizations in Abundance thread in the RFC modmod forum.

Adding works similar. Look for the tRebirth tuple in Consts.py and add the year of the rebirth there. This will just bring the old civilization back to life at the date you specified. To change the rest of their attributes (like stability maps etc.) you would have to do basically the same you'd have to do for a new civ, and you use the second dimension of the civ's slot ID to store the information. I suggest you familiarize yourself with the Const.py and Rhyes.cpp files first so that what I've said makes sense :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom